Gibson Brands Forums

EDS-1275 jimmy page configuration Which strings are long enough?

Light767

Hi there!

I'm looking for a 12 strings set to be long enoughto install in the EDS-1275 which the anchros type near to border of the body like in the Jimmy Page EDS, I have bought a set of 12 strings Ernie Ball and a set of 12 string Elixir and both seem to not be long enough.

D'Addario 12string electric guitar strings will fit, except for the octave G string, for that you need a longer string, one of the following:

1. C.B. Gitty Cigar Box Guitar Strings - a bulk pack of twelve .009" strings will cost you only $3.50, the strings are 40" long so will fit and you'll have a few spares.

2. LaBella Extra Long Scale 8 String Electric Guitar Strings - includes a .009" which might work if you can't get the above.

D'Addario 12string electric guitar strings will fit, except for the octave G string, for that you need a longer string, one of the following:

1. C.B. Gitty Cigar Box Guitar Strings - a bulk pack of twelve .009" strings will cost you only $3.50, the strings are 40" long so will fit and you'll have a few spares.

2. LaBella Extra Long Scale 8 String Electric Guitar Strings - includes a .009" which might work if you can't get the above.

Hi!

First thanks for your answear! Well I suppose that I'll need also the longer D string anyway I'm actually building an EDS replica for me I'm looking at which distance put the anchors stop tailspiece, I don't know if it's the case of using the Jimmy page configuration because I will have to always buys a 12 strings set and then look for the G and D from some spare around the web. I was thinking that a ready to use set could be found somewhere.

Also I don't understand one thing, Gibson do sell the Jimmy page replica, is that possible that they don't provide a proper set of strings?

EDIT: I have just checked the lengh of D and G strings of my Elixir set and they are 1 meter long (which is 0.40 inch) just like the C.B. Gitty so they are not long enough too. I think that to fit the Jimmy Page scheme I'll need something like 1,15 meter more or less.

I have just checked the lengh of D and G strings of my Elixir set and they are 1 meter long (which is 0.40 inch) just like the C.B. Gitty so they are not long enough too. I think that to fit the Jimmy Page scheme I'll need something like 1,15 meter more or less.

There is a crucial 1.6 cm difference between 1 meter and 40", just enough to get the string wound on the capstan.

Also, strings lighter than .010 tend to be even shorter than the other strings in standard sets, so .009 or .008 gauge strings from a set often fall short for the octave G on 12 string guitars.

There is a crucial 1.6 cm difference between 1 meter and 40", just enough to get the string wound on the capstan.

Also, strings lighter than .010 tend to be even shorter than the other strings in standard sets, so .009 or .008 gauge strings from a set often fall short for the octave G on 12 string guitars.

The Ernie ball set that I have it's 101 cm and somethign so I think it's already 0.4 inches anyway isn't long enough to fit the jimmy page configuration because the stoptails piece is something like 10 cm behind its standard position so it's not a matter of 1 or 2 cm but it's something more. At least I'm talking about the D and G strings which are the longest needed.

I play and I drink Elixir , this is my choice .

I use Elixir too on my standard Les Paul but it seem that Elixir are long 101 cm (0,40 inch) and this is not long enought to fit the Jimmy Page configuration for the EDS double neck. I'm starting to think that I would need a custom made set of strings for that.

Hi there!

I'm looking for a 12 strings set to be long enoughto install in the EDS-1275 which the anchros type near to border of the body like in the Jimmy Page EDS, I have bought a set of 12 strings Ernie Ball and a set of 12 string Elixir and both seem to not be long enough.

Hi Light;

Think I recall reading somewhere the Page used Ernie Balls.

Here's a clip from a add for them from AMS.

"Great Prices on Ernie Ball Strings from American Musical Supply. AMS offers 0% Interest ... Ernie Ball 2230 12-String Slinky Nickel Wound Electric Guitar Strings. Ernie Ball 12-String ... String length is 53' "

you can call Ernie at 805-544-7726 to confirm.

Johnny

I do not have a 12er but it would seem that the D's and G's need to longer than the rest since the headstock is so much longer. The A's and B's may need to be just a touch longer too.

Yeah that's the issue here for him....the JP set up on this guitar has the tp back about 4-5 inches from the standard eds-1275 so strings need to be extra long. Only thing I could find with a quick look around that would be over the 44-45 inches I'm guessing he might need are the EBs I referenced.

Hi!

I have bought this set https://www.ernieball.it/guitar-strings/electric-guitar-strings/slinky-nickel-wound-electric-guitar-strings/8-12-string#P02230 and it's something like 101 cm (which is about 0,40 inches) so it's not long enough to use it in the jimmy page configuration, expecially for the D and G strings. Anyway I have installed the anchor type stop tailpieces on the EDS replica that I'm building and i Have put them at the maximum distance possible from the tune o matic considering the standard lenght of strings sets.

Hi!

I have bought this set https://www.ernieball.it/guitar-strings/electric-guitar-strings/slinky-nickel-wound-electric-guitar-strings/8-12-string#P02230 and it's something like 101 cm (which is about 0,40 inches) so it's not long enough to use it in the jimmy page configuration, expecially for the D and G strings. Anyway I have installed the anchor type stop tailpieces on the EDS replica that I'm building and i Have put them at the maximum distance possible from the tune o matic considering the standard lenght of strings sets.

Guess you cant believe everything you read as the ad i referenced stated 53 inches which would been enough for you.

Ah ok, cool that you are still in the build stage and can locate the tail anchors for the string lengths available.

Got me wondering now if any of the EDS's actually have had the JP set up. Most of the recent pics I could find on the net have the tp in the standard location.

Good luck and post pics of your project, we love that kind of stuff.

Johnny

Guess you cant believe everything you read as the ad i referenced stated 53 inches which would been enough for you.

Ah ok, cool that you are still in the build stage and can locate the tail anchors for the string lengths available.

Got me wondering now if any of the EDS's actually have had the JP set up. Most of the recent pics I could find on the net have the tp in the standard location.

Good luck and post pics of your project, we love that kind of stuff.

Johnny

Hi!

Thanks for the interest! I'll will post some pictures as soon as I can! I have been working on this dam guitar for 2 years, almost! I'm near to finish!

Anyway that description of ernie ball 12 strings set is clearly wrong as I have bought them and they are 101 cm more or less. Also I have contacted Ernie ball via e-mail and this is the answear:

"Please Note: Those strings were custom made exclusively for Mr. Page; they are not available to the public."

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...