Gibson Brands Forums

New Tuners for J185

djw171

Hi guys, just a question to throw out there. What tuners would you fit to J185 to replace the factory Grover full size Rotomatics. The Grovers hold tune OK but was thinking of something a little more traditional looking. Interested to hear your thoughts!

Cheers

Dave

post-71082-000963500 1511181816_thumb.jpg

Were you thinking of something like Kluson Tuplips?

I guess my first thought would be they'd need to be an exact swap.. same size holes, same screw setup.

I think Grover makes some tuners with different heads instead of the ones that are on there now. Check Stew Mac for starters.

I have never cared for the look of Rotomatics on an acoustic. If you want single tuners I like the Stewmac Waverlys. The less expensive Grover Sta-tites are also nice (I just put a set on an old Harmony Sovereign). If you want strip tuners it is the Antique Acoustics Kluson repros hands down with the Stewmac Golden Age bent tab Klusons coming in close behind.

Grover's 135 series keystones are a direct replacement. The lower screw hole matches the Rotomatic hole exactly......the top hole may be drilled if desired but not required as the machine head is securely nutted to the headstock. Grover Keystones

Same for the 136 Deluxe series.......nutted to headstock, lower screw hole matches........but with nickel, round buttons. Grover Deluxe

I think the keystones would look better on a 185........the round button Deluxe better on a 45 or other round shoulder model.

PS Assuming you'd be changing them yourself........DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN THE NUT ON THE HEADSTOCK FACE! Just make contact snugly. Too much tightening WILL crack the nitro finish and you'll have some ugliness where you don't want it.

I still prefer the plain old oval white plastic buttons or the metal butterbeans. I have a set of Klusons that a friend gave me where he replaced the plastic buttons with Indian Head nickels. The strangest tuner knobs I have ever run across though are those barrel shaped things on the Kluson Sealfast tuners. They are so large you cannot get a string winder around them.

Thanks guys. Good to know that the screw hole will line up perfect with the Keystones. Would enable me to see if I like the look before committing to the other mounting hole.

I've always also liked the open gear type Gibson fit to the AJ.

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/Round-Shoulder/Gibson-Acoustic/Advanced-Jumbo/Specs.aspx

There is also a Grover nickel (or gold) tulip button one-screw tuner that would be a direct replacement.

These are similar to what was seen on some '70s Gibsons. I put a set on my '02 J-45 Rosewood to replace the stock gold kidney-bean Grovers. I like them on this particular guitar.

Archived