Gibson Brands Forums

Neil Young’s Old Black’s headstock

Allenjason95

I was reading up Neil Young’s LP and it has the wheat stack inlay. It’s supposedly an early 50s GT that was painted black and probably renecked.

Did LP ever come with wheat stack inlays like that in the 50s? I’ve read 68s had them and I’ve seen other LP with wheatstacks but have no idea if that’s original or a reissue or some custom LP clone.

So does anyone know what years/models LPs actually came with the wheat stack headstock....if any?

I was reading up Neil Young’s LP and it has the wheat stack inlay. It’s supposedly an early 50s GT that was painted black and probably renecked.

Did LP ever come with wheat stack inlays like that in the 50s? I’ve read 68s had them and I’ve seen other LP with wheatstacks but have no idea if that’s original or a reissue or some custom LP clone.

So does anyone know what years/models LPs actually came with the wheat stack headstock....if any?

50's LPs never had the 'wheat stack', this was used on guitars through the 60's. Neil's Old Black was re-necked and had the binding added. His LP as glorious as it can sound has been pretty heavily mangled modded.

Johnny

50's LPs never had the 'wheat stack', this was used on guitars through the 60's. Neil's Old Black was re-necked and had the binding added. His LP as glorious as it can sound has been pretty heavily mangled modded.

Johnny

Thanks. I’ve read about it and his Whizzer and all the stuff he does to get that sound. It’s one of my favorite guitar tones and I’m a huge fan of old beat up guitars (not reliced, but legit beat up).

Did LP ever come with wheat stack inlays like that in the 50s? I've read 68s had them and I've seen other LP with wheatstacks but have no idea if that's original or a reissue or some custom LP clone.

The first LPs with the inlay you mention was the newly reissued P-90 equipped 1968 Gold-Top (called, in the catalogues of the time, the Standard). This model only lasted until 1969 when it was replaced by the LP DeLuxe model and I've seen (Norm's Rare Guitars) a '69 Standard without the 'wheat stack' inlay so, clearly, not every '68/'69 Standard carried the inlay. Whether it was phased out at one specific point I've no idea but as the one in Norm's had the familiar (and more 'proper') "Les Paul MODEL" silkscreen it would seem quite likely; perhaps when they were in the transition period between the Standard and DeLuxe models?

Since those days the 'wheat stack' inlay has been used quite a few times over the years such as on some versions of the 'Classic Custom' and 'Classic Antique' models amongst others.

Pip.

Archived