Gibson Brands Forums

Joe Bonamassa Epiphone Flying V

IanHenry

Ahhhh peer pressure. Pip, that V would look great photographed in your gilt chair. Guess you need to buy it now msp_flapper.gif

You can find his single pup epi firebird on sale at the moment at a few places currently at the moment if that one takes your fancy also

Its almost twice the price of the regular epi v

That's not too bad for a working musician. I have decided my next guitar WILL be a V (was thinking GIbson or ESP) or a very specific Tele. If the pickups are custom voiced and it comes with a case, that's not a bad deal. The V is THE MOST comfortable guitar for sitting down and recording with. The majority of the last record I recorded, almost all the humbucking tracks were played with a V model by ESP. If I could have got my hands on a '58 Gibson re-issue, I might have opted for that.

Jay, dude, if you recorded with an ESP V I'm assuming they were hot pickups.

I would seriously advice you to look into the 2017 V Trad, with Dirty Fingers pickups. Super hot, but not EMG chainsaw hot. I'm fairly certain I'll never use any other guitar for metal ever again. I'm positive I'll never buy another V.

Of course, it's not an ESP V. ESP is geared towards shredding. But the neck of my Gibson 2017 V has ZERO relief, and I'm sure I could lower the action. Only I'm not doing that, because... You know how people talk about the perfect guitar, and how one will never find it?

This is the perfect hard rock and metal guitar. It's the only guitar I've ever played that I haven't tweaked one bit.

Yes; very nice indeed!

Hmm.....I don't have a V....................

eusa_think.gif

Pip.

https://www.andertons.co.uk/epiphone-ltd-ed-joe-bonamassa-1958-amos-korina-flying-v-outfit-edjbangh3

[biggrin]

Or you could save several hundred and not have the Joe B indorsed one

http://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/products/epiphone_ltd_ed_korina_flying-v_an.asp?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIye_bqZ_V1wIVEGcZCh1hlAKyEAkYAiABEgJYgvD_BwE

Jay, dude, if you recorded with an ESP V I'm assuming they were hot pickups.

I would seriously advice you to look into the 2017 V Trad, with Dirty Fingers pickups. Super hot, but not EMG chainsaw hot. I'm fairly certain I'll never use any other guitar for metal ever again. I'm positive I'll never buy another V.

Of course, it's not an ESP V. ESP is geared towards shredding. But the neck of my Gibson 2017 V has ZERO relief, and I'm sure I could lower the action. Only I'm not doing that, because... You know how people talk about the perfect guitar, and how one will never find it?

This is the perfect hard rock and metal guitar. It's the only guitar I've ever played that I haven't tweaked one bit.

I love it...Pickup voicing is just one of those personal things. With the EMG 57 and 81 I had some introspection about what a volume knob is for. Not to mention, with the PRS amp I played through the cleans were titanic. However, I think slightly underwound Gibby burstbuckers are EXTREMELY valuable for the broad tone pallette. Oh, and Metal..NP..just tone knobs to 10 through a Soldano or 5150 and your dead on.

This is a good time of year to look at 2017 Gibson. I will take your recomedation into serious consideration.

Thanks,

Jay

Np dude. I dunno if the ceramic Dirty Fingers can be underwound, though!

It's all relative, of course. I have nothing against EMG pickups - pretty much the only rhythm guitar metal tone of the 80s and early 90s that sounded good in that context (to me) was Hetfield's EMGs in his Gibson and/or ESP Explorer.

The Dirty Fingers are far less generic, but at the same time, they're not as super-compressed as the EMGs. Depends on what you need. But if you want a very warm, yet very chugging tone, check out the 2017 Vs.

You need a V, Pip...
You do need a V, Pip!...
Pip, that V would look great photographed in your gilt chair...

Hmmmm........all these conflicting views.........

It seems expensive when you compare it with this....

The Epiphone looks very nice but a Gibson is always going to have a better re-sale value....

"Re-sale value"? That's not remotely important, Ian. But I'm sure you already know that.

My interest in the 'Amos' reissue goes right to the heart of the history behind the original '58 and my love for the tale subsequently unfolded therein.

I really do love what Epi and JB have managed to make available to us punters.

That doesn't help matters........

Or you could save several hundred and not have the Joe B endorsed one

http://www.richtonem...AiABEgJYgvD_BwE

I don't particularly want a V at all! But if I was in the market to buy one the Epi 'Amos' would be pretty much top of the list.

Thanks for the link, Rabs!

msp_thumbup.gif

Pip.

I'd like to have one, not necessarily the JB endorsed one but just the regular Korina '58 style V. My first Gibson was a V in 1984. My second Gibson was a V in 2012. I bought a Dixon V in 1983. I kinda like them. I don't really know the difference between the Joe Bonamassa one and the regular Epiphone V but I'm not worried about resale value. I'd change what I didn't like, such as pickups or whatever.

They are definitely easy to play while sitting down and have great upper fret access. You can sit them down against a wall or a couch and not have to worry about them tipping over and they're just cool. One thing I learned when I first got my V is that the V parts stick out quite a bit more than other guitars. I was always smacking the ends on doors, mic stands and other things.

Archived