Gibson Brands Forums

2009 ES 335 Query

The Hierophant

Hi! Recently I saw an advert for a red ES 335 dot. The owner says it's from 2009 and he's had it from new, but it does not have a certificate of authenticity. The ad has since expired without selling, so I don't have the pictures to show Gibson, and thus they won't offer me any advice at all.

What I'd like to know is would a 2009 335 normally have a COA? I've had one before and that came with one, but I think that one was a later model. The guitar is still gettable, in spite of the expired advert.

Thanks in advance for your input, guys.

Guest Farnsbarns

Is it a reissue? Did they ever come with a COA?

I don't think it affects the value but at the moment the value is defined by what you're prepared to pay so if they need a sale maybe you can get $200 off anyway.

If you can otherwise guarantee the authenticity of the guitar, the COA is meaningless, and neither adds to nor subtracts from the value of the instrument. You aren't buying a COA: you're buying a guitar.

While I agree with you in theory, pragmatically speaking I disagree and here's why. Just like anything else you are buying or selling; the item in question is for all intents and purposes worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. That being said, if someone is willing to a pay a premium for a COA for whatever reason, then it is not meaningless.

Also, as a buyer if I'm choosing from two guitars and between the two all things are equal, I would choose the one with the COA over the one that does not.

Archived