Gibson Brands Forums

Adjusting a long saddle

Don7777

I have an Gibson that has what I believe is called a 'long' saddle. The ends of it taper with the shape of the bridge rather than being squared off on both ends and resting into a fitted slot on the bridge. I need to adjust this. I have adjusted a few of the squared off saddles quite successfully, but that was by sanding the bottom of them to get the correct height. If I do this with this one the edges will not line up with the ends of the slot in the bridge. Not sure if this will affect anything but the cosmetic look of the guitar, but not what I'd like either way.

I've watched a few videos on how to adjust this style of bridge and wonder if it is as easy as they make it look. Maybe not easy, but something a non pro can do with the right tools.

If I don't attempt the adjustment to the existing saddle, I am thinking I may try cutting a brand new one as a first attempt. Use the existing as a template, get it the right height, then shape the shoulders of it with my dremel and finish it with a polishing - all while not in the bridge, I'd use a vise. Not sure what I'd use to polish it... fine wet sand or a polishing compound.

Any advice?

Not sure why you can't simply taper the ends of the existing saddle in the manner you describe shaping a new one. I polish mine off simply with 1500 grit sandpaper. You can also shape the ends with a series of coarser grit paper from the top until you get the shape you want w/o using a dremel tool. The trick, if you start with a new piece of bone, will be getting the correct thickness to fit the slot just right and shaping the crown to get uniform string contact. It's good practice to cut and shape your own. At this point I have around 15 assorted homemade bone saddles of varying heights and shapes.

Archived