Gibson Brands Forums

2014 120th anniversary vs more recent models

vaxxine

There's a used 120th anniversary model available locally. Is there anything really special about it to make it worth going after versus getting something from the 2016 - 2018 line up ? It is the same priced (used) as a new 2017 Standard in the store.

Thanks in advance

Phil

There's a used 120th anniversary model available locally. Is there anything really special about it to make it worth going after versus getting something from the 2016 - 2018 line up ? It is the same priced (used) as a new 2017 Standard in the store.

Thanks in advance

Phil

Hi Phil;

It'll have the anniversary inlay at the 12th and should have the '61 zebra coils which were only available in these models. I've been personally gassing for one for a while and keep watching my local listings, hoping the deal and my $ align, they always seem to come up while I'm other wise committed. However, these options will never ever make this worth the same as a standard. People can ask whatever they want, wont always get it. Personally I think $600 max used for one of these (Canadian $) in minty shape.

Johnny

Hi Phil;

It'll have the anniversary inlay at the 12th and should have the '61 zebra coils which were only available in these models. I've been personally gassing for one for a while and keep watching my local listings, hoping the deal and my $ align, they always seem to come up while I'm other wise committed. However, these options will never ever make this worth the same as a standard. People can ask whatever they want, wont always get it. Personally I think $600 max used for one of these (Canadian $) in minty shape.

Johnny

Johnny

They wanted somewhere around $1500 for the 2014 120th Anniversary. And about the same for a new 2017 Standard. I'm not experienced at recognizing all the little things that affect the price of these guitars. Both of these had covered humbuckers, high gloss cherry finish, and from what I could tell - 2 piece bodies. But $1500 is a long way from the $600 you're suggesting. There must be something else to account for the price difference. I would also say that the 2014 120th Anniversary model had quite a different neck profile compared with the new 2017.

Thanks for your reply BTW.

Phil

Johnny

They wanted somewhere around $1500 for the 2014 120th Anniversary. And about the same for a new 2017 Standard. I'm not experienced at recognizing all the little things that affect the price of these guitars. Both of these had covered humbuckers, high gloss cherry finish, and from what I could tell - 2 piece bodies. But $1500 is a long way from the $600 you're suggesting. There must be something else to account for the price difference. I would also say that the 2014 120th Anniversary model had quite a different neck profile compared with the new 2017.

Thanks for your reply BTW.

Phil

Ah wait I think I see....

I was thinking this one

http://www.theguitarworkshoponline.co.uk/ekmps/shops/theguitarwork/images/sold-gibson-sgj-2014-sg-electric-guitar-120th-anniversary-fireburst-satin-sold-[2]-5430-p.jpg

And from your most recent post I think you are talking this one

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41zt4CjcQOL.jpg

So different pups with covers and gloss finish.

If I recall correctly (in Canada) the first one retailed around 800 and now I see them on the resell sites around 600, the second one (which I think is what you're looking at) retailed around 1100 and I see them around 8 Standards were around 1600 and i see them for 1200 all day.

Not sure where you're at and how prices compare, but I just don't see the anniversary being worth that much, yeah the inlay is only on the 14 and maybe you just gotta have it, but Gibson made a ton of guitars in 2014 and I'm willing to bet you can find a better deal. If the inlay isn't a big deal the 17 is fairly priced as long as its a player.

Johnny

Thanks for the info guys.

The guitar in this link is just like the one at the local Long and Mcquade store. I have no special interest in the fact that it's a 120th anniversary model; The guitar happens to be there as a used model and I didn't know if there was anything really special about it or not, hence my questions. I've never fallen for this limited edition/collectible hype. From what I see from the replies here, it is a somewhat desirable guitar but over-priced at nearly $1500 Canadian (about $1150 US).

My link

Thanks for the info guys.

The guitar in this link is just like the one at the local Long and Mcquade store. I have no special interest in the fact that it's a 120th anniversary model; The guitar happens to be there as a used model and I didn't know if there was anything really special about it or not, hence my questions. I've never fallen for this limited edition/collectible hype. From what I see from the replies here, it is a somewhat desirable guitar but over-priced at nearly $1500 Canadian (about $1150 US).

My link

Well the guitar in your link, despite the name special in the add, it sure looks like a standard to me. If you click the second link in my previous post you will see the special. There are notable differences, like neck binding, trap inlays vs dots, etc. If its used at a L&M I'd make an offer, bet they take less, I've managed to get them to meet me in the middle more than once.

Johnny

I stopped in again to have a look at this guitar. The price went up since my visit 3 days ago. They increased it to $1600 ! Its a nice guitar but it wasn't any nicer or better that a new 2017 Standard that's priced slightly less. I think I'll look around at the used market in southern Ontario to see what's out there.

I stopped in again to have a look at this guitar. The price went up since my visit 3 days ago. They increased it to $1600 ! Its a nice guitar but it wasn't any nicer or better that a new 2017 Standard that's priced slightly less. I think I'll look around at the used market in southern Ontario to see what's out there.

Since I've been gassing/drooling over some SGs myself lately here's a couple I saw but since I'm up north way too far for me to entertain. I have no first hand knowledge of any of these people or guitars. But, I do quite like the last one, but I'm a sucker for wine. Happy hunting.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-guitar/windsor-area-on/gibson-2016-sg-standard-ebony/1314184282?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-guitar/st-catharines/2004-gibson-sg-special-platinum-edition/1314044928?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-guitar/windsor-area-on/2010-gibson-sg-standard-w-hsc/1310478830?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Archived