Gibson Brands Forums

The Ventures

Californiaman

So what do you think about the Ventures?

I've had the pleasure of seeing them and have several of the band's CDs.

So, did you know they are the best selling instrumental band of all time.

Inducted into the Rock-n-Roll Hall of Fame in 2008, they are the most popular American rock group in Japan.

In 1965 the band had five top ten singles in Japan.

I know that some will say that they are all about the "surf music" sound, but they were much more than that.

Check out the amp set up!!! OMG how freaking cool is that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0b1BK3j16c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFnhvj2pIB4

I have had the pleasure to meet Nokie Edwards a couple times and he is just a sweetheart of a man. He goes to the Chet Atkins Appreciation convention every year in Nashville, he has been slowed down a bit since sufferring a stroke but still plays pretty good. Last time I was there there were actually a group of Japanese that flew in from Japan just because of Nokie. The Ventures had some cool music.

Noki Edawards was originally brought into the group to play bass, think it was late 1958 or 1959 with Bob Bogle playing lead guitar.

Then around early 1962 if I remember right, Noki and Bob switched with Noki playing lead guitar and Bob playing bass.

Have always loved the Ventures sinse hearing them in the late 1950s.

Loved the Ventures. I was inspired to play he guitar because of them and my cousin that taught me to play had me play a lot of their songs. Used to have their albums and Walk Don't Run was one of my favorites. One reason I watched Hawaii 5 0' was because they did the theme song and I had to learn that one. I wish I had a Mosrite guitar and have been looking into them for awhile now. Best ones are very pricy but you can find some good ones for a couple of thousand. Did not know they were a big hit in Japan. That explains why I've been finding so many Japanese made Mosrite guitars for lower prices. Didn't know if the pickups were the same as some say they have different ones in them. They are in better shape though being made in the 2,000's.

I don't know much about the Ventures, but I had this phase where I loved playing **** Dale's music (i.e. **** Dale = king of the surf guitar) on my guitar, and somehow the Ventures came up... I guess that by default I probably will dig the Ventures... I will plan on giving them a good listen here soon. I am pretty sure I have heard some of their music over the years unknowingly, so when I listen to this band a little, I will probably hear some familiar sounds.

EDIT: LMAO, I can't post "Richard" Dale msp_biggrin.gif

For those righteous folks who wish to 'beat the profanity police'

There is an effective remedy

D!ck looks very close to the abbreviated Richard

And elicits a snigger from most normal people who like to beat the system every once in a while.....[thumbup]

V

:-({|=

I still have my Play Guitar With The Ventures learn to play lp around in the record collection somewhere. But, I messed up and let the Mosrite go for those 4 Firestone retread tires (I know!) on one bad day 45+ years ago! Still kicking myself to this day. < admission of guilt again. *severe guilt! :wacko:

So what do you think about the Ventures?

I've had the pleasure of seeing them and have several of the band's CDs.

So, did you know they are the best selling instrumental band of all time.

Inducted into the Rock-n-Roll Hall of Fame in 2008, they are the most popular American rock group in Japan.

In 1965 the band had five top ten singles in Japan.

I know that some will say that they are all about the "surf music" sound, but they were much more than that.

Check out the amp set up!!! OMG how freaking cool is that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0b1BK3j16c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFnhvj2pIB4

I love the ventures. To me they always sounded like spaghetti western music. I’m more familiar with them through movies than hearing them on a radio or stereo but I did have their greatest hits when I was a kid. My favorite of theirs is the Hawaii 5-0 theme. Such a badass theme song.

I love the ventures. To me they always sounded like spaghetti western music. I’m more familiar with them through movies than hearing them on a radio or stereo but I did have their greatest hits when I was a kid. My favorite of theirs is the Hawaii 5-0 theme. Such a badass theme song.

I love the Ventures and their music. I love the hooks, melodies and tones. I started playing when I was 10 years old (64 now) and Walk Don't Run was one of the first songs I learned to play. I still love playing it.

the ventures were AWESOME!

i saw an interview with d!ck dale, where he talked about leo fender making amps, and them sending them to him for testing. the idea was, if they could survive d!ck's harsh treatment, they were ready for the general public.

this is my fav venture song - not really surf, i dont think, but somehow, unmistakably ventures' sound:

Part of the reason for their unique sound was the use of flat wound strings.

When they really were running strong in the mid 60s, Noki Edwards stopped using the flat wound strings, but he was using medium to heavy gauge string.

I read a while back that later in life he started using much lighter gauge string.

Guess it happens to all of us, as the ol hands and fingers grow tired and weak, you just can’t pull those bends like you once could .

Archived