Gibson Brands Forums

A better nickel wound.......

Buc McMaster

I've been enjoying Martin Retro strings on the 14-fret J-45 for a while now........very dry and thumpy, suiting my playing style very well. However, I think I've found a better version of this string: Martin Titanium. Just wow. Much more flexible than the Retros........out of the package, the wound strings are limp like cooked spaghetti noddles........really! Very soft under the fingers and the feel is a bit slicker than the Retros. Tonally, if anything, they are just a shade darker than the Retros but it's hard to hear that. Yeah, yeah.........at $40 a set they ain't cheap, but reviews have them lasting pretty much forever without appreciable loss of tone. Nickel is quite resistant to corrosion and titanium is off the charts in that regard........

If you play Retros you might want to give the Titaniums a go at some point..........to my thinking an improved nickel wound string.

That is all.

I saw those while in Nashville recently but decided not to buy due the price, until I could find some reviews on them. Like this one, lol. My 1956 Country Western seems to play purty for months on one set of strings for some reason, so, I might try on that. Plus, try on my J45 Legend Limited, as the Retro strings sound good on your J45, Buc.

I had a set I was gigging with this summer, and loved them. They felt soft, tuned well, and were the perfect strings for my J50. Very fundamental, mellow, woody... all those things people say about nickel strings. The b string broker after a while, which bummed me out. I never break strings.

I will buy them again I suppose; I just have to get over the same distaste many of you feel at a $40 string set. If they were half that price, I’d be more inclined.

Your killin' me Buc. I gotta' try and know I'll be hooked. I have two sets of Thom-Infelds in my string basket at 20 bucks a pop, and have the feeling my old guitars will love the upgrade. I look at strings the same way I look at shoes.

I can't find 13's so I'm figuring 12's is all they do.

Archived