Gibson Brands Forums

Explorer Gig Bags

A.T.

Someone please tell me who makes the best gig bags for Explorers. I've owned one and almost bought another, both of which did not fit properly. The first one I had decades ago you couldn't get the zipper closed over the tip of the head stock. The one I just ordered and sent back was almost as bad. You could force it shut but the bag was actually stretched from headstock tip to body tail point. so that the zipper was in contact with the guitar. (no padding).

There must be a manufacturer out there that makes one that actually fits. Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Thanks

A.T.

I keep mine in a regular old Gibson Explorer/Firebird case. Can't help you with gig bags, good luck with it.

rct

Thanks. Yah. Me too. But jeez that case is huge and heavy. A gig bag saves one trip back and forth when loading in at a gig. Bag over the shoulder. Amp in one hand. Hockey bag with pedal board in the other. That bloody case is one trip on it's own. Not to mention when you show up with it everyone thinks you're the keyboard player. :)

To be honest, I did not even know that an Explorer gig bag existed... I get it your interested in transportation ease, but just deal with the hard shell case. Gig bags only keep the dust off your guitar when push comes to shove. If I Google "explorer gig bag", I get results for hard shell cases and gig bags that fit the "typical" guitar shapes. If you are intent on this gig bag solution, you're most likely going to have to craft something yourself.

EDIT: I stand corrected... Learn something new every day :-)

https://www.amazon.c...s/dp/B00S1992WO

• 2 weeks later...

For my 2016 explorers that came with gig bags I bought Epiphone cases versus using the Gibson gig bags.

So Gibson/Epiphone make one?

Long&McQuade in Canada carry one but it's too short and there's nothing between the tip of the headstock and the damn zipper.

Here are a few I found on the web. Anybody had a closer look at any of these?

For my 2016 explorers that came with gig bags I bought Epiphone cases versus using the Gibson gig bags.

Long&McQuade in Canada carry one but it's too short and there's nothing between the tip of the headstock and the damn zipper.

post-75677-085537900 1513379236_thumb.jpg

post-75677-013251100 1513379249_thumb.jpg

post-75677-088698300 1513379258_thumb.jpg

Gibson has a large gigbag for Explorers, Flying Vs and Firebirds. I don’t know if you can buy them from Gibson directly. They fit but I don’t have a lot of trust in them. They are better than the cheap bags you have pictured. Maybe you can find them on Ebay?

I understand your pain. I've played Flying V's for years and finding a case is hard enough, let alone a gig bag. Put out the extra money for the case. It's worth it. Bad things tend to happen to guitars in gig bags. So what if it's an extra trip? And, if they think you're a keyboard player and open the rectangular case and pull out an awesome Explorer, won't they be surprised? I guess I'm just used to making a few trips because I used to haul around three or four guitars, a half stack, and a wooden case with cables and pedals and such for years. I agree that it's a lot easier the other way but less bad things happen to guitars in cases than guitars in gig bags.

Archived