Gibson Brands Forums: My New Epiphone Inspired By 1964 Texan - Gibson Brands Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

My New Epiphone Inspired By 1964 Texan Raving about how great this acoustic/electric guitar is!

#1 User is offline   Viktorija Arsic 

• Group: Members
  • LocationCanada

Posted 19 November 2017 - 09:32 PM

Hey folks,

I'm a long time lurker around these forums, and for my first post, I just wanted to write a rave review about my brand new Epiphone Texan:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

In a word, the Texan is incredible!

It is my first Epiphone guitar, and my second acoustic-electric. I was looking for dreadnaught guitar to complement my folk-sized 2014 Breedlove Passport OM/MMe.
However, I was initially skeptical of Epiphone. I'd tried a Sheraton II and it was unfortunately awkward to play and the tone was poor. Also, a friend of mine sent his Thunderbird IV bass back no less than four times due to persistent issues, including severe fret buzzing. He was eventually satisfied with his replacement Thunderbird. But as is the case buying from any brand, it’s important to be cautious.

While I don’t necessarily believe in guitars having some kind innate mysticism or aura by virtue of mythical brand name, I do believe wholeheartedly in a guitar feeling just “right” when you hold it in your hands and strum those first few chords (just as a funny thought, I used to think Epiphone was pronounced “epiphany"). Playing this Texan for the first time at my awesome local music store gave me the feeling that I was reuniting with an old friend.I play mostly solo-acoustic and occasionally jam with a full band, so the Texan is excellent for my purposes. I love that it's a slope shouldered acoustic. It feels very comfortable to play. There are no rough fret ends and, I'm happy to say, absolutely no string buzz. The vintage style tuners are sturdy. Even if they are plastic, they hold their own really well (especially considering that I can strum pretty hard and fast). The wood grain is beautiful. The Texan's tone is resonant and has wonderful sustain, with rustic, loud bass, sweet, clear mid-range, and crisp, articulate treble.

Honestly, my photographs cannot fully capture the cherryburst colour gracing the solid spruce top. The finish is actually more like an autumn-burst; it has an amber quality that gently melts into antique orange when under direct light; the overall dusky shading is simply gorgeous. As many other people have previously noted, I can confirm that the nut and bridge are bone. My particular guitar was made in Indonesia (probably the Samick factory, Serial # 16092300177) and I must say that the craftsmanship is completely outstanding!

Considerable research (well informed by IRONMAN INC’s awesome YouTube channel) went into choosing my Texan. I paid $880 CAD with hardshell case (it smells like vanilla inside); although that is more expensive than what it sells for in comparable markets such as the United States, in my opinion the price is totally worth it!
Just to be clear, the Texan kicks serious *** against any higher end model. I tried the Masterbilt AJ 45E, but wasn’t particularly impressed with the sound, feel, or finish. I was also considering both the Taylor 210e Deluxe in Tobacco Sunburst and the Gibson J-15. The Taylor unfortunately felt too bulky and uncomfortable for me, not to mention that I was really stretching my budget at that price point; the same can be said for the Gibson, including some concerning, horrific craftsmanship-I honestly don’t know how it passed QC! The J-15 simply felt cheaply thrown together, almost “plasticky” for lack of a better term, because there was sloppy glue residue on the spruce top where the neck meets the body, the frets were razor sharp, the strings buzzed, and the nitrocellulose finish had been yellowed around the nut. I felt really disappointed after playing it.

So I returned to the Texan. It hasn't let me down, and I can't stop playing it.

I’m proud to support Epiphone because they have honest, reasonable prices for quality instruments. That’s what matters at the end of the day, because as the player you want what you play to be reliable; you want it to be expressive; you want to connect with it and have it resonate with listeners. The Texan has all that and more.

I’m just so glad to have such a lovely guitar!
life inspires me, love strengthens me

my guitars:

• 1966 Harmony by Heath H78 (three pickup)
  • 1999 Yamaha C 40
  • 2010 Fender Affinity "Starcaster" Strat
  • 2011 Gibson Les Paul Studio Satin
  • 2014 Breedlove Passport OM/Mme
  • 2017 Epiphone Inspired By 1964 Texan

my pedals:

• Outlaw Effects Six Shooter II Tuner
  • Outlaw Effects Boilermaker Clean Boost
  • TC Electronic Forcefield Compressor
  • BOSS DS-1 Distortion

#2 User is offline   Cougar 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • LocationThe Wild West

Posted 20 November 2017 - 06:40 AM

View PostViktorija Arsic, on 19 November 2017 - 09:32 PM, said:

Honestly, my photographs cannot fully capture the cherryburst colour gracing the solid spruce top. The finish is actually more like an autumn-burst; it has an amber quality that gently melts into antique orange when under direct light; the overall dusky shading is simply gorgeous.

Yeah, that is a gorgeous burst! Major congrats, Vik, and welcome to the boards.

And that dark fretboard looks like ebony! Sweet!
2011 Guild F50R burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 burst 

2008 Epiphone Masterbilt EF-500RAVS

2012 Epiphone Lennon EJ-160E VS

1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string sunburst

2012 Epiphone Dot CH

2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

Yamaha Motif XS7

#3 User is offline   OldCowboy 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationIndiana - Texas - sometimes Lost

Posted 20 November 2017 - 09:37 AM

The 'magic' happens when the right guitar and the right person find each other😊

#4 User is offline   Viktorija Arsic 

• LocationCanada

Posted 20 November 2017 - 10:26 AM

View PostCougar, on 20 November 2017 - 06:40 AM, said:

Yeah, that is a gorgeous burst! Major congrats, Vik, and welcome to the boards.

And that dark fretboard looks like ebony! Sweet!

Hi Cougar,

Thanks so much for checking out my post!

I'm still stunned by the colour. It really is special. As for the fretboard, my first thought was that it looked like ebony as well. I'm just glad my first experience with Epiphone has been good; I'm considering getting the Prophecy Les Paul Custom Plus GX somewhere down the line.

I appreciate the warm welcome!

my guitars:

• 1999 Yamaha C 40

my pedals:

• BOSS DS-1 Distortion

#5 User is offline   Viktorija Arsic 

• LocationCanada

Posted 20 November 2017 - 10:27 AM

View PostOldCowboy, on 20 November 2017 - 09:37 AM, said:

The 'magic' happens when the right guitar and the right person find each other😊

I couldn't have said it better myself! I feel like I've been playing this guitar forever.

Thanks for checking out my post Posted Image

my guitars:

• 1999 Yamaha C 40

my pedals:

• BOSS DS-1 Distortion

#6 User is offline   zombywoof 

• Advanced Member

Posted 20 November 2017 - 04:05 PM

Congrats!

I have never played an IB Texan I did not like the sound of. The slightly wider nut is a particularly welcome change when compared to the originals.

"I play so rough - I stomp 'em"
Bukka White

#7 User is offline   OldCowboy 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationIndiana - Texas - sometimes Lost

Posted 21 November 2017 - 06:35 AM

View Postzombywoof, on 20 November 2017 - 04:05 PM, said:

Congrats!

I have never played an IB Texan I did not like the sound of. The slightly wider nut is a particularly welcome change when compared to the originals.

No joke! I had a pair of originals at one time - burst and natural - that I let go because of the nut width; also a J-45 that I loved that's gone for the same reason.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users