Gibson Brands Forums

Need advice on a new ES-335 Setup

mpapahronis

Hi, all. Newbie here. Lifelong drummer converted recently to the cooler instrument (guitar) :). First, let me express thanks to all you involved forum members for having such a great place to go for help.

Need advice: I recently took delivery of a new Epi ES-335 pro, red, coil splits, etc. beautiful and sounds pretty good. Bought on MF for $379 on sale.

After 2 weeks of owning it, I get a high e string fret buzz on what seems like fret #1, and just, just barely. Otherwise I love the action and setup.

Question is, do I (1) send back, (2) take to a local shop for a setup, or (3) make a minor adjustment myself? (I build cigar box guitars so am somewhat comfortable with minor adjustments-given proper basic guidance from great folks like you all).

If self-adjusting, could I just try to raise the thumb screw on the high-e string side of the tune-o-magic bridge? Seems to need to come up only a hair.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Mike

Arlington Heights IL (near Chicago)

Sounds like it needs some minor adjustments. No need to send it back . Most if not all new guitars will benefit from a good setup. Local tech should be able to do it for 30-50 bucks maybe less. With a little research and some tools you can do your own setups with some practice. Make sure the neck is in proper adjustment before messing around elsewhere.

Sounds like it needs some minor adjustments. No need to send it back . Most if not all new guitars will benefit from a good setup. Local tech should be able to do it for 30-50 bucks maybe less. With a little research and some tools you can do your own setups with some practice. Make sure the neck is in proper adjustment before messing around elsewhere.

That's great. I'm perfectly fine with not expecting a perfect setup out of the box, especially at the price. Shipping is not easy on stringed instruments I'm sure. As I'm not comfortable with neck adjustments (yet) I think I'll hit up a local tech to get it sorted out. Thanks!!

That's great. I'm perfectly fine with not expecting a perfect setup out of the box, especially at the price. Shipping is not easy on stringed instruments I'm sure. As I'm not comfortable with neck adjustments (yet) I think I'll hit up a local tech to get it sorted out. Thanks!!

Dan Erlewine’s book “how to make your electric guitar play great!” Is a good starting point....he has great vids as well. Available at stewMac..

Neck adjustments are not difficult but best to understand what’s going on before you crank on the rod.....seriously never do that. ;)

Dan Erlewine’s book “how to make your electric guitar play great!” Is a good starting point....he has great vids as well. Available at stewMac..

Neck adjustments are not difficult but best to understand what’s going on before you crank on the rod.....seriously never do that. ;)

Thanks for the recommendation! Yep, I won't touch that truss rod.....

Hey, I'm from Brookfield by the way, I know of a few people here in the near west suburbs and some techs in the city I have used if you need help finding someone good. Send me a PM if you're interested.

Enjoy the guitar, one of these days I'm going to get a 335.

Hi, all. Newbie here. Lifelong drummer converted recently to the cooler instrument (guitar) :). First, let me express thanks to all you involved forum members for having such a great place to go for help.

Need advice: I recently took delivery of a new Epi ES-335 pro, red, coil splits, etc. beautiful and sounds pretty good. Bought on MF for $379 on sale.

After 2 weeks of owning it, I get a high e string fret buzz on what seems like fret #1, and just, just barely. Otherwise I love the action and setup.

Question is, do I (1) send back, (2) take to a local shop for a setup, or (3) make a minor adjustment myself? (I build cigar box guitars so am somewhat comfortable with minor adjustments-given proper basic guidance from great folks like you all).

If self-adjusting, could I just try to raise the thumb screw on the high-e string side of the tune-o-magic bridge? Seems to need to come up only a hair.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Mike

Arlington Heights IL (near Chicago)

Usually if you are getting fret buzz when you play the strings open (un-fretted), this indicates a nut slot that is cut too deep. Either you have to build the nut slot up or replace the nut if this is the case. You can try to compensate by raising the bridge in your case, but like I said, your description seems indicative of a poorly cut nut slot. Raising the bridge is not the proper way to handle this in all reality. I would take it in for evaluation with this nut issue being kept in mind. It is possible your first fret is a high fret... It could be a multitude of things, so if you aren't familiar with how to "tech" a guitar well, take it to professional or return it if it frustrates you. I know a fret buzz would bother me immensely! This situation would be handled by me immediately.

I'm a big fan of taking all my new guitars for a "pro" setup during the "warranty" period Number one, they dial it in. Number two, they look for "down the road warranty issues" that I may/may not be smart enough to see. Either way, it's $$ well spent. I get a great playing guitar and peace of mind. As always, YMMV, and after the first time, Dan Erlewine's book is invaluable.

Archived