Gibson Brands Forums

Decisions, decisions

NighthawkChris

Which one do you like the most?

I don't know yet... Really, really like the P90's in the Classic, but I am a sucker for the Cherry Sunburst looking LP's - and the Trad is one heck of a LP if I don't say so myself... I guess, part of me is leaning towards the Classic. It's a bit less expensive than the Traditional bursts right now. Although, my mind changes frequently on this. You just happen to find a window where I am pining for the Classic in ebony. Maybe some deals will come up at GC, because I have some reward points to spend and some gear to trad in for a discount msp_biggrin.gif

I voted for the Goldtop classic just because they're awesome. Had I not already bought a Goldtop Tribute with P90's, and love it so much, I would definitely be getting one. It's about the look and the sound.

But since I have one, I personally would go with the cherry traditional because that is a guitar I will buy in the future. I don't see how you could go wrong with any of those choices.

Your post said if you could only have one which would it be. I chose Honeyburst Traditional. But I am not a big fan of P90s so that eliminated 3 easily for me. But if you already have a humbucker LP, then a Classic might be the way to go for a different sound.

Now seems to be a good time to make a move with all the Black Friday sales, and if you can't move in time for those, there will be "cyber-Monday" sales right after.

Good hunting.

Still waiting for the reward points to be distributed by the Gear Card people. Apparently I have to wait for the return period (for what I bought with the Gear Card a while back) to expire before they are dispersed. With this, I plan on turning in some gear to get that money and a discount hopefully to take advantage of since I am looking at buying new item... I was very tempted over the Thanksgiving holiday break to pull the trigger, but I need to be a bit more patient about this purchase. I will end up with something nice hopefully sooner than later, just cannot do it at the moment. Any of these 6 styles of LP listed in this post poll I would be more than happy to have... Luckily, I live in the area around at least 3 GC's that I can think of off the bat, so plenty of places to check out what's in stock. Of course, when I pull the trigger, I will share the pics as expected. Very interesting to see what everyone thinks about these and which are the ones they will choose... Back hopefully soon with some images...

Sort of MAJORLY sidetracked on this one... I recently ran into a used 1996 LP Studio Gem which I put on layaway if I decide to go with this one. It is half the money for a new 2018 Classic or Traditional (Gem = $900 used), and I have read nothing but good news about the Gem series. I have played the 2018's and really wanted a P90 guitar in my collection, and the Gem seems like the perfect fit. I will know when I play it. If I don't like it, I can return it via GC's policy, so no worries on losing my money on it or something like that. They are really good about this kind of stuff with me. Either way, I got some pics the other day, and it looks great! OHSC 90's style (like my 90's Nighthawk's) and finish looks great. Just shows up about oh, 20+ years of playing, but I like that. And for $900, not a bad deal. I have seen others on the Bay and Verb, CL, Letgo, etc. selling over $1k... As much as one might hate to say, GC's used prices kill the individual sellers' prices. I recently bought a 1995 Nighthawk CST3 for ~$1230! Wow, I mean wow! OHSC, good finish, original functional electronics - just a good deal figuring people online sell theirs for around the $1600+ range. Right now at this very moment, a 1994 CST (not CST3) is selling "brand new" for $5k... Good luck with that one buddy. People who sell their guitars overvalue their stuff. GC doesn't care about the sentiments, they just want to sell, sell, sell... Consequently, you get a better price like it or not. Now, I am not saying all used prices are deals, but this LP Gem seems like one. As long as a neck is not warped, I can handle everything else.

BTW, I was the only one who voted for the Pelham Blue thus far, haha! Hey, you're reading a post from a guy who likes 90's Nighthawks, haha!

• 2 weeks later...

If you can only have one I'd go for a Humbucker equipped LP with coil splitting options. The coil split sound isn't exactly P90 territory but a split HB does sound great on LP for a gritty blues tone, especially on the neck pickup. I'm not sure a Trad will give you that option though. Why not save a bit more for a Standard and get a flamier top and more bells and whistles...

I voted HCS Trad BTW but it was about 51 to 49 against the honeyburst Trad.

P-90s are great, but they are also less versatile then a Humbucker model. But it's up to you, if you want that P-90 sound, then split humbuckers will not cut it.

As to color, it should be what you like, personally, I like the Alpine white with gold hardware.....but that's just me.

You need to get the one you want.

Archived