Gibson Brands Forums

The Slaughterbots

Californiaman

Man those are something. I never saw anything like them before. In the right hands, I can see how they could save lots of lives on the battlefield and even eliminate individual bad actors on our soil, which could be a real blessing. But, in the wrong hands they could be a horrible nightmare. Definitely thought provoking. Thanks for posting Californiaman.

Make no mistake about it, we are on the edge of a new frontier.

All of the technology that goes into creating these slaughterbots is available right now.

Just think, someone is already creating these little assassins.

On a lighter note, did you see what one enterprising drone user did over Levi Stadium during the San Francisco 49ers game?

Used it to drop leaflets on the crowd warning them about mega media conglomerates taking over the country. :-k

we already have AI right now. predictive text, for one example. however, the kind of AI normally (as in this case) trotted out to be the boogey man, (and rightly so, imo)

is not here now, and likely will not be here in the next couple decades. for a perspective on AI, and when it's coming, and a few other interesting nuances, have a look at the link below. it's a long read, you have been warned. but still, i found it very interesting, and very easy to digest. not being a super-genius, i need people to put things in simple terms for me to fully grasp it. i thought it well written for that reason.

https://waitbutwhy.com/2015/01/artificial-intelligence-revolution-1.html

sure, that's dangerous too. but the guy who started this thread intended for it to be a discussion about artificial intelligence. some people find such topics interesting. i don't really understand how a curmudgeon response furthers the discussion at all. maybe a separate thread where everyone can talk about how much they love their 78 dodge aspen, land line, and their walkman would be more your speed? you could collectively tell everyone to get off of your lawn, and refuse to give back their baseball.

sure, that's dangerous too. but the guy who started this thread intended for it to be a discussion about artificial intelligence. some people find such topics interesting. i don't really understand how a curmudgeon response furthers the discussion at all. maybe a separate thread where everyone can talk about how much they love their 78 dodge aspen, land line, and their walkman would be more your speed? you could collectively tell everyone to get off of your lawn, and refuse to give back their baseball.

Get off my lawn Asswhipe!!

AI is supposed to help make our lives easier. Of course the use of robots is also supposed to help make our lives easier.

I don't trust either one and would prefer to go back to the good old days. Yeah, I'll take my old car and land line over any recent automobile or phone any time.

It's not that I don't like the convenience and ease of driving a new car or using a cell phone. I just don't trust the technology or those who use the technology to track me.

Plain and simple. Trust is the issue with me.

BBC News, 30 Nov 2017 -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-42153140

...."(The) vice-president of research at French defence giant Thales, which supplies reconnaissance drones to the British Army, said the "genie is out of the bottle" with smart technology.

And he raised the prospect of attacks by "swarms" of small drones that move around and select targets with only limited input from humans.

"The technological challenge of scaling it up to swarms and things like that doesn't need any inventive step," he told the Lords Artificial Intelligence committee.

"It's just a question of time and scale and I think that's an absolute certainty that we should worry about."

[scared]

Archived