Gibson Brands Forums

ES 335 satin finish! Quality?

littlejohnny

Hi there,

there's an incredible deal on the above mentioned Gibson at my local store right now.

I went there and played one today, It sounded nothing like my 2013 Es which I sold since i didn't like the neck. I was actually pretty disappointed, it wasn't anywhere near what I expect from an es style guitar.

Are those satin finished models of lesser quality in general or was it just this guitar. They have a few more in stock, but not on the floor (big box store), do you guys think its worth to try out some more?

Thanks in advance!

I would encourage you to try the others. The finish alone shouldn't make the guitar sound any different. The one you played might have had some issue with the pickups, or the amp you played through wasn't any good etc.

Each Gibson (or any guitar make) sounds a little different from every other one, so keep looking.

Thanks fpr your answers! This particular guitar sounded weak acoustically, and that also translated to the amplified sound. I played it through a princeton RI, which is the amp own too. Not a bad amp at all in my book.

How did polishing change the sound?

It's been a few years but I recall it made the guitar quite a bit louder unplugged.

Made it look a lot nicer, too.

Oddly enough, my Lucille is louder, acoustically, than my 335. I thought it would be the opposite as there's no F-holes on Lucy but that's not the case.

FWIW, the satin finish is just as thick as the gloss, according to Gibson specs. It can be buffed out to be more glossy, but the finish itself is a much lower "sheen", so you can't obtain the same gloss as the high gloss finishes. But you can certainly give the satin some shine.

• 1 month later...

My question regarding quality wasn't so much about the finish, but about the overall quality of the instrument itself.

I could live with whatever finish, as long as the things has that thumpy, woody and ringing tone of a good ES.

You have to play them they can be hit or miss, heavy, light, resonant or dead. Some of them are extremely nice others not so much. But as a general rule I like them and have had real good luck with them.

Archived