Gibson Brands Forums

I need your help to find out what guitar it is

Tom Vega

Hello all,

i got a shot in Ebay as a restauration object. It looks to me like a Epiphone Studio. With bolted neck, dot inlays and on the neckplate is written "handcrafted in Korea". I couldnt figure out when it was made, what kind of pickups originally insite, how it look like originally. Specially the serial is interesting on the neckplate: E010077. Can someone help me to figure out what guitar it is and how it looks like in original? See pictures.

Thank you in advance.

post-88705-005916500 1511175124_thumb.jpg

post-88705-011793200 1511175134_thumb.jpg

post-88705-053920100 1511175145_thumb.jpg

post-88705-037109800 1511175155_thumb.jpg

post-88705-098851800 1511175176_thumb.jpg

post-88705-063031100 1511175558_thumb.jpg

I believe that what you have there are pieces and parts of what used to be a Epiphone LP 100 or LP 100 Studio.

Vintage probably mid-1989 to 2001.

So much butchery, and so many modifications (including a clumsy black paint job), it's really hard to say.

The original pickups were the 700T and 650R, and they were of the Ceramic Magnet variety.

24.75" scale, with a mahogany body with a maple veneer top.

Mahogany neck with rosewood fingerboard, w/ dot markers.

Those black knobs are after-market, and they look to be the Ernie Ball type, sold four to a pack for less than 20 dollars.

I hope this helps.

Good luck with the restoration project.

:mellow:

Hi Tom

The serial number scheme changes from year to year, you can probably get more information on build date by emailing customer support.

FYI that these are entry level guitars, and usually were sold in starter packs with a small amp, bag, tuner, strap... for around $250. on the open market, the guitar alone second hand probably fetches around 100 to 125. These were mass produced, the word "handcrafted" on the neck plate can be misleading. But all that aside, they could be setup to play pretty good. Certainly good enough to learn on.

Thank you for the info. .

My Issue is to restore the guitar as good and original as possible like brand new. After im going to pimp it up. I like the neck its a small one like i know from my telecaster. Ive got and Gibson Les Paul Custom made in USA from 1985 and i like that guitar but the neck is to big.. It was also a restauration object build up to original. The Studio one i shot for 40 Dollars incl. a Billy lawrence L500L what was insite. The neck has to be refretted and a new paintjob for everything is nessesary as well as the headmachines and pickguard. The Bridge i will properbly replace to a roller bridge. The pickups im gonna ad one more Billy Lawrence X500R for the neck. After i finished it, ill post the images. Hope it will be good! Thank you all for helping me out to finish the project. Ill give it a high gloss black Laquer if i dont change my mind. And if its really an almost 20yo guitar do you agree with me its worth it right? BTW the Studio EB cost here in Germany (Krautland) 399 Eur brandnew made in China.

Cheers and tnx again.

This is all my personal opinion so take it for it's face value. The money you plan to invest in this guitar is well beyond what is worth. a refret, if you are going to have that done, (U.S. prices) would be north of $300 easily. closer to 450/500 I think.

If you have extra hardware to use, that's a win, (pickups/pots/switches.. )

For a project guitar, if that's the stuff you're into doing, and enjoy doing restoration work, painting, etc.. then that in itself is a hobby/craft of it's own, and I'd say do what you enjoy doing.

Pics would be great to see before and after too.

Well, from the looks of it, it is a bolt on LP studio.

These go for less then 300 all day long complete, and this one is missing the most expensive parts, the pick ups.

I guess if you can get it for less then 50 bucks, and you want to make a project out of it, okay, but I would look at it as a classic car. In the Repair industry we call cars like POD's (Pile of dreams) and we know that the lower the level of the vehicles condition, it take twice as much money to raise it up one level then if you bought one at that level to begin with.

If your looking for a player, keep looking. If you want to build one, it's your time and money.

But the best part was sanded off, I wonder what Les would think of his name being sanded off.......

Thanks to all,

i got it for 50 Euros incl. a Bill Lawrence L500 L humbucker I know its a kinda work and the refretting i do by myself for first time. Its also a kinda practicing how to refret a guitar. I took off the half of in already and its a hell of work, coz you have to do it really carefully to not wreck the fretboard. Thats my startup for it. I have time and im not in the rush,. If i can get a perfect guitar out of it, why not. Its one more of my collection. At least its not made in China thats the reason why i bought it.

Cheers and keep on rocking.

Actually i document all steps incl. the refretting by taking pictures. And also recording video of it.

If you don't mind :) post them up :) , the video also :) , and thank you for taking the time , indeed ...cool beans :)

peace :)

Archived