Gibson Brands Forums

Buying Guitars Back

zombywoof

Some of the worst mistakes I have ever made were selling/trading guitars. With me there are generally two things going on - it allows me to snag something else I want or I have slipped into that frame of mind that I own way too many and need to thin the herd out. It was the second mindset that motivated me on this one. When we were preparing to move, I decided to let go of three guitars to lighten the load. Over the months though, I found myself being haunted by one - a 1950s blonde Epiphone Triumph Regent. Although I am not much of an archtop guy, this was not only the best sounding guitar I had ever gotten my hands but I had put a ton of work into it to bring it back to life. My blood literally seeped into that top.

So anyway, I contacted the guy who I sold it to. It took me a bit but the upshot is I am today cutting a check to send to him. Even paying $200 more than I solid it for to cover shipping and any inconvenience.

So has anyone else ever gotten into that seemed momentarily reasonable but quickly regretted things.

I had a Gibson Heritage Custom which I loved, but when the Martin HD-28's first came out I had to have one. That was in my gotta-sell-one-if-you're-gonna-buy-one days, so I sold the Gibson to buy the Martin. I kept track if it for a long time and vowed I'd get it back one day, but I've long lost track of it now. Still have the Martin, still love it, and still miss that Heritage :( .

More than 45yrs ago I traded a brand new Mosrite Ventures Model for what turned out to be 4 Firestone retreads. I have always weighed that one as maybe my ultimate folly in this existence!

edit: I always own up to it in these such situations as some sort of ongoing belated guilt therapy ... maybe.[crying]

“4 Firestone retreads” ? I think we’re done here… Tough to top that one.

I’m still regretting selling the Kalamazoo archtop last weekend at the Fall Philly show.

Other lesson learned: The financial pitfalls involved in owning a guitar a without a truss rod.

Other lesson learned: The financial pitfalls involved in owning a guitar a without a truss rod.

Bwahaha - On the lesson learned, more than 1/2 of the guitars I own do not have any neck reinforcement. But I know from experience a truss rod is not going to save you. While I will not name names, when you do not spend the time to do the dovetail right choosing rather to fill gaps with glue, no truss rod in the world is going to spare you the pain of a neck reset.

Buy low, never sell. If you sell, then you don't have the guitar anymore and can't play it. Seems obvious to me. Also, it makes people think you are rich because vintage guitars increase in value, so if you don't sell them you can own guitars you could never afford now -- that's why you could never buy them back. Alternate facts.

Let's pick,

-Tom

I have a hard time letting go of anything I've convinced myself I needed at one point... [woot]

THAT said... a few regrets. for sure..

my first "REAL" guitar (Blonde Fender Telecaster) 1970ish.. the whole idea of sentimental value didn't occur to me when I traded it for a 73 strat, which was one of the micro tilt neck nightmares... I often remember cutting my teeth on that tele.. should-a kept it.. I was young and in need of a (SLAP!)

'62 D18, '57 J45, re-topped '37 L00, '59 & '62 Guild M20, '57 Martin 017, '56 ES 125T 3/4. Never tried to buy 'em back, but when vintage prices jumped I saw the replacement cost was suddenly out of my range.

I'm gonna' cry...naah, I'm gonna' drink and pick my regrets away.

my first "REAL" guitar (Blonde Fender Telecaster) 1970ish.. the whole idea of sentimental value didn't occur to me when I traded it for a 73 strat, which was one of the micro tilt neck nightmares... I often remember cutting my teeth on that tele.. should-a kept it.. I was young and in need of a (SLAP!)

With me it was a 1958 Tele. I played it for decades. Finally sold it when I no longer played electric and it's value passed $10K. I had nightmares about it not being there for weeks.

60's Country Gent, Gibson Heritage, 2 Guilds from the mid 70's with the dark wood, and a white Les Paul Custom - all sold at various times to pay rent in the lean early 70's. Miss the Heritage most but back then I had more hair than brains.... now I have more guitars than brains - or hair. It all works out in the end. Except for the brains part :)

BC Mike

Regrets .....wished I had never.......yea I have 2 concerning guitars.

I traded in my 62 stratocaster in 1986 for a Martin J-40 since I never played electric anymore that one still hurts........

I gave my 59 double cut Les Paul jr to my nephew who was "in a band" in SanDiego someone stole it in less then a month.

Ever since I never think about thinning the herd just about adding to it. Absolutely no regrets about that

Love one woman, many guitars.

First nice guitar I bought was an early 90's Lowden F24. Fought with their then standard 1 11/16 nut. Traded it for a late 90's F24, made after they changed their standard to 1 3/4. It wasn't close to as good a guitar. I've since learned to get along with that size nut.

Two weeks ago I saw a Denver shop list an F24 that I thought was my original. After all, Lowden only made a couple dozen of that model. I called to ask about it ..."oh, you mean the one we sold half an hour ago?"

So no, I haven't bought one back but I was ready to drive 4 hours to see if that flame still burned.

I have eight acoustics, and I have come to the realization that they give me more pleasure than any other material object I own. I need practical things for comfort and security, for the general well being of my family. The guitars I need for the well being of my own soul.

In the past, I sold a few when fellings of guilt came upon me. I felt that I was not a good enough player to deserve these guitars. These days I don't feel that way. I play all of my guitars and use them, to the best of my ability, to make music.

As long as I'm not careless financially towards myself, or the ones I love, I intend to keep my guitars, or even buy new ones in the future.

Lars

In the '70s, I'd buy instruments at flea markets & found a few sweeties I probably should have kept, like a very nice '48 L-48, '50s LG2-3/4, '50s ES-125, '60s Epi Cortez, etc, along with a number of Guilds I'd purchased new, and a wonderful '70 00-18 via trade. But eventually I'd thin the herd until it was down to two guitars, and those two also ended up being traded.

No real serious regrets & in recent years, rather than hoping to buy back the same guitar, I've searched out equivalent or better replacements for just about all of my bonehead moves from the past. That process has been a ton of fun, and at this point in life I would agree - Keep 'em all if you can!

Archived