Gibson Brands Forums

2017 Les Paul Classic?

SMH

Hello! Im hoping someone can help. I bought this Les Paul that was listed as a mint 2017 Less paul Classic American Tobacco Sunburst. It was stripped down, just the body and neck, paid $1099. I knew there was a problem when I went to put on a Historic abr-1 bridge and the posts were to small.It has the bushings for a Nashville bridge.

I believe it may be a 2011 Traditional, a limited edition, or possibly a 2017 Traditional. I think the truss rod cover was changed to a Classic, i guess it could be a Classic or could be a counterfeit.

Im not a dealer, just a guitar player. I moved alot of gear to get this and rest of the parts. Im going to open a case with ebay and could use whatever info I can get. If it is a 2017 Classic Ill just shut and play it.

Thank you, Steve

Serial number: 170018553

Bridge pickup cavity marked: CPC5 17

Neck cavity marked: TO

Having trouble uploading pics

Hello...

Yes.. Don't bother trying to upload them to the Gibson server you get almost no space at all... Upload the pics to a photo hosting site and use an external link. A lot of us are using https://imgur.com/ once uploaded to there copy the BB Code it gives you directly in to your post. Up to 10 images per post.

Hello! Im hoping someone can help. I bought this Les Paul that was listed as a mint 2017 Less paul Classic American Tobacco Sunburst. It was stripped down, just the body and neck, paid $1099. I knew there was a problem when I went to put on a Historic abr-1 bridge and the posts were to small.It has the bushings for a Nashville bridge.

I believe it may be a 2011 Traditional, a limited edition, or possibly a 2017 Traditional. I think the truss rod cover was changed to a Classic, i guess it could be a Classic or could be a counterfeit.

Im not a dealer, just a guitar player. I moved alot of gear to get this and rest of the parts. Im going to open a case with ebay and could use whatever info I can get. If it is a 2017 Classic Ill just shut and play it.

Thank you, Steve

I don't believe that Gibson offered a Les Paul Classic in a tobacco burst finnish in 2017! Both Classic HP and T models were Green Ocean Burst, Heritage Cherry Sunburst and a Gold top. The 2017 Classic (traditional line) had a couple of extra options later in the year and they were a Heritage Cherry Sunburst with a Plus top and the other color was Surf Green. I didn't see any 2017 Gibson Les Paul Classic tobacco Burst. As for the 2017 Gibson les Paul Traditional I do not believe they offered a tobacco burst finnish either. The Traditional line colors were Antique Burst, Heritage Cherry Sunburst and Honey Burst.

This is from Gibson's web site.

“A lot of the counterfeiters are using the standard eight-digit series. For the most part, it looks real. But there are some obvious indicators—if it starts with a five, for instance. We don’t start any eight-digit serial numbers with a five. Or it might be an eight-digit serial number that indicates it was built on the 700th day of the year. In a case like that, we’re clearly dealing with a fake guitar.”

Thank you, Steve

\

Looks like a 2017 Les Paul Classic T to me. They have the bushings now so they can interchange the NEW ABR and The Nashville at the factory. A Historic ABR will not fit, the post are a different size. Go to Stratosphere guitars and look at them stripped down like you have there and you will see this is a legit Gibson. Probably a special run for Guitar center or AMS which accounts for the color. here is that exact guitar from Stratosphere, a very reputable company.

https://stratosphereparts.com/2017-gibson-usa-les-paul-classic-t-body-neck-project-american-fireburst/

If the first and fifth numbers indicate the year it was made, and numbers 2,3,and 4 indicate the day of the year it was made, then day 700 indicates its clearly a fake.

on a 2017 the first and second digit is the year. they started that in 2014. Absolutely not a fake. you can see the 3 piece head-stock in the photos. the nylon nut, nibs on the fret ends.this is the ABR bridge you need . https://stratosphereparts.com/gibson-usa-les-paul-traditional-tune-o-matic-bridge-tailpiece-aluminum-nickel/

I can not find anything that would tell me that this is a fake. I do see that the serial numbers can begin with the year. The only thing I can find, after scouring the internet, is a sam ash traditional limited-edition model and a the same model sold by a Canadian company. Sam ash sold these guitars for $1599 and offered a $200 coupon making it $1399. Not a bad price. The finish isnt as nice as all the Classics I had tried out, but over all it is a decent looking guitar. Im hoping Gibson will get back to me to verify exactly what this guitar is. I am still sceptical this is a Classic and more likely a Traditional, but I can be wrong.

A traditional is a higher-end guitar, then a classic. according to the pickup cavity code you listed, it is a Classic, but either way, you have a very nice instrument there for the price you paid.

I can not find anything that would tell me that this is a fake. I do see that the serial numbers can begin with the year. The only thing I can find, after scouring the internet, is a sam ash traditional limited-edition model and a the same model sold by a Canadian company. Sam ash sold these guitars for $1599 and offered a $200 coupon making it $1399. Not a bad price. The finish isnt as nice as all the Classics I had tried out, but over all it is a decent looking guitar. Im hoping Gibson will get back to me to verify exactly what this guitar is. I am still sceptical this is a Classic and more likely a Traditional, but I can be wrong.

Archived