Gibson Brands Forums

Replacement knurled toggle nut for '96 Les Paul Studio?

Hi,

I have a '96 Les Paul Studio with gold hardware. It is tarnished, bubbling, and chipped. I'm in the processing of replacing everything with chrome. Through Gibson's own after-market parts and AllParts I've done pretty well, however, I can't, for the life of me, find a chrome knurled toggle nut that fits the stock toggle switch. I've tried WD Music's WDTK (which is the style of the brass nut currently installed) and G4699F, but neither fit. I realize now that WDTK is metric and would never fit. I thought G4699F would do it, what with it's imperial threading and all, but alas it did not. So, without straight up buying a new toggle switch just for the nut, where can I obtain one that fits?

Thanks!

Hi,

I have a '96 Les Paul Studio with gold hardware. It is tarnished, bubbling, and chipped. I'm in the processing of replacing everything with chrome. Through Gibson's own after-market parts and AllParts I've done pretty well, however, I can't, for the life of me, find a chrome knurled toggle nut that fits the stock toggle switch. I've tried WD Music's WDTK (which is the style of the brass nut currently installed) and G4699F, but neither fit. I realize now that WDTK is metric and would never fit. I thought G4699F would do it, what with it's imperial threading and all, but alas it did not. So, without straight up buying a new toggle switch just for the nut, where can I obtain one that fits?

Thanks!

I do not particularly know where to get something like this, sorry, but why I ask are you intent on using the stock switch when replacing a toggle switch is a very simple thing to do if you have basic soldering skills and a few extra bucks around to upgrade your existing part? Short of buying another LP '96 Studio with gold HW or some other LP with this switch intact to be able to perform a transplant, you will have to take your guitar in to shops and such to see what they have and try out some samples. This is item you are inquiring about seems like something uncommon as I imagine most people do as you suggested - to just buy a new switch and replace it entirely. If a new switch is installed correctly, you'll like it, everyone that plays it will like it, it will be a good deal for something so trivial you and/or others count on functioning. So long as it works and doesn't mess with the guitar's aesthetics too much, even selling a guitar with replacement parts such as yours shouldn't significantly impact it's final price if this is what you are thinking about... Either way, I apologize that I do not have exactly what you are looking for, but I felt like inquiring about this nonetheless. I hope you happen to run into the part - that would be awesome. But if you have difficulties finding it, I think replacing it isn't a bad idea for the interim and holding on to the original stored away somewhere if you have sentimental value in the guitar. Simply keep an eye out for it, and when you get lucky and find it, you can reinstall the original as you intended. So, best of luck and wishes to you finding the part.

Hi,

Thanks!

Hey capn

Isn't the rest of the switch gold too? Wont you see that against the chrome nut? I'd just get the new switch, with two nuts already that dont fit, one more that doesn't and you're already 1/2 way to a new switch.

Johnny

Hey capn

Isn't the rest of the switch gold too? Wont you see that against the chrome nut? I'd just get the new switch, with two nuts already that dont fit, one more that doesn't and you're already 1/2 way to a new switch.

Johnny

Actually no. Only the nut is gold (well, not gold, it looks like brass to me, it's def not plated like the stopbar and such). If the toggle shaft was gold then I wouldn't be on this forum because, yeah, I'd simply get a new toggle. It's the principle of the thing y'know. Sure I could make all this go away and simply replace the whole thing, but the switch is perfectly fine and a new one is like $30 CAD. No thank you! Especially since a replacement nut would only be like $3. A new switch is the absolute last resort.

The really annoying part is that the nut and washer on the jack plate are also brass, but AllParts totally had imperial/US chrome replacements for them. Ugh.

Actually no. Only the nut is gold (well, not gold, it looks like brass to me, it's def not plated like the stopbar and such). If the toggle shaft was gold then I wouldn't be on this forum because, yeah, I'd simply get a new toggle. It's the principle of the thing y'know. Sure I could make all this go away and simply replace the whole thing, but the switch is perfectly fine and a new one is like $30 CAD. No thank you! Especially since a replacement nut would only be like $3. A new switch is the absolute last resort.

The really annoying part is that the nut and washer on the jack plate are also brass, but AllParts totally had imperial/US chrome replacements for them. Ugh.

Well looking at the links posted washers are around 3 bucks a pop (you already bought 2 and looking for a third) and switches were 20 so 9 is almost half way there.

OK, kinda weird, sounds like the switch was replaced before then. Yeah this stuff ain't cheap in Canada that's for sure, always jealous of the US pricing for guitar related stuff.

Anyway

Found this for a nut

https://www.amazon.ca/Genuine-Switchcraft-thread-Chrome-switches/dp/B07167PF91/ref=sr_1_107?ie=UTF8&qid=1512001956&sr=8-107&keywords=guitar+toggle+switches

Or if you don't need actual switch craft you can get a whole switch cheaper here, I've used components from these guys loads of times without issues, with these guys I usually order a bunch of stuff at once - makes the shipping better.

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Cream-Tip-Long-USA-Style-Les-Paul-Toggle-Switch-Chrome_p_18998.html

Johnny

Well looking at the links posted washers are around 3 bucks a pop (you already bought 2 and looking for a third) and switches were 20 so 9 is almost half way there.

I can return the other nuts. We'll see. Like I said, it's the principal of the thing. I should be able to get a freaking nut that fits somewhere somehow. It just seems crazy otherwise.

OK, kinda weird, sounds like the switch was replaced before then. Yeah this stuff ain't cheap in Canada that's for sure, always jealous of the US pricing for guitar related stuff.

Nope. The switch is stock. In fact, while anecdotal, I've never seen a toggle switch that was entirely gold installed stock on a Les Paul.

I'm pretty sure at this point that all Switchcraft hardware is metric. As I said before, I have two metric nuts and neither fit. My switch is stock imperial/US threaded.

Or if you don't need actual switch craft you can get a whole switch cheaper here, I've used components from these guys loads of times without issues, with these guys I usually order a bunch of stuff at once - makes the shipping better.

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Cream-Tip-Long-USA-Style-Les-Paul-Toggle-Switch-Chrome_p_18998.html

That's a great price. Unfortunately, I'd get dinged with cross boarding shipping and duty. Might as well buy a more expensive one from a Canadian supplier and get it cheaper. Luckily, there are local Gibson and AllParts dealers here in Ottawa.

Don't turn into an nut looking for a certain kind of nut, haha! msp_biggrin.gif I know, this is a "dad" joke. I've been acquiring this kind of humor unfortunately. I get what you're saying about having to buy a new switch for the purpose of a nut, but it really seems like the easier way to go to get what you want in terms of tangible stuff. I'd spare yourself the headache and replace the switch to something with quality, and tighten that nut! Don't lose this one, haha!

Both my LPCs have completely gold/brass switches. Not trying to be argumentative, I get it, obtaining a nut should be a simple thing.

I’m in Canada too and the stuff from GFS if under $100 doesn’t seem to get flagged, at least that’s been my experience. Bulk shipping charges though, so basically same shipping for multiple items as long as it all fits in the same box.

Johnny

• 1 month later...

I found that when I had to replace the switch in my 1991 Les Paul the switch was a Japan made switch with metric threads. I was miffed and thought Gibson was using a cheep China switch but my guitar tech told me the Japan made switch is a high quality switch and as good as a Switchcraft.

thanks John

Archived