Gibson Brands Forums

Could I get your opinion on this '61 Reissue SG for sale

vaxxine

If I could impose on you guys again, could you comment on the claims in this add ? I'm still getting up to speed on SGs. My impression is that this is over priced and the seller may think this particular year/model is more special than it really is. But I don't know all that much so maybe I'm wrong. It's certainly a nice unit but the price is a good $500 - $600 higher than anything similar I've seen. In a private email he also says the fret board is Ebony ! That would surprise me very much but he may think that's what it is.

2011/2012 '61 Reissue

If I could impose on you guys again, could you comment on the claims in this add ? I'm still getting up to speed on SGs. My impression is that this is over priced and the seller may think this particular year/model is more special than it really is. But I don't know all that much so maybe I'm wrong. It's certainly a nice unit but the price is a good $500 - $600 higher than anything similar I've seen. In a private email he also says the fret board is Ebony ! That would surprise me very much but he may think that's what it is.

2011/2012 '61 Reissue

Fret board is not ebony. Nor would it be on a standard (or std re-issue), only an SG Custom, not that there arent SG's with ebony boards just not 61 re-issues. There was a 2012 faded special with crescent moon inlays that had an ebony board. I'm not seeing anything custom shop about this guitar, and he's not advertising COA or custom shop case. Looks like a regular small pick guard std to me (indecently the faded mentioned earlier also had small pick guard), but I could be mistaken, certainly not an SG historian. I think you're right, he's fishing.

Johnny

What about the statement that 2013-2015 SGs have inferior neck joints compared to this one (2011/2012) ? Any truth to that ?

Rev Six is right : this is a very clean guitar.

$1200 - $1400 US is approx $1500 - $1800 Canadian. He's asking $1750.

What about the statement that 2013-2015 SGs have inferior neck joints compared to this one (2011/2012) ? Any truth to that ?

The body/neck joint on a '61 RI Style SG is strong enought, no problem.

The most important difference is rhe balance of the SG.

On a '61 RI style SG the body is lighter and the neck strap position is different : So it is easy to have balance issue with a '61 RI style SG.

Archived