Gibson Brands Forums

For fans of His Bobness

MorrisrownSal

If you’re gonna play a twelve string for a living you’re gonna need a few stories to tell while you tune up every 5 minutes

I've always felt sorry for those people who get "discovered" and signed while they were young. They start playing stadiums and miss out on 35+ years of playing little dive bars........

I've always felt sorry for those people who get "discovered" and signed while they were young. They start playing stadiums and miss out on 35+ years of playing little dive bars........

Watching 'Inside Llewyn Davis' obliterated any remaining romantic notions of the music business I might have still had. What a great movie that was and the sudden 'appearance' of Dylan on the Village scene at the end of the movie just finished it so perfectly.

....but in the way he did it, , , meaning that the real primal power was his own basic source and how this stuff managed to access all the info around and inside of him - then glue, refine and re-mix, , , finally present it. B.D. was from a very early age a master of the melting-pot - a folk-beat-rock-cook - and the soup he conjured was ingenious....

And he nailed it. And he was a mystery. You never knew what he was going to come up with next.

For those who still inexplicably believe Dylan "can't sing", listen to this, from when he was all of 21 years old. Then tell me anyone else who even comes close to that level of artistry with just voice and guitar, outside of the early country blues masters.

Wowsers. That is fantastic. Thanks.

1511450004[/url]' post='1894670']

That whole radio show is worth listeing to , and yes I'm a fan of his , but for a spotty little guy at the age he was , his ability to engage is outstanding.

And as far as vocal ability goes ... I'll give a weeks wages to anyone who can match this

Grunt thanks for that gift. It is truly magical... and now perhaps my favorite.

‘Thought this could fit in with the thread. . .

In reference to lyrics that are at times barely decipherable and as suggested by the article in The Guardian, “the studio albums are only there for the copyright”- as one who is more into music than songwriting, personally, it was Dylan’s sense of timing in laying down those lyrics, sometimes before, sometimes after the beat, in a carefree style like a cat walking on a railing- “if I slip, I’ll figure something out”.

Using his voice as an instrument that (hopefully) would make any rapper green with envy. To illustrate, uploaded by the mysterious “Elston Gunn"<-another alias of Dylan’s was Elston Gunnn, a Fantastically Beautiful version of that Special Song follows:

The song comes into it’s own soon after the 6 minute mark where some rap-like delivery is heard, (is he surfing along the wave made by signal processing/chorus/delay for the vocals??), the dynamics at 6:45, and the crescendo/jam for the last minute. For how many hundreds of years will Dylan be discussed, and how long will his songs live on? I think it’ll be a while:

Larry Campbell (off to Dylan’s left) just happy to be there. . . ‘suppose he said the right thing once at a chance encounter with Bob; maybe just a head nod, a tip of the hat, or he said nothing at all:

62 Holy Moly. First off,(as you face the screen) that was Chris Issak to the left of Dylan, and Larry Campbell to the right. I've seen Larry and his wife play solo, and I have seen him with Jackson Browne. He is a superb craftsman and jack of all trades. He can play country, bluegrass, folk, mandolin, and nineteen instruments. He is something else. The big names love him to play with them because he makes all around him sound better.

Check on the 6:00 mark. What ensues is great.

Archived