Gibson Brands Forums

Need help dating an older j50

CBat

Hey guys,

So I recently inherited a guitar from my grandfather when he passed away. It's an interesting one, an older gibson j50 that's clearly had a bit of a storied life to it. Out of curiosity, I'd like to find out a bit more about it, in particular what year it was made. I've been doing a bit of research on it, but I've been struggling a bit, so I was hoping you guys could help!

Photos:

https://imgur.com/a/IqcQZ (headstock)

https://imgur.com/a/bcQSt (body)

I don't know much about the history of it- there were no documents left behind and no one else in the family knows much about it. I believe he bought it used many years ago, and may have had to have it restored or refurbished. He also added some of his own modifications later (including the magnetic pickup which you can see in the photos).

As far as the guitar itself, the text underneath the soundhole reads "J50 Adj. Bridge", and there's also a number written on the base of the headstock inside the guitar - "T6420 81". According to the sources I could find, the "T" indicates that it's a 1958 (if it's a FON, or if that's the serial number, it would means it's a 1964), but it looks a bit different from other gibson guitars of those years... for instance, the pick-guard and the logo on the headstock. Actually, I've never seen a gibson with a headstock logo like that- I wonder if it's a fake, or perhaps the logo was replaced at some point?

Can't really tell too much else about it... it's pretty beat up to be honest, the "gems" on the fretboard are falling off, and the plastic strips around the edges are peeling. It looks like it's probably played more than it's share of songs in its life. It's fun to play though, super mellow bass.

Anyways, any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated!

Interested in a woman over 50 you say?

I have some experience with dating older ladies, so I'll offer my best advice.

First, be polite and respectful.

Young gals will generally be willing to put up with a lot of male bravado and guff, but a mature woman expects just a bit more gentility and grace from a gentleman, no matter how much younger you are.

Next, patience above all.

Let her call the shots, and if and when she is ready for intimate relations, she'll let you know.

Don't rush it, I guess that's what I am saying.

Out on the town, do the stately, old-fashioned things.

Hold the door open for her, compliment her dress and pearls, and let her guide the conversation.

in the bedroom, take it slow and easy.

A grown woman knows what she wants, and she'll let you know what gives her the most joy.

But no 'wham-bam, thank you ma'am' antics. Make sure she gets hers before you give into the temptation to finish early.

The pleasure that you give her will surely return to you in spades.

Oh, well hell.

I just put on my reading glasses.

You are talking about determining the heritage of an older guitar, not dating an older woman.

Never mind.

:( [unsure][crying]

Interested in a woman over 50 you say?

I have some experience with dating older ladies, so I'll offer my best advice.

First, be polite and respectful.

Young gals will generally be willing to put up with a lot of male bravado and guff, but a mature woman expects just a bit more gentility and grace from a gentleman, no matter how much younger you are.

Next, patience above all.

Let her call the shots, and if and when she is ready for intimate relations, she'll let you know.

Don't rush it, I guess that's what I am saying.

Out on the town, do the stately, old-fashioned things.

Hold the door open for her, compliment her dress and pearls, and let her guide the conversation.

in the bedroom, take it slow and easy.

A grown woman knows what she wants, and she'll let you know what gives her the most joy.

But no 'wham-bam, thank you ma'am' antics. Make sure she gets hers before you give into the temptation to finish early.

The pleasure that you give her will surely return to you in spades.

Oh, well hell.

I just put on my reading glasses.

You are talking about determining the heritage of an older guitar, not dating an older woman.

Never mind.

:( [unsure][crying]

I'm no expert -- and I will gladly defer to those who are -- but that body shape just looks "off" to me. Maybe it's just the angle of the photo, but to my eye, it looks odd.

I was thinking somebody refinished the headstock and just painted "Gibson" on there. I've never seen anything remotely like that.

I'll be interested to see what the forum's bona fide experts have to say.....

Sorry...looks like a fake. I've never seen one with those characteristics. But if you like the way it sounds and its history, enjoy it.

Yea, I thought that might have been the case, but seeing everyone's comments now, it seems pretty certain. Ah well, I don't mind.

Thanks everyone for your responses anyways!

That logo (restored???) is "interesting looking" to say the least. How does it sound?

Yea it's a funky logo, no idea where it came from. The sound is not bad, it's soft but balanced, and the bass tones in particular are very mellow but full-sounding. It's nothing special, but it's good enough to pick up and play from time to time.

Archived