Gibson Brands Forums

Baretta FX404SX?

wilas101

The kids just picked up a project for me and through some google time I believe it's a Baretta FX404SX but would love to verify that. I couldn't locate a serial number lookup for Kramers so i have no clue what year it may have been made or anything else beyond my believe that it's a musicyo baretta. In the course of hunting info I found this forum so I thought I'd try my luck.

I'm sure you guys get these quite often so please know I truly appreciate any info that can be passed my way.

THANKS! :)

mOLIAHUm.jpg

XKX7Avmm.jpg

WJLqHkom.jpg

n2xEYNdm.jpg

QVmzKxWm.jpg

GjBKBgim.jpg

OtZnHuum.jpg

• 1 month later...

I am not sure if that is exactly what you have there.

It's a Beretta, for sure.

But the FX404SX's that I have seen have a more modern (think 1999 or 2000) headstock shape.

Made in 1987, if my research of similar models (with a variety of stickers and icons on display) are worth anything.

But who know?

Gorgeous example of what Kramer did best.

I myself own a Kramer Ferrington from 1986.

[tongue]

Edited by sparquelito

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

The FX404 part should be right

FX would denote the fixed bridge

404 would denote the dual quad-rails

S would denote "Standard" (as opposed to "C" for "custom" for the maple top strikers)

X... who knows, they really made no sense of it. S/D was for the standard with a D-Tuna and headstocks could be reversed or normal but it seems like at some point they may have used SN for normal headstock orientation and SX for reversed headstock (but then they didn't do that for the beak headstock).

So yes, it does seem like your guitar would be an FX404SX

If there's any logic to the serial your guitar was made in '99. I have a 98 serial which has the beak headstock, skull tuners, floyd and only 22 frets. I think these weren't in production for very long and they went to the 24 fret banana headstock design pretty soon, for good reason. At some point they also went from a small medium jumbo fret size (found on my guitar) to jumbo frets (which everyone else seems to have)

As for the idea of it being made in 87... Yes, it does have the pyramid logo that was introduced in 1987 but it is definitely not from the pre-Gibson era of Kramers

Edited by PerKr