Gibson Brands Forums

Guild question 120 20

blindboygrunt

You can ask on the Let's Talk Guild forum, where dwell many knowledgeable Guild freaks. I enjoy that group very much and got a lot of input before buying an old Hoboken era F20. The Chinese copies may use laminate materials. The new line out of Oxnard has early Ren Ferg fingerprints on their reborn models. I think he stayed on just a year. I bought a new mahog M20 from the first run and liked it a lot. I sold it when I realized it sounded similar to my 30's L0. Pretty good testimonial, I think.

You can ask on the Let's Talk Guild forum, where dwell many knowledgeable Guild freaks. I enjoy that group very much and got a lot of input before buying an old Hoboken era F20. The Chinese copies may use laminate materials. The new line out of Oxnard has early Ren Ferg fingerprints on their reborn models. I think he stayed on just a year. I bought a new mahog M20 from the first run and liked it a lot. I sold it when I realized it sounded similar to my 30's L0. Pretty good testimonial, I think.

One forum is enough for me to cope with ! 😂

The D125 or 120 or whatever they’re calling it this week is all solid guitar

No laminate , is why I’m asking , finding it hard to believe that you can buy 2 and have change in your pocket or buy one that’s ‘American made’

I struggle with Guilds-they always feel a bit sturdy and overbuilt to me. I love the F20 of all eras (including the GAD F20), but the others don’t really click with me. I’ve heard plenty of players get great results from them, just none of them me!

That aside, the extra 1 in the serial number does indeed indicate Chinese origin.

I struggle with Guilds-they always feel a bit sturdy and overbuilt to me.

I enjoy Guilds as much as I do Gibsons. Had four of them back in the '70s, and have repurchased a number of my favorites within the last three years. Yes, they did tend to be overbuilt, especially in the mid to late '70s. You could probably build a small house with the wood from the neckblock on my '76 G-37! But it doesn't matter, they can still sound golden, because what wasn't overbuilt was the thickness of the tops & related bracing. The laminated arched backs also added weight to many models, but did their job superbly.

Ren was with Guild from 2012, through the start up of the new Oxnard facility in 2015, and then I think just a bit beyond that. He oversaw the closure of the New Hartford factory & transfer of everything to California. Fender sold Guild to Cordoba in 2014.

Oxnard production started with a few lower end all-mahogany models, but is now expanding into higher end stuff. A 17" jumbo body F-40 has just been released (which is a bit of a misnomer, since the F-40 has historically been a 16" jumbo - but that's okay, I'm just happy to see them being built here in the USA!).

I've looked at the M20 vs M120's alot and I assume the D's have the same differing characteristics.

M120's are all solid wood but they use "African" Mahogany rather than S. American. The M20's use S. American Mahogany.

The dimensions vary a little bit between the M120's and the M20's. The neck radius is different for sure and I believe that the other measurements (depth, bouts,...) are all just slightly different (like 1/8 or 1/4 inch). The finish on M20's is satin, while the M120 finish is gloss. Aside from the fact that I don't really like the way the gloss finish looks, its hard to tell them apart. They both play and sound really nice.

I'm still considering accumulating a 70's Guild G-37 to replace the one I sold a few years ago. Was foolish to let it go, but wisdom doesn't come cheap😂

G37s are the one I forgot about! Love those Maple dreads. There was one on eBay recently here in the UK for around £700, really clean example too. I was tempted, but didn’t have the ready cash at the time.

It’s mainly the Rosewood dreads I haven’t gelled with, but maybe I just need to accept I’m not a Rosewood guy!

G37s are the one I forgot about! Love those Maple dreads.

I have a '76 G-37, but also a '74 F-40 (16" small jumbo), and a '94 JF-30 (17" jumbo) - all with arched-back maple bodies. Imho, they readily equal similar Gibson models in delivering a satisfying tone, but each with characteristics of their own.

As for rosewood Guilds, the only one I have is a '73 F-30R. This is a small 15" jumbo body style. '73 was the first year of this short-lived model. Personally, I find that rosewood in a smaller body often works very well for fingerpicking.

It's the Guild jumbos that I love. Solid rosewood back or unbraced arched back maple laminate, they're everything I want in a 6 or 12-string.

Guild 12 strings are what put them on the map. In the 1970s though Guild was a bright spot in an otherwise somewhat mediocre decade for acoustics.

Even the Chinese ones are not cheap. Can't imagine what I would have to pay for a USA Guild 12.

Well, they've been moving their factory, and they haven't been making them, so we're talking used. I lucked out getting tipped off about my 2002 Corona-built JF30-12 on craigs in SoCal for 800 bucks! Ebony fretboard, hello? It's essentially an F-412 and performs like one! So there are good deals to be had, but you may have to wait around awhile. And meanwhile learn what to look for, and what to avoid.....

gfj350.jpg

Archived