Gibson Brands Forums

NGD - J-35 Collecter Edition

duluthdan

zFRBG46.jpg

Specs copied from elsewhere:

J-35 Vintage Collector's Edition pairs a temperature-aged thermally cured Adirondack red spruce top with mahogany back & sides. Fitted to the body with authentic hot hide glue adhesive, the rounded mahogany neck is capped with a rosewood fingerboard featuring dot inlays while an old-style script headstock logo and a set of vintage nickel Grover open-back tuning machines grace the headstock. Other vintage-inspired appointments include a nitro lacquer finish with a Vintage Sunburst top, a classic Firestripe pickguard, a wider 1.77" bone nut, a traditional rectangle rosewood bridge with a bone saddle

Long story short - wanted a wider heftier neck than my J45TV to give me a better chance, the 1.72 and regular profile is getting less and less forgiving unless I capo up one. The neck on this J-35 is a well rounded full "C" - not as beefy as the J45 Legend, but it fills my hand nicely, I love it. Luthier's Choice neck I had on as SJ a few years ago felt flatter than thus neck - that old one I would almost describe as an oval. Thus seems to be truly round.

I gotta tell you - whether its the components, the wider meatier neck, the thru-saddle or the thermally cured top, man is this thing responsive, fun to play and sounds flipping phenomenal. I am in Northern Minnesota for awhile to take care of some things and meet up with some of my old Wednesday Band crew for a couple nights of hoots and hollers.

This one will likely easily replace the J45 TV in the playing and songwriter slot.

Happy Friday.

Wow, thats a massive difference from the wafer thin tone you normally get from a standard modern J-35. Thats a real monster.

Looks great and sounds awesome, although I would argue now its very close to an Adavance Jumbo, both in looks and tone.

Wow ! duluth, my J-35 comrade (I've got a 2011 J-35 handcrafted by Ren)

What a giant !

BTW, TWO or Three tone bars? scalloped ? Mine has a BEAST bracing(THREE UNSCALLOPED BRACES)

haven’t known her long enough to look under the covers. Perhaps I’ll get a peak when I put on a set of Sunbeams.

Wow ! duluth, my J-35 comrade (I've got a 2011 J-35 handcrafted by Ren)

What a giant !

BTW, TWO or Three tone bars? scalloped ? Mine has a BEAST bracing(THREE UNSCALLOPED BRACES)

Gotta ask, does the 2011 version have the unscalloped X brace? Because if it does I would be out there turning every stone looking for one.

Archived