Gibson Brands Forums

NGD - Sheryl Crow SJ Supreme

Bozz

The box arrived yesterday, but it had a long cold truck ride from Greg Boyd's House of Fine Instruments in Missoula, so I decided to let it sit unopened for a full 24 hours. I've been interested in the Sheryl Crow model for a while, primarily because of the Adirondack top, Adi/Hide glue bracing, and Waverly tuners. My first impression of this one was that it's a beautiful guitar in virtually unplayed condition. It has a great sunset burst, very dark rosewood fretboard and really colorful MOP parallelogram inlays. The top is tight grained in the center and wider toward the edges. Rectangle bridge and a long saddle. Not sure if the saddle is glued in, or dropped in. It weighs in at 4 lbs.6 oz. I like light guitars, but this one is light enough that it still feels responsive. The neck is comfortable, maybe a Modified V profile. It also has an Amulet pickup which I have not yet plugged in. I had some concern the guitar might sound a little shrill for a while but it's the total opposite, very rich and full and pleasing. It will be interesting to see how it breaks in. I'm looking forward to some playing time!

6IKEryM.jpg

The box arrived yesterday, but it had a long cold truck ride from Greg Boyd's House of Fine Instruments in Missoula, so I decided to let it sit unopened for a full 24 hours. I've been interested in the Sheryl Crow model for a while, primarily because of the Adirondack top, Adi/Hide glue bracing, and Waverly tuners. My first impression of this one was that it's a beautiful guitar in virtually unplayed condition. It has a great sunset burst, very dark rosewood fretboard and really colorful MOP parallelogram inlays. The top is tight grained in the center and wider toward the edges. Rectangle bridge and a long saddle. Not sure if the saddle is glued in, or dropped in. It weighs in at 4 lbs.6 oz. I like light guitars, but this one is light enough that it still feels responsive. The neck is comfortable, maybe a Modified V profile. It also has an Amulet pickup which I have not yet plugged in. I had some concern the guitar might sound a little shrill for a while but it's the total opposite, very rich and full and pleasing. It will be interesting to see how it breaks in. I'm looking forward to some playing time!

Not sure how to post an image since Photobucket changed their business model, so here's a link.

https://i.imgur.com/EjaICun.jpg

Not sure what's nicer - the guitar or the setting it's in :)

It's no fun to wait, but better safe than sorry. That is a beautiful guitar.

I just changed image hosting to imgur, too. When you write the post, click the insert image button and paste the image url (https://i.imgur.com/EjaICun.jpg) into the pop up. Like this:

EjaICun.jpg

Thanks SirNed! I'll give that a try. Here's the whole family, including a couple of second cousins.C6PnSCy.jpg[/img]

Not sure how to post an image since Photobucket changed their business model, so here's a link.

https://i.imgur.com/EjaICun.jpg

Nice Guitar... also... Greg and his staff are great to deal with, and a lot of Cool Guitars..

Very nice, indeed. But what are the details on the two beautiful bursts flanking the SCSJ?

Also- Buc McMaster pointed out that in imgur, if you select the "BBCode" link, it allows a pic to be directly embedded into your post without having to use the drop down box. More easier.

Congrats on the new SoJo!

Yes, Greg and his staff were extremely helpful and a pleasure to work with. He loves talking guitars and obviously knows a great deal about vintage instruments. He used to be a Gibson dealer, so he knows something about the guitars coming out of Bozeman today as well.

Very nice, indeed. But what are the details on the two beautiful bursts flanking the SCSJ?

Also- Buc McMaster pointed out that in imgur, if you select the "BBCode" link, it allows a pic to be directly embedded into your post without having to use the drop down box. More easier.

Congrats on the new SoJo!

Thanks for the additional tip on the 'BBCode' link. I'll give that a try here too.

The two bursts flanking the SCSJ are a Hummingbird New Vintage and a J-45 Iced tea.

XjnVqaM.jpg

Yes, Greg and his staff were extremely helpful and a pleasure to work with. He loves talking guitars and obviously knows a great deal about vintage instruments. He used to be a Gibson dealer, so he knows something about the guitars coming out of Bozeman today as well.

Im more than familiar with Mr Boyd.. Great guy.. I was actually Intruduced to him via Gibson Montana back in 1991. I believe we did dealings in over 50 guitars a year for about 8 years. Hes the best in the Biz.. he knows his stuff... just seem him this past summer as well..

Im more than familiar with Mr Boyd.. Great guy.. I was actually Intruduced to him via Gibson Montana back in 1991. I believe we did dealings in over 50 guitars a year for about 8 years. Hes the best in the Biz.. he knows his stuff... just seem him this past summer as well..

That's nice to hear.

Archived