Gibson Brands Forums

All walnut J45

Mr. Paul

Would make a good coffee table.

Walnut bridge. The herringbone trim does look good on it, though. ‘Suppose if one wanted to get a sense of the walnut sound, this would certainly do the job. I wouldn’t mind giving it a spin. Pricey, considering walnut is one of the more sustainable species.

Rotomatics ? ?

That is without a doubt the worst looking set of walnut I've ever seen used on a guitar !

[biggrin] . It's true, walnut can be much more dramatically figured. . . not used to seeing walnut tops to begin with. But I was wondering how OP Mr Paul even found the listing in the first place; going through the Wildwood drop down menus for Gibson-->acoustics->slope shoulder, clicking on the "J-45 Mahogany" the listing opens to the J-45 All Walnut Herringbone.

I LOVE the look. The herringbone frame is awesome. Then again I love my Martin D15.

Seriously, this is right up my alley.

Has anyone played an all Walnut guitar?

I like it too, but I've always liked Walnut.

I have a 1979 Walnut SG and it's a tone monster.

And.

'Murican......

Given the opportunity, I'd try one. Nothing about it calls my name. Absolutely hate Martin's newer hog tops (owned a few before admitting that), but love the vintage ones. Never warmed to hog top Gibson guitars, either, except for the vintage wartime models. To me, the old hog top, ladder braced Harmony guitars sounded much better than the newer Martin 15s/Gibson hog tops. Guild did some fairly decent (arched back) hog D-25s once upon a time. The idea of premium prices for non-spruce top wood is a bit disgusting, though I could be converted if walnut 'booms and chimes' with great authority☺

Archived