• You cannot reply to this topic

ES 335 satin finish! Quality?

#1 User is offline   littlejohnny 

• Disciple
  • Group: All Access
  • LocationWest Germany

Posted 20 November 2017 - 01:18 PM

Hi there,

there's an incredible deal on the above mentioned Gibson at my local store right now.
I went there and played one today, It sounded nothing like my 2013 Es which I sold since i didn't like the neck. I was actually pretty disappointed, it wasn't anywhere near what I expect from an es style guitar.

Are those satin finished models of lesser quality in general or was it just this guitar. They have a few more in stock, but not on the floor (big box store), do you guys think its worth to try out some more?

Thanks in advance!

#2 User is offline   Twang Gang 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationLake Keowee, SC

Posted 20 November 2017 - 06:11 PM

I would encourage you to try the others. The finish alone shouldn't make the guitar sound any different. The one you played might have had some issue with the pickups, or the amp you played through wasn't any good etc.

Each Gibson (or any guitar make) sounds a little different from every other one, so keep looking.
2017 Custom Shop 356 Mahogany/Maple Antique Natural
2017 Les Paul Standard T Honeyburst
2013 L5-CES Natural (Maple/Spruce)
2013 Les Paul Custom Lite (Mahogany/Maple) Ebony
2007 Taylor Solid Body Custom (Sapele/Walnut)
2010 Fender Telecaster (Ash)
2006 Taylor Grand Symphony (Rosewood/Spruce)
1981 Ovation Balladeer
1963 Walthari Mittenwald Classical
Rivera Venus 6 (1 X 12)Combo
Blackstar HT-5R (1 X 10) Combo
AER Compact 60-2

#3 User is offline   SteveFord 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationPennsyltucky

Posted 20 November 2017 - 06:17 PM

I buffed my 05 Satin out with Virtuoso polish and it changed the sound, at least unplugged.
I wouldn't sell it.
Posted Image
The poodle bites, the poodle chews it

#4 User is offline   littlejohnny 

• Disciple
  • LocationWest Germany

Posted 21 November 2017 - 07:26 AM

Thanks fpr your answers! This particular guitar sounded weak acoustically, and that also translated to the amplified sound. I played it through a princeton RI, which is the amp own too. Not a bad amp at all in my book.

How did polishing change the sound?

#5 User is offline   SteveFord 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationPennsyltucky

Posted 21 November 2017 - 05:25 PM

It's been a few years but I recall it made the guitar quite a bit louder unplugged.
Made it look a lot nicer, too.

Oddly enough, my Lucille is louder, acoustically, than my 335. I thought it would be the opposite as there's no F-holes on Lucy but that's not the case.

#6 User is offline   Wmachine 

Posted 22 November 2017 - 07:51 AM

FWIW, the satin finish is just as thick as the gloss, according to Gibson specs. It can be buffed out to be more glossy, but the finish itself is a much lower "sheen", so you can't obtain the same gloss as the high gloss finishes. But you can certainly give the satin some shine.

#7 User is offline   littlejohnny 

• Disciple
  • LocationWest Germany

Posted 22 November 2017 - 02:29 PM

My question regarding quality wasn't so much about the finish, but about the overall quality of the instrument itself.
I could live with whatever finish, as long as the things has that thumpy, woody and ringing tone of a good ES.

#8 User is offline   SteveFord 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationPennsyltucky

Posted 22 November 2017 - 05:16 PM

I had to mess around with the frets some as the ends were sharp but once that was done it's the same deal as other 335s I've owned.
To the best of my knowledge the differences are the finish and lack of binding on the neck.

#9 User is offline   tlwwalker 

• LocationBeaufort, SC, USA

Posted 20 January 2018 - 07:25 PM

I have owned a 2010 ES-335 Satin Black since 2011. Quality is top notch. Unbound fretboard and satin finish are the only physical differences from other versions. Factory Plek-ed. I like mine.

#10 User is offline   FZ Fan 

• Jumbo Go Away
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 23 January 2018 - 11:25 AM

I had a Satin ES-335 for about 12 hours and I am not kidding. It came to the house and some F-head did not slack the strings and the head stock was broken. So it went back PDQ Bach. My BB is a fabulous instrument and is worth every penny I paid for it back in 2009. Glad I got mine when I did cause I ain't paying close to 7 grand for one.

#11 User is offline   Golden 

• Advanced Member

Posted 24 January 2018 - 12:34 PM

View Postlittlejohnny, on 22 November 2017 - 02:29 PM, said:

My question regarding quality wasn't so much about the finish, but about the overall quality of the instrument itself.
I could live with whatever finish, as long as the things has that thumpy, woody and ringing tone of a good ES.

You have to play them they can be hit or miss, heavy, light, resonant or dead. Some of them are extremely nice others not so much. But as a general rule I like them and have had real good luck with them.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users