Gibson Brands Forums

Regrettably my new Southern Jumbo needs a little work

generaldreedle

So I kept noticing that the B string would never stay in tune once I either used a capo or even fretted it, even playing a C or a D. I brought it in to the good folks at Dusty Strings in Seattle, since I had a similar issue with my J45 Custom and they fixed it. Well, apparently the action is too high, the saddle is placed in a weird position they thought, so they're going to adjust the action, replace the saddle with a bone saddle and the nut with bone (rather than just fixing the nut, which would cost just as much). They do good work, and I trust them, and I guess when I think about it the special SJs like the Sheryl Crow or the Banner ones have a bone nut and saddle, so maybe I'm just getting an upgrade!

Sounds right. It's like a bad wheel alignment. A little thing out of whack makes for big problems when you're talking about complex construct physics.

if the saddle is in a wierd position, what help would new material provide ?

When I’ve had this problem a few times in the past, it always wound up being the nut slot not having enough back taper. I did have one where it was the saddle but the entire intonation was off, not just one string. I had the saddle slot filled and remachined.

To see if it’s the nut slot, capo the first slot, retune and see if it’s okay while the capo is still on. That will isolate the nut and take it out of the equation

Archived