• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Les Paul Whats The Differance

#1 User is offline   FZ Fan 

• Jumbo Go Away
  • Group: All Access
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 28 November 2017 - 06:58 AM

So I can go on Gibson's website and look at LP's. There are about almost 200 different LP's on the site. If we take all the ones that when they are being built, and break them down to just the ones that use the classic LP tone woods - Mahogany body, Maple cap and a Mahogany neck. So when it is just a body and neck an nothing else what determines if it will be a Classic, Traditional, Standard, Special, Studio ect ect. Is it just as simple as wood quality? Or is there more.

#2 User is offline   MichaelT 

• Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver.
  • LocationSomewhere in Kentucky

Posted 28 November 2017 - 07:44 AM

View PostFZ Fan, on 28 November 2017 - 06:58 AM, said:

So I can go on Gibson's website and look at LP's. There are about almost 200 different LP's on the site. If we take all the ones that when they are being built, and break them down to just the ones that use the classic LP tone woods - Mahogany body, Maple cap and a Mahogany neck. So when it is just a body and neck an nothing else what determines if it will be a Classic, Traditional, Standard, Special, Studio ect ect. Is it just as simple as wood quality? Or is there more.

I'm no expert but I've been studying them more since buying one earlier this year. Back when I was first playing guitar, there weren't this many varieties. The woods used and construction is pretty much the same. They kind of vary by model and features and by year made. The pickups are one of the main differences, other than the finish, top and binding along with the price. All in all, they all feel and play like a Les Paul. Cases vary as well. Standard, Traditional, Classic and Studio all have hard shell cases. The others come with gig bags.

http://www.gibson.co...ht-for-You.aspx

In the USA line:

1. Standard - "Flagship" model with binding, highly figured top AAA, ultra modern weight relief, slim taper neck, push/pull pots (recently), locking tuners, Burstbucker Pro pickups.
2. Traditional - Traditional style Les Paul with binding, with no weight relief, typically an AA top, Burstbucker 1 and 2 pickups, 50's style neck, hand wired. Think of this as the 50's Les Paul.
3. Classic - Usually is a traditional style Les Paul with binding, classic weight relief - 9 holes/swiss cheese, the top is usually a plain top, pickups vary by year, classic 57's usually but this year (2018) they're P90's, slim taper neck, hand wired. Think of this as the classic 60's and 70's Les Paul.
4. Studio - Same as Standard without binding, and usually A top or solid color, 490R/498T humbuckers.
5. Tribute - Same as Studio with but with satin finish, usually 490 R & T pickups.
6. Faded - Similar to Tribute but with no block/trapezoid inlays, satin finish, 490 R & T pickups.
7. Special - Thinner guitar, usually one pickup.

The big difference seems to be the finish, binding or lack thereof and pickups. The wood is mostly the same on Classic, Traditional, Standard, Studio and Tribute. You also have the HP (High Performance) models with feature automatic tuners, a cutaway heel for "easier" higher fret access. I hope this is helpful.

Then, you have a whole other line of Custom shop guitars as well. For those wanting the regular Les Paul, hand-wired with the traditional features, the Classic and Traditional would be a popular choice (or a used Standard). The new Standards have additional features, including a printed circuit board in the pot cavity instead of hand-wired. Studios are awesome but don't have the traditional binding. Personally, I love my Tribute and I play it as much as my Standard. My friend has a Faded and it's nice but I think for the price, a higher end Epiphone is better or a Tribute. There's probably things I missed but it's a good start. I asked this question myself, or one similar, a while back.

#3 User is offline   FZ Fan 

• Jumbo Go Away
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 28 November 2017 - 08:16 AM

I've owed 2 Studio's (one was all Hog, and one was a 50's Tribute in Honeyburst), a Classic in Ebony and I currently have a Trad Pro II in Merlot with a Flame Top. Most times I mod my pups. The Trad Pro II has Lindy Fralin Pure PAF's in it. I think I put Rio Grandes in the Classic, a BBQ in the bridge and Texas in the neck, the Honeyburst had Dimarzio pups in it, and the Hog was all stock.

#4 User is offline   NighthawkChris 

• Advanced Member

Posted 28 November 2017 - 08:31 AM

I believe the 2018 Classic and Traditional are not weight relieved. Seems like this may have been different in the past, but I believe that this is true of the 2018 LP's I mentioned.

#5 User is offline   FZ Fan 

• Jumbo Go Away
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 28 November 2017 - 08:58 AM

View PostNighthawkChris, on 28 November 2017 - 08:31 AM, said:

I believe the 2018 Classic and Traditional are not weight relieved. Seems like this may have been different in the past, but I believe that this is true of the 2018 LP's I mentioned.

Les Paul Standard HP 2018Next Generation of Looks, Tone and PlayabilityThe Les Paul Standard HP retains popular features, including comfortable asymmetrical Slim Taper neck profile, while enhancing the experience with upgraded takes on the hallowed PAF humbucking pickups and a AAA+ figured maple top with high-end appointments. The HP model delivers cutting-edge innovations for the forward-looking player including next-gen Gibson G FORCE™ tuners, Ultra-Modern weight relief with belly scarf, fast-access heel, soloist neck width, and titanium adjustable zero-fret nut and saddles. Exceptional son-ic tonal variety provided by 4 push-pull pots with DIP switch for over 150 reversible instant rewiring options.

Les Paul Traditional 2018Mythical Les PaulThe Les Paul guitar that established the legend, with the power, look, and feel of the world’s most desirable dual-humbucker electric guitar. The Les Paul Traditional retains the archetypal feel of the vintage Les Paul guitars in its rounded neck profile, solid rosewood fingerboard and non-weight relieved body. Traditional looks are complemented by the legendary tonewood combination of a mahogany body and AA figured maple top, vintage style tuners and ABR bridge and nickel-plated hardware. Classic PAF tones are enhanced by hand-wired electronics including Orange Drop capacitors.

Les Paul Standard 2018Improved Modern Performance and TonesThe iconic Les Paul Standard is celebrated by the world’s greatest musicians as the standard for perfection in the world of electric guitars. The new Les Paul Standard features the popular asymmetrical Slim Taper neck profile with Ultra-Modern weight relief for increased comfort and playability. Impeccable looks are highlighted by the powerful tonewood combination of mahogany back and carved maple AAA figured top. BurstBucker Pro humbuckers provide modern and classic tones, while immense tonal variety from comes from 4 push-pull knobs.

Les Paul Classic 2018New and Improved ClassicThe Les Paul Classic guitar conveys major elements of the iconic Les Paul look with the legendary tone-wood combination of a mahogany-and-maple non-weight relief body, bound body top and fingerboard with trapezoid fingerboard inlays. Fast and comfortable playability is increased with a Slim Taper neck. Additional appointments include a pair of P-90 pickups, ABR bridge, nickel-plated hardware, and hand-wired electronics including Orange Drop capacitors.

You are correct. The Standard HP and Standard are weight-relieved.

#6 User is offline   NighthawkChris 

• Advanced Member

Posted 28 November 2017 - 09:36 AM

To add to the question about the decision to make a Classic, Standard, Studio, etc. this I would believe is highly dependent on what you said wood quality. I believe that the wood used in these guitars is high quality, just that the "higher end" guitars are more figured, flamed, etc. on the maple tops and the bulk of the body I would imagine in more nicely grained as well. I mean, if you have this deeply stained or solid color body, you don't pay attention to the wood characteristics other than it is solid. This is why these guitars are around the (authorized Gibson dealers) MSRP of $1000-$2000 range give or take a few hundred. It seems once you start to pay the MSRP of $2500 and up, your maple top starts to look "nicer". I saw a few videos on YT about the factory and it touches on some of these topics. Sure much hasn't changed since, so give them a view to see if more details can be disclosed on the wood selection processes and such.

Regarding the weight relieving and such, this seems to be a lineup thing (i.e. Standards, HP, etc.). This is more generically assigned I imagine as one can choose to weight relieve, one cannot make naturally occurring wood grains look any other way than what they are for the most part. A lot of the cost in Gibson guitars are wrapped up in the wood quality business and the extra effort to make them - i.e. weight relieving is an extra step in the process that I am sure the user pays for.

#7 User is offline   FZ Fan 

• Jumbo Go Away
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 28 November 2017 - 01:55 PM

View PostNighthawkChris, on 28 November 2017 - 09:36 AM, said:

A lot of the cost in Gibson guitars are wrapped up in the wood quality business and the extra effort to make them - i.e. weight relieving is an extra step in the process that I am sure the user pays for.

And King Henry's Greed.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users