Gibson Brands Forums

hello everyone..1978 custom?

kolhauszer

hi everyone kolhauszer here with a question

i am going to be on the receiving end of a cool trade

a 2010 mccarty 58 goldtop for a 1978 gibson custom

her neck on both sides need to be repainted..there is a fist sized chunk of paint missing from the back of the body

would it be expensive to repair that,,would anyone know of her true value?..thanks

and those would be american prices..im sorry i should have mentioned that i live in canada,,i will send you a link so you can see her real photos

here she is fellow lester fan

and thanks

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-guitar/ville-de-montreal/gibson-les-paul-custom-1978/1308927521

Looks pretty good, honest play wear, I bet it plays and sounds killer.

I've an 87 that is starting to loose finish on the sides and back of the neck, my buckle rash on the back hasn't hit wood yet though.

The price is on the high end but not ridiculous from what I see locally to me.

Johnny

im sure shes a killer especially with one original neck paf pick up in her belly

but not as killer as the help my friend..my thanks..i was a prs man..still in my heart but last month i tried my first 60s style neck and since than im so comfortable around les pauls..im not afraid of their weight anymore..although im uncertain if this one is weight relieved..or chambered as you guys call them

considering her age im guessing not

the trade for the mccarty 58 is an awesome deal then i know that now..my thanks again johnny

peace

im sure shes a killer especially with one original neck paf pick up in her belly

but not as killer as the help my friend..my thanks..i was a prs man..still in my heart but last month i tried my first 60s style neck and since than im so comfortable around les pauls..im not afraid of their weight anymore..although im uncertain if this one is weight relieved..or chambered as you guys call them

considering her age im guessing not

the trade for the mccarty 58 is an awesome deal then i know that now..my thanks again johnny

peace

You're very welcome. You are also correct that the 78 wont have weight relief, it will be a solid mass of mahogany (hopefully lighter than mine at almost 12 lbs). The 9 hole Swiss cheese didn't start until the early 80's, full chambering was late 90's/early 2000 I think and the spoke relief more recently.

Good luck and be sure to post back once you get her.

Johnny

i want her..i want her bad

another friend of mine who loves lesters strats and prs advised me not to

i sent him the link and she yes she is honestly worn,,but for the trade for mine it wouldnt be justice

the electronics of the time im told were very sub par and the paf is not original..in those times they used paf account number stickers for identification

and he mentiones that after many years,,gibson necks had tendencies to wrap more rapidly then other cpounterparts even though the owner of the 78 swears she great

i believe both of course

the vol pot mid range does not straighten out properly according to the owner..and im still uncertain to what that might mean

there are 350 viewers on his beauty and still unsold..there are 50 on my mccarty 58

now mine and his are very close to the same value very

mine i was told only goldtops are custom requested..the gold top is mint..stock 5708s and signed by paul reed smith..on the headstock

i mean yes they are both of the samw value..ive always wanted a vintage guitaR but his needs so much work and mine is flawless..both of the same value..ots so hard knowing what to do when you really want something but..i believe i will turn it down....my thanks for the help fellow jammers..peace

i want her..i want her bad

another friend of mine who loves lesters strats and prs advised me not to

i sent him the link and she yes she is honestly worn,,but for the trade for mine it wouldnt be justice

the electronics of the time im told were very sub par and the paf is not original..in those times they used paf account number stickers for identification

and he mentiones that after many years,,gibson necks had tendencies to wrap more rapidly then other cpounterparts even though the owner of the 78 swears she great

i believe both of course

the vol pot mid range does not straighten out properly according to the owner..and im still uncertain to what that might mean

there are 350 viewers on his beauty and still unsold..there are 50 on my mccarty 58

now mine and his are very close to the same value very

mine i was told only goldtops are custom requested..the gold top is mint..stock 5708s and signed by paul reed smith..on the headstock

i mean yes they are both of the samw value..ive always wanted a vintage guitaR but his needs so much work and mine is flawless..both of the same value..ots so hard knowing what to do when you really want something but..i believe i will turn it down....my thanks for the help fellow jammers..peace

Good man, go with your gut. If I listened to mine more, I would have made far less mistakes.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Farnsbarns

You're very welcome. You are also correct that the 78 wont have weight relief, it will be a solid mass of mahogany (hopefully lighter than mine at almost 12 lbs). The 9 hole Swiss cheese didn't start until the early 80's, full chambering was late 90's/early 2000 I think and the spoke relief more recently.

Good luck and be sure to post back once you get her.

Johnny

Guest Farnsbarns

Why are used customs so high over there? With the substantial damage described it would be about £1500 here, maximum. I was, in afct, looking at a 76 in good nick the other day at £1800.

Why are used customs so high over there? With the substantial damage described it would be about £1500 here, maximum. I was, in afct, looking at a 76 in good nick the other day at £1800.

First thanks for confirming the relief dates in the other post.

To start with I guess is the cost of a new LPC here in Canada, from the only big box chain (most of the little Mom & Pops are dead and gone)in the country it'll be just over $6300 with taxes. I just did a quick search of one of our major classifieds for my province and they start at $2400 and go up with the average around $3500 topping out with someone looking to get 13.5K for a '69.

Guitar and gear related stuff I don't find cheap in Canada and you can't import it and save because the duty and taxes at the boarder. You can occasionally snipe a good deal in the local ads but you have to be ready and quick.

Johnny

Archived