Gibson Brands Forums

Salvator Mundi

merciful-evans

Mrs and I have stood a few times at the only Da Vinci in America, down at the National Gallery in Washington DC. It is a beauty to behold.

About 20 odd years ago, Mrs and I were lucky enough to see the Da Vinci sketchbooks that your fine Queen owns. They made it to three museums here and Philly was one. I can see them as if I was standing there right now. It was 1992 she says.

rct

Mrs and I have stood a few times at the only Da Vinci in America, down at the National Gallery in Washington DC. It is a beauty to behold.

About 20 odd years ago, Mrs and I were lucky enough to see the Da Vinci sketchbooks that your fine Queen owns. They made it to three museums here and Philly was one. I can see them as if I was standing there right now. It was 1992 she says.

rct

That would be the Cartoons right?

As Peter Cook said "I couldnt see the bloody joke..."

the 7 minute point:

Looks like such a beautiful picture just from pictures on tv. I would love to see it in person or any Da Vinci for that matter.

RCT, Is that a permanent resident at the national gallery?

It is. Ginevra de' Benci.

rct

$450,000,000 burning a hole in my pocket and no Da Vinci pictures left ! :(

Out of curiosity I had a quick look at the Wiki entry for the work.

The seller, Russian businessman Dmitri Rybolovlev, bought the painting in 2013 for $127.5m which means that, fees and commissions apart, the thing returned him a rather whopping/impressive/obscene premium of $320,000,000 in just four years...

msp_mellow.gif

Pip.

Out of curiosity I had a quick look at the Wiki entry for the work.

The seller, Russian businessman Dmitri Rybolovlev, bought the painting in 2013 for $127.5m which means that, fees and commissions apart, the thing returned him a rather whopping/impressive/obscene premium of $320,000,000 in just four years...

msp_mellow.gif

Pip.

Amazing! just goes to show, money makes money. We still don't know who bought it, I would guess a private buyer as a museum would make it known.

Archived