Gibson Brands Forums

Chibson's...

NighthawkChris

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like you need to "follow your own sage advice".

That's not mine. That's why it has quotes around it.

There's a word for someone who tells people to do one thing and then does another.....starts with an "h"....it's right on the tip of my tongue......hippo.....hippie...Hippocratic...

I haven't "gone looking for it". I just see "it" when I look for guitars.

And even if you don't look at guitars on Ebay or Craigslist or whatever Youtube is full of videos about Chibsons, both reviews and how to spot them and every guitar board has people asking "is this guitar legit". I don't go to Youtube to watch videos of Chibsons, they just pop up in my feed because I watch a lot of guitar videos.

If you look at guitars or guitar videos on the internet or frequent guitar forums it's impossible not to notice fakes or posts or videos about them.

Some of these guys seem older and maybe aren't on the interwebz all that much but I'm always looking for guitars, deals on guitars etc. Fakes are everywhere.

Ebay for anything: Nope

Craigslist for anything: Nope

YouTube: Rarely and usually just when someone here posts something

I don't really frequent any forums but this one. I'm definitely one of the "older" guys at 52 years old. I work in IT and I don't really shop for used guitars online. I've bought a couple things from Reverb but most of my Gibson purchases have been from a Gibson dealer, pawn shop or another music stores. So, you're encountering such things more than someone like me. That's not necessarily a bad thing but just the difference between me seeing them and you seeing them. I don't see it as big of an issue because I don't know anyone who's intentionally or unintentionally bought a fake Gibson thinking it's real.

Ebay for anything: Nope

Craigslist for anything: Nope

YouTube: Rarely and usually just when someone here posts something

I don't really frequent any forums but this one. I'm definitely one of the "older" guys at 52 years old. I work in IT and I don't really shop for used guitars online. I've bought a couple things from Reverb but most of my Gibson purchases have been from a Gibson dealer, pawn shop or another music stores. So, you're encountering such things more than someone like me. That's not necessarily a bad thing but just the difference between me seeing them and you seeing them. I don't see it as big of an issue because I don't know anyone who's intentionally or unintentionally bought a fake Gibson thinking it's real.

Craigslist and Ebay are great places to buy guitars and equipment from if you know what you're doing. Especially Craigslist if you're quick. If I was better at fixing guitars and setting them up I'd flip guitars.

That's not mine. That's why it has quotes around it.

There's a word for someone who tells people to do one thing and then does another.....starts with an "h"....it's right on the tip of my tongue......hippo.....hippie...Hippocratic...

Still sage advise

If you are fool enough to buy a "Gibson" LP Custom for $300 from China. You did not get ripped off. You got what you paid for. Hell an Epi LP is only a few hundo. No one who complained on this page is going to do one thing about fakes but complain. LAUGHABLE.

You're quite the humanitarian and obviously read what I actually wrote.

"get over it".

I have been wondering about that brace of Cristal you bagged a while back...

msp_wink.gif

Pip.

The Roederer page asks for your bottle number to verify it. If it isn't, you print a page and return it to the retailer, assuming you didn't buy it in the parking lot at the office.

It was exquisite.

rct

Some were fabulous singer/songwriter/arranger/frontman/video artists:

4266ab0573f759e161b992f0ea3b1b90--adamant-ants.jpg

rct

He was dressed like a Highwayman like Di*k Turpin... But I can see why one would think pirate (well, very camp pirate wearing lip gloss anyway ;) )

He was dressed like a Highwayman like Di*k Turpin... But I can see why one would think pirate (well, very camp pirate wearing lip gloss anyway ;) )

Have you seen him lately? He lives like a block away from you, right?

rct

The copies in the 70's were made by legit guitar companies like Ibanez.

Ibanez makes guitars?

I thought it was just a brand used to make eastern produced products sound more western (albeit Spanish). That's what my luthier always told me.

Oh well, the Internet is such a useful resource to broaden ones knowledge.

I'll chime in from the perspective of a relative newcomer to this.

When I first heard the term Chibson, I thought it may have been in reference to Epi's. I don't know where one would go to find one of these or how you would come across one. I assume Ebay or something like that. Maybe Craig's list.

I do believe that anyone who thinks they're buying a real Gibson for pennies on the dollar from a sketchy source, it's probably not the first bad decision they've made and likely won't be the last. Likewise, if you think you've found a special, highly valuable instrument at market value from a sketchy source, and you proceed without knowing what you're doing, also, bad judgement.

You can't protect people from themselves and it doesn't seem like anyone is ever going to be able to stop the manufacture of these fake products. So that's that.

It's like cheep "Japanese" swords. You can probably find one on Ebay for $25 bucks and hang it on the wall, but it won't make you a Samurai. Everyone knows that real Samurai don't shop on Ebay.

Archived