Gibson Brands Forums

AC/DC Malcom Young Dead at 64

RevDavidLee

Textbook pocketness right there. [thumbup]

When it happens there is nothing else like it. It is why we play. Anybody can get out front and wank, it's when everyone is hitting it just right(or wrong), making it all work as a song. And that one is a great pocketness tutorial!

rct

This really bummed me out. AC/DC were one of my biggest influences when I first started out playing and still are. One of my favorite bands for sure. One of my all time favorite guitar players, too, and one of the best rhythm guitarists ever. What a blow! RIP Malcolm! [crying] I guess this is the year entertainment died, Chapter 2. [crying]

Just finished watching a bunch of the Live at Donington DVD. I really like that concert.

I'm so glad I was able to see them live. Never got to see them with Bon. But I saw the Who Made Who Tour. And at least Malcom was there.

In my opinion Malcom is the "King of the Open Chord Riff". He made those open chords ring out so rockingly good! [thumbup]

RIP Malcom. Thanks for all those great songs, and thanks for those great sounding open chords!!! :)

Just finished watching a bunch of the Live at Donington DVD. I really like that concert.

I'm so glad I was able to see them live. Never got to see them with Bon. But I saw the Who Made Who Tour. And at least Malcom was there.

In my opinion Malcom is the "King of the Open Chord Riff". He made those open chords ring out so rockingly good! [thumbup]

RIP Malcom. Thanks for all those great songs, and thanks for those great sounding open chords!!! :)

That Live at Donington concert was one the best ever of any concert captured on DVD. For those of you who don't own the DVD or haven't seen it - here ya go [thumbup]

THUNDERSTRUCK!

This is sad news. AC/DC were the second band I ever got into after hearing the 1992 'AC/DC Live' album version of Highway to Hell on the radio. I was 8 then and since that time have bought all their albums and DVD's - even the collectors stuff, Bonfire, Backtracks and Plug Me In. Unlike many of their fans I like the Brian Johnson era just as much as the Bon era and even enjoy their unpopular 80's albums such as Fly on the Wall, Blow Up Your Video and Flick of the Switch.

The first stadium concert I ever went to was AC/DC in Sheffield Arena back in 2000. I was unprepared for how ridiculously loud they were and was actually scared I'd have permanent ear damage afterwards! Great concert all the same and glad I got to see them while Malcolm, Phil, Cliff and Brian were still in the band. Even though I have always been a fan, I really hope they don't continue without these core members as I think it would end up hurting the legacy that these guys made. Asking Axl to join them for those dates was a bad move in my opinion, even though he did a good job.

For me AC/DC died with Bon. I very rarely listen Brian era AC/DC. BIB for as great as people think it is, for me Powerage is and will always be AC/DC's zenith. If I hear You Shook Me All Night Long one more time I might vomit in my mouth.

Who know what it takes for bands to stop. Yes (The Prog Band) has no original members and are still touring and recording. Why? The Stones are still wanking about. Why? I jammed Powerage yesterday. Never get bored of that one.

Powerage is definitely my favorite studio album by AC/DC. The live album with Bon, "If you want blood.." is another favorite. I spent many hours listening to those albums and learning songs from each. I loved AC/DC's albums with Bon Scott.

For me AC/DC died with Bon. I very rarely listen Brian era AC/DC. BIB for as great as people think it is, for me Powerage is and will always be AC/DC's zenith. If I hear You Shook Me All Night Long one more time I might vomit in my mouth.

[thumbup] My opinion too, FZF. So many good songs on that album. (See my sig. [wink] )

Who know what it takes for bands to stop. Yes (The Prog Band) has no original members and are still touring and recording. Why? The Stones are still wanking about. Why? I jammed Powerage yesterday. Never get bored of that one.

I agree Powerage is a classic and one of their best, but when I first heard them Brian was the singer and I didn't even realise until a few years later that Bon was the original singer (I was a kid after all and in the pre internet age). When I first heard Bon I didn't like him as much as Brian. I imagine their are a lot of younger people who first knew of them in the 80's, 90's and 00's way after Bon died.

[thumbup] My opinion too, FZF. So many good songs on that album. (See my sig. [wink] )

Up until about the mid 90s AC/DC was still cranking out great songs. One of my favorite AC/DC songs is Big Gun but for some reason they’ve never played it live. It’s git a killer ruff though. I think that was probably the last great AC/DC song.

Their newer stuff is slower and seems (even) more blues based. I bought Black Ice and Ball Breaker but I don’t think I listened to either one of them more than once or twice.

I did think Axl did a great job singing for them though.

What sad news (apologies for joining this thread late), and condolences to the family and friends of Malcolm Young.

When I first heard “Jailbreak” back in 1976 as a kid, I was hooked and the more music I heard from AC/DC the more they became my favourite rock band, and whenever I saw them live, I was completely blown away by how tight they sounded live, and how their live stuff actually sounded better than their studio material (the mark of a great rock band).

The genius of Malcolm Young was how he could write epic songs with a just a handful of chords eg. “It’s a long way to the top, if you want to rock n roll” ie. A,G & D (the rhythm part that is), yet it’s such an epic song. “Let there be rock”, only has four chords G,E,A and B (the rhythm part), yet it’s considered one of AC/DC’s finest, and a crowd favourite that’s always played live.

Sometimes, you get these “guitar snobs” who are unfairly critical of the relative simplicity of Malcolm Young’s playing by calling him “three chord Malcolm”, which is ridiculous because Malcolm Young could probably play every chord out there, and what a lot of people don’t realise was that Malcolm Young started as a lead, not a rhythm guitarist, it’s just that he assigned his incredibly (and equally), talented brother, Angus to that role. And so what if AC/DC music is simple, there is a wise old saying that goes “the simple things in life are often the best”, and credit to AC/DC for sticking to their guns.

R.I.P. Malcolm, you were a maestro on rhythm guitar, and you inspired me and millions of others to take up the guitar.

At the Top of their game in '81, raw fast and mean.

If there is one thing AC/DC is legendary for, and that’s the tightness of their live performances, I have seen them live four times, 1988,1996,2001 and 2015, and every single performance was perfect, every member of the band gives nothing less than 110% effort, because they care about their fans, and want to give them value for their money.

Yep, and I have never heard a bad live performance by Angus, in all the recordings I have heard, unlike other "rated" guitarists (JP?!).

+1

I have never, ever heard a bad review of an AC/DC concert, and yes, Angus's playing is incredible, the way he can play so quickly and not make any mistakes, never ceases to amaze me, and that tone he and Malcolm would get out of those Marshalls, was pure magic.

Never heard "Three chord Malcolm"... Anyone who says that doesn't understand the first thing about rock guitar! And it's not like they were power chords!

Incredible guitarist. They do NOT make them like that anymore.

Dementia seems horrible - I don't know a lot about it, in fact if you permit me the most off-color remark made on here you could say I'm blissfully unaware of it. But maybe better to move on if your mind's gone. Very sad, the whole thing.

But let's celebrate his life, because his music sure celebrated life.

Archived