Gibson Brands Forums

Woo hoo just got my first real Gibson (J100 walnut)

Mikeypfc23

Well, after 35 years of playing, I've at last invested my first Gibson (J100 walnut) I've had plenty of Epi's over the years, but thought it was time to treat myself. Very happy with the quality of finish, playability and sound (acoustically and plugged in.) Just one small gripe. Why oh why Gibson did you not install a strap button on the neck!!! And I bet if I fit one myself, I'll be in breach of the warranty!!! Anyone had experience of this?

They don’t fit them because if you don’t want one you can’t undo it

It’s an easy thing to do

And it shouldn’t effect warranty , if it’s properly installed

Thanks for that. I can tackle the job myself but would I be better off taking it to an authorised Gibson dealer do you think?

Congrats on your new walnut J-100.

Adding a strap button won’t effect the warranty. But if the the guitar is damaged from the installation the warranty won’t cover the damage.

If you’re comfortable with that and your skill level, DIY. If not have a shop/tech do it for you.

congrats on the guitar. if they put the button on no one would like the placement. it would be nice if they put a button the the swag packet though.

Agree for the placement, it probably is the main reason.

And it's a nice idea, they should include this strap button in the package, with a design that suits the guitar (gold, silver or whatever)...

Well, after 35 years of playing, I've at last invested my first Gibson (J100 walnut) I've had plenty of Epi's over the years, but thought it was time to treat myself. Very happy with the quality of finish, playability and sound (acoustically and plugged in.) Just one small gripe. Why oh why Gibson did you not install a strap button on the neck!!! And I bet if I fit one myself, I'll be in breach of the warranty!!! Anyone had experience of this?

Pics or didnt happen [thumbup][laugh]

Congrats on the new guitar. I prefer to let an experienced tech drill holes in my guitars but if your comfortable with it then go ahead. New Gibson's are coming from the factory with strap buttons added now:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gibson-2018-j-45-standard-acoustic-electric-guitar?rNtt=Gibson%20j-45&index=13

They even put it in a decent spot.

Aaaaaaarrrggh .....

I can no longer look forward to threads asking "Why doesn't Gibson Acoustic put strap buttons on their heels?"

The end of an era. I'll no longer be able to add my two cents. Progressive Marketing is making me a dinosaur in my own time.

BUT Wait ...

... When one door closes, another window opens -

N O W we can look forward to posts "Why did Gibson Acoustic place a strap button on my new guitar's heel? "

PLUS ... we can look forward to "Why didn't Gibson put the heel button on the flat side of the heel?"

Oh, the joy !

Aaaaaaarrrggh .....

I can no longer look forward to threads asking "Why doesn't Gibson Acoustic put strap buttons on their heels?"

The end of an era. I'll no longer be able to add my two cents. Progressive Marketing is making me a dinosaur in my own time.

BUT Wait ...

... When one door closes, another window opens -

N O W we can look forward to posts "Why did Gibson Acoustic place a strap button on my new guitar's heel? "

PLUS ... we can look forward to "Why didn't Gibson put the heel button on the flat side of the heel?"

Oh, the joy !

Yea but think about the good. Soon to come "Incredible J-45 Limited Edition, the Workhorse with strap button on flat side of the neck !" (price +40% vs standard?).

Archived