Gibson Brands Forums

Distance from nut to middle of pickup screw

Make it stop

I was hoping those of you with a newer (10 or less years) Les Paul or really any Gibson with a fixed bridge and has access to a precise measuring device like an industrial grade stainless steel ruler could please measure the distance from the nut (side of the nut resting on the end of the fingerboard) to the very centre of one of the pole/screws in the bottom row of the bridge pickup. of to the nearest 32nd of an inch.

Your help is very much appreciated!

Could you clarify?

RE; "the very centre of the middle pickup pole/screw" specifically.

If you mean the very center space between the neck pickup's northern most center pole pieces, it's 18 & 5/8 inches.

My new Les Paul Faded has naked pickups, so there's no chrome cover and no screws, just the pole pieces.

Here is the precise spot to which I measured, indicated by the red x:

054254.png

Could you clarify?

RE; "the very centre of the middle pickup pole/screw" specifically.

If you mean the very center space between the neck pickup's northern most center pole pieces, it's 18 & 5/8 inches.

My new Les Paul Faded has naked pickups, so there's no chrome cover and no screws, just the pole pieces.

Here is the precise spot to which I measured, indicated by the red x:

054254.png

Wow, sorry about the lack of clarity, that's what I get posting this right before I fell asleep.

I fixed my original post now, hopefully it makes sense.

So it would be nut/end of fingerboard to the very center of one of the pole screws in the bottom row of screws of the bridge pickup (preferably one of the 2 centre screws). Should be around 23 1/2 " give or take.

Thanks for your response, I'm looking for a few responses to see the variance.

How old is your LP?

Why are you asking other people to do this versus doing this yourself? What is the purpose of this? What is your goal?

I have measured this myself on more than one LP. The neck p/u placement has been consistent, the bridge p/u has not. Gibson has supposedly moved the bridge p/u closer to the bridge on newer guitars, based on a specific measurement. The purpose is to collect more samples to see how consistent they are, to see if one or more of my samples are outliers. The goal then is to determine the ideal p/u placement, at least by Gibson current standards, if there is one.

Did I answer correctly?

Guest Farnsbarns

I have measured this myself on more than one LP. The neck p/u placement has been consistent, the bridge p/u has not. Gibson has supposedly moved the bridge p/u closer to the bridge on newer guitars, based on a specific measurement. The purpose is to collect more samples to see how consistent they are, to see if one or more of my samples are outliers. The goal then is to determine the ideal p/u placement, at least by Gibson current standards, if there is one.

Did I answer correctly?

There is no ideal.

Scale length is used to describe the fret locations, not the length of the strings. It's a theoretical number. Each of the strings on the guitar is a different length and that length often changes when a new, seemingly identical string is put on it. Because the saddle placement, and therefore the relative distance to the bridge pickup, is variable there is no point trying to work out the "ideal" pickup position.

It's just a bit in front of the bridge. Play about and find a good spot and measure it.

Archived