Gibson Brands Forums

Info on DOT

Hello folks, newbie here. I received from a friend an Epiphone Dot. I'd like to learn more about this guitar. On the front of the headstock is Epiphone with a small plate with Gibson inscribed on it. Inside the body of the guitar I can see an orange oval stamp that notes the model as DOT, but where the S/N would be stamped is a sticker with what seems to be 192990 or 92990. The reason the numbers aren't exactly clear is the sticker has been blacked out, but I can still make out the numbers, except whether or not a 1 precedes the 92990. The serial number on the back on the headstock can't be read, the sticker is torn and faded out. This guitar is laminated maple. I can only play a few chords and it's clear I won't be the guitarist out front of a band, much less the guitarist with my buddies in the garage. But, it's still a great looking guitar. Thanks for any help.

Hello folks, newbie here. I received from a friend an Epiphone Dot. I'd like to learn more about this guitar. On the front of the headstock is Epiphone with a small plate with Gibson inscribed on it. Inside the body of the guitar I can see an orange oval stamp that notes the model as DOT, but where the S/N would be stamped is a sticker with what seems to be 192990 or 92990. The reason the numbers aren't exactly clear is the sticker has been blacked out, but I can still make out the numbers, except whether or not a 1 precedes the 92990. The serial number on the back on the headstock can't be read, the sticker is torn and faded out. This guitar is laminated maple. I can only play a few chords and it's clear I won't be the guitarist out front of a band, much less the guitarist with my buddies in the garage. But, it's still a great looking guitar. Thanks for any help.

Could the first digit of the serial number be a letter I instead of a 1? That would indicate the Korean Saein factory made in 2009. Otherwise it could be from the Samick factory in 1991. Some pictures would help.

Hello folks, newbie here. I received from a friend an Epiphone Dot. I'd like to learn more about this guitar.

Here is the info page for the Dot on the Epiphone site:

http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Archtop/Dot.aspx

I've owned a Dot. I liked the neck and it had some volume unplugged as well as a good sound through my amp. It's a very respectable & affordable ES335 style guitar IMHO. Was there something specific you're wanting to learn about it?

Inside the body of the guitar I can see an orange oval stamp that notes the model as DOT, but where the S/N would be stamped is a sticker....

Sounds like a refurbished guitar, in which case a flaw at the factory caused the guitar to be sold to MIRC (at a discount), which is then resold as used. These are typically fine guitars, but might have a blemish or something.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all for the replies, apologies for not responding sooner, I've been traveling. I can't confirm if the first digit is a 1 or I. All I know for sure is the guitar was in use in 2009 and possibly before that. I'll probably sell this guitar since it's not being used and someone could make good use of it. Whenever I sell something, it's always good to provide potential buyers with as much accurate information as possible and to sell at a fair price. Please note the link below for several pictures. Thanks....

https://photos.app.goo.gl/9nblLXdj53AyJ1sV2

The Gibson truss rod cover helps narrow down the year to the mid-late 90s, early 2000s Korean manufacture.

Great little guitars. I have one in natural from that era.

Replace all wiring, pots and switches and kept the original pickups.

She's one of my best.

Archived