Gibson Brands Forums

Riviera P93 Feedback issues

tbonetone

I am pleased with my guitar, it seems to sit very well on me and it has a mellow sound. However in a live situation using a modest amount of gain I am struggling to cut through the live band mix (not that loud a band, old timers playing rock and roll) and when I turn it up the thing starts howling. I only bought it as the hollowbody Ibanez I had was bad in this respect but this seems no better - thought it would be as I thought from the fittings it was semi solid? Any others having issues? Help!!

Hi t-b-t and welcome to the forums......[thumbup]

It does appear that this Riviera is a semi solid, so therefore should be less feedback prone than a hollow

Bearing in mind rockabilly players often play hollow bodies loud and clear.....:blink:

Feedback can be minimised in a variety of ways

Being aware of standing in the best place relative to the amp.....(are any monitors used?)

Banded EQ's and notch filters can effectively remove troublesome frequencies

Pickup selection and guitar tone/volume settings all play a part

V

:-({|=

The Epiphone Riviera Custom P93 guitar is indeed a semi hollow body guitar. While I do not play with a band, I do notice my Riviera P93's propensity for feedback with the gain turned up and the closer I am to my amp. Having said that, I don't get feedback when I clear about ten or more feet from the amp, even with a lot of gain. If I am close to the amp, I get feedback with gain generated from the amp's overdrive channel or when I used pedals. I don't notice the feedback on the clean channel with a lot of volume, although I certainly notice the EMI hum (or whatever it is called), which becomes louder proportional to the volume on any setting.

It's a hollow body, in live situations when pushing volume and gain, it's what they do. IME, (having 3 of them) you have to learn how to live with it.

Getting away from the amp is probably one of the better / cheaper solutions. The positioning of where you are, and where your amp is, -- it's a big deal with these. it's like setting up mics before a performance, some stage spots are just going to set vocal mics wailing..

The other thing is to either use your hand to mute strings between songs, turn down the volume, or shut off the OD.. (these are the things I would normally do as well as be cautious of my positioning to the amp.)

Replacing the pickups with some that are more resilient to feed back is another, but even after that, it's still going to be something to deal with.

so in short, there are tings to be done where you can minimize it, but I don't think you can completely eliminate it,

I have used a couple of feedback reduction pedal things . I have found that using a different amp , with less gain , the feedback is somewhat , or even quite completely reduced . I have a reissue Epiphone Century amp that has very little , even at the highest volume . That particular amplifier also works quite most excellently , also , with other hollow and semi hollow acoustic/electric guitars . I do wish Epiphone would produce a larger version :( To me , that would be very excellent . But the 1 i do have "here" is quite OK :) I suppose you could make or obtain "f" hole covers , somewhere . Using something like that might also reduce feedback , somewhat , maybe ...well , most likely, again, only in my humble opinion :)

good luck . If you find an answer , please revisit this thread and let everyone know what is up . And , might you have a photograph you could post , of your subject P93 Riviera ?That would be quite OK also , imho :) ;:) I love these things , well ,because they are awesome electric guitars ,;that is why I do love them so much :);ntEQFjJ.jpgp

also , try this guy , maybe :)(I have no affiliation , what so ever :) see below I have also put the universal "fix all" over the "f" holes , duct tape ...it works , a little , cut a piece to look like an f hole , maybe a little bigger , all around , hey , no one will know , or care except you , and , you might start a new "trend" , maybe . Well , if you don't mind looking uncool , try it , or try it when no one will see you doing that :) msp_blushing.gif

1 more comment :) Yes , the amp you may use with that thing may play a part with the feedback you are encountering , maybe :(

I have a Fender Vaporizer amplifier. I can not use it for any hollow or semi hollow electric guitar . Even at zero volume , feedback still comes out of it :( But , it works perfectly with this thing , oh yes it most certainly does :) indeed it does :)

c5EZEv3.jpgso if you can , take your Epiphone Riviera P93 to a few places that might let you try your guitar out with various types and manufacturers amps. . I do not believe any place , actually , would mind or care , most likely . Well , give it a shot . You may find a better amp that still allows you to obtain the volume and tone necessary , and bring out the best in that particular instrument :) I also use 4 amps "here" , just to let you know what has worked quite well , for myself , with those particular instruments . 1 being a Bugera V5 with a 2x12 cabinet , the other , an "Acoustic": brand g120 DSP 2x12 combo :) and Fender Acoustisonic 90 and 150 amps :)

peace :)

Archived