Gibson Brands Forums

Headstock Change

NightTrain622

I think a lot of people will agree that the default Epiphone head stock is quite ugly, they have a weird shape and aren't as simple and cool looking as lets say a Gibson head stock; simple, strong, elegant. Epiphone has had the same head stock shape since the early 60's, then it was acceptable and fashionable but we're talking about today. I believe this headstock deserves to be updated to give it a simpler and sleeker look but still an elegant look to it.

• Upvote 1

I think a lot of people will agree that the default Epiphone head stock is quite ugly, they have a weird shape and aren't as simple and cool looking as lets say a Gibson head stock; simple, strong, elegant. Epiphone has had the same head stock shape since the early 60's, then it was acceptable and fashionable but we're talking about today. I believe this headstock deserves to be updated to give it a simpler and sleeker look but still an elegant look to it.

Epiphone had as you say simpler/sleeker headstocks in the 60's too.

zQlAGsc.jpg

• Upvote 1

If the size, shape, or whatever about the headstock is all you're concerned about in a particular guitars "abilities" then you get what you deserve. For myself, what a guitar can do is far more important than the shape on the "headstock". But again, that's just me.

• Upvote 2

I can completely agree but wouldn’t you like to have guitar that sounds great but looks great too

??? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Again, if the shape of the headstock turns you off, well...I guess I'm just not that picky...

• Upvote 1

I think a lot of people will agree that the default Epiphone head stock is quite ugly, they have a weird shape and aren't as simple and cool looking as lets say a Gibson head stock; simple, strong, elegant.

No, I think you are wrong. A lot of people would not agree that it is "quite ugly". Maybe they might prefer something else. But quite ugly? No.

"Weird shape" and "cool looking" are terms that are highly subjective to each individual. I'm pretty sure we each have our own idea of what these terms mean.

I have never understood how anyone can get worked up about the Epi head stock.

I just don't care at all what a head stock looks like. When I play, I am not looking at the head stock.

• Upvote 3

A "lot of people"?

Evidence?

The poll thus far suggests otherwise.

I think the Epiphone headstock, like Gibson, PRS, D'Angelico and others announces the guitar. There is no way it should ever be changed.

Modifying an existing headstock would be time-consuming and likely would only even look good if you had a professional woodworker do it. It would be costly, do nothing for the guitar's function, and would radically reduce its resale value.

If it bothers you that much aesthetically, sell the guitar and get something you like better. Cutting down the headstock on an Epi is a money-losing proposition no matter how you go about it.

I've always preferred the Gibson headstock, on Epi guitars that are of Gibson designs. Les Paul, SG, 335, etc. Like the ones

for the "Japanese Only" market! I'd like to see Epiphone do that, on all those (Gibson) clone models. The Epiphone original

designs, should retain the Epi headstock, be it the extended "hourglass" or the clipped cornered "Jazz Box" verion(s).

The exception, for me, would be on the Sheraton. I love the old "Kalamazoo" era headstock, as opposed to the clipped corner

version they're using now...which, to ME, is too large for the Thin-line Sheraton body. To me, it looks out of proportion.

But, that's just ME. [tongue][biggrin]

CB

• Upvote 2

• 4 months later...

I like the Epi headstock on my LP standard a lot. No really, I do [smile]. To me it's got a cool vintage thing about it. And I like how it's oversized. It makes the guitar look laid back. I agree with the quote at the top of the thread that said let an Epiphone be an Epiphone. Epiphones are pretty damn cool. 'Scuze my French [smile].

I own two 1950s Epis and never really noticed the headstocks so I guess they do not bother me. Both are acoustic guitars though. For me I guess it comes down to whether you see the feature as having a sonic payoff or as just aesthetics. I had always heard that back in the day Epiphone went with the larger headstock to add mass to the neck of their archtops which in theory increased sustain. Kind of like the Fender Fat Finger. So I guess the question is, assuming it did enhance the sound in its day, is it still necessary today or, if not, do you keep the headstocks because of tradition.

Edited by zombywoof
  • Upvote 1