Gibson Brands Forums

Help identifying this les paul !

Temoc612

sorry, did not realize the pictures were not uploaded correctly, here they are.

Serial No is 00170426

Hey Temco;

Think this was a Deluxe that originally had mini humbuckers that have been swapped for P90’s.

Although it could be a special run for one of the big box chains.

Johnny

sorry, did not realize the pictures were not uploaded correctly, here they are.

Serial No is 00170426

That serial number has been on many fake Gibsons. My guess is that this guitar is a copy. Look closely, you can see issues even in this small pic. Google that serial number.

Here’s a link to a member asking about a goldtop with the same number.

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/64039-help-is-this-a-real-les-paul-standard/

Guest Farnsbarns

Not a good picture but I have my doubts. In that pic it looks like the pots are out of position. The cutaway looks a little odd. The tuners are very green. The inlays at the lower end look an odd shape and the centre line seems slightly off. All these things are things I see in bad photos of genuine guitars on occasion and sometimes a second pic shows I'm wrong.

• Upvote 1

Not a good picture but I have my doubts. In that pic it looks like the pots are out of position. The cutaway looks a little odd. The tuners are very green. The inlays at the lower end look an odd shape and the centre line seems slightly off. All these things are things I see in bad photos of genuine guitars on occasion and sometimes a second pic shows I'm wrong.

I am with Farns on this. I researched this and can't find a P90 Standard for 2000 and the guitar looks odd. I would avoid it.

Agree with the above.

I'm no expert but the body looks wrong - a bit shallow and top too flat.

Plus the serial number issue mentioned.

Avoid.

Hey Temco;

Think this was a Deluxe that originally had mini humbuckers that have been swapped for P90’s.

Although it could be a special run for one of the big box chains.

Johnny

Upon closer inspection this morning (through clearer eyes), I'd have to agree with some of the others and say not real.

Johnny

• 4 years later...