Gibson Brands Forums

Inside Metal: LA

Riffster

I grew up in the 80s and loved the music of the decade including the so maligned glam metal.

There is s series of documentaries consisting mainly of interviews and footage about the L.A. scene, two parts focus on the 70s as the pioneers of the LA scene came about like Van Halen and Quiet Riot and then two other parts once the LA scene exploded and eventually demised.

If you have amazon prime and streaming 3 of the parts are free, one can be rented. I enjoyed them thoroughly. If you are a fan of the LA scene I recommend them. I learned s lot.

There is a Thrash Metal episode coming soon, I’ll be watching that.for sure.

There is a lot I did not know, like the Runaways and I could not connect the dots between Van Halen in 1978 and Quiet Riot in 1983 or so and what happened after that.

I wish there were more bands being interviewed but guys like Motley Crue have told their story plenty of times.

I actually saw episode 3 and 4 first because that’s what came up in my search. Then I saw the first two.

But yea now that you know chronological is the way to go.

There are other music documentaries for free, some good dome just ok.

I grew up in the 80s and loved the music of the decade including the so maligned glam metal.

There is s series of documentaries consisting mainly of interviews and footage about the L.A. scene, two parts focus on the 70s as the pioneers of the LA scene came about like Van Halen and Quiet Riot and then two other parts once the LA scene exploded and eventually demised.

If you have amazon prime and streaming 3 of the parts are free, one can be rented. I enjoyed them thoroughly. If you are a fan of the LA scene I recommend them. I learned s lot.

There is a Thrash Metal episode coming soon, I’ll be watching that.for sure.

Thanks Man!! That sounds like a great way to spend a day off. I grew up hangin out at Venice Beach listening to Thrash Legends like Metallica, Megadeth, Suicidal Tendancies, Slayer, Bodycount, etc. That scene at that time meant the world to me and so many others. I would not be the unhealthy alcoholic I am today without those LA Metal bands of the 80's.

Oh..and I nearly forgot Fishbone. Love Fishbone man!!

The first 4 parts do not cover thrash metal much, there will be an episode on it that will be released soon I think.

A thrash metal documentary that has been out for a few years is Get Thrashed and that one is on Amazon Prime as well.

The first 4 parts do not cover thrash metal much, there will be an episode on it that will be released soon I think.

I watched the first two last night. Good stuff. Admittedly low budget and a lot more talk than music footage. But very informative.

I for one love that era of "Metal" - when it still had a foot in blues rock. I call it proto-metal.

Yea definitely low budget but not bottom of the barrel. The vast majority of interviews were actually made for these docs and few are file interviews.

I too wish there was more footage but a lot of the stuff they do show o had never seen.

I will definitely will be watching the Thrash Metal installment when it comes out.

I also want to watch Hired Gun the documentary about supporting musicians that apparently is really good. That one is for rent on Amazon video.

I'll definitely have to check that out. I lived in LA from 1989 to 1991 while going to Musician's Institute. I lived in West Hollywood just off Sunset and La Brea, school was in Hollywood, worked on Sunset and Vine at a music store and visited the Sunset Strip quite a few times.

Archived