Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson USA sub-forums

brad1

Is it just my computer, or have the Les Paul and SG forums been merged together in the Gibson USA forum?

I don't see them any more.

Yep, some tweaks are being made, all of the USA and Custom sub-forums have been merged under the main headings.

I can only imagine that some of the sub forums arnt that busy.. I guess by merging them the posts that don't get many answers may get some more?

Like last night I spoke to someone on the Gibson Gear page.. I doubt he will get any other responses now his thread is not on the home page any more.

I just went to open one of my bookmarked pages, which was originally the archtops forum. I think the name was changed several years ago to the ES forum or something simiilar. Anyway, it appears to be gone now. Were all of those threads deleted, or moved...?

I just went to open one of my bookmarked pages, which was originally the archtops forum. I think the name was changed several years ago to the ES forum or something simiilar. Anyway, it appears to be gone now. Were all of those threads deleted, or moved...?

I think they are all just merged into the USA soup

I think they are all just merged into the USA soup

Well, here's one example of a thread that used to be located in the Archtops forum (or ES, or whatever they had changed the name to several years ago), which is now located in the "Gibson Custom" forum (not the USA forum): http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/139886-es-125-pickups-and-neck-profile/

That thread probably belongs in the Vintage forum (and maybe could have been posted there originally), but moving it to "Custom"?

As a general rule I dislike being negative in life but the newly re-(dis?)organised Gibson USA sub-forum is so cluttered up with stuff of absolutely no interest to me whatsoever - and those subjects that are of interest are now so randomly dispersed throughout the first few pages - that I think I will pretty much quit visiting that place altogether as of now.

Not a change for the better (IMO). The Polar opposite, actually.

I see some have already voiced their concerns and displeasure over the ensuing mess these changes have incurred.

And if I - and others who might share the same viewpoint as me - stop visiting that place then the outlook for the forum as an ongoing entity isn't looking too rosy.

Pip.

Guest Farnsbarns

This is what happens when a person with no knowledge whatsoever about information architecture, UGC habits or user interaction starts making decisions about a forum.

They somehow convince themselves that it matters when a sub-forum is quiet so they combine it with another, or four more, ruin them all and centralise activity in the lounge even more.

As Ian said no-one likes change, and I agree with Pip.

I used to check the Lounge, then LP section, then Custom and lastly Archtop as I own guitars in those categories. I liked to see new guitars similar to mine, and learn about new models and occasionally help someone else with a question that I knew the answer to. I never owned a Firebird or a V so didn't have too much interest in them, and could offer no advice. Similarly it has been a long time since I had an SG so I would usually skip that section.

Now, as mentioned, I would need to sift through a lot of posts that don't interest me to perhaps find one that does. Like Steve said I went to look for a specific guitar someone said they would put in Trading Post/Marketplace, and the entire category was gone. [thumbdn]

I did notice over the past few months that there were few new posts in the Custom and Archtop sections, but I don't see any advantage or cost saving in combining them all together??

We'll see how it goes. [confused]

Maybe they can put it back to the way it was.

I like to check for Firebird posts but I'm not going to wade through all of the SG and Les Paul stuff to see if there are any there.

Nothing against SGs or Les Pauls, by the way, it's just that they'll swamp everything else due to their popularity.

Maybe they can put it back to the way it was.

I like to check for Firebird posts but I'm not going to wade through all of the SG and Les Paul stuff to see if there are any there.

Nothing against SGs or Les Pauls, by the way, it's just that they'll swamp everything else due to their popularity.

Really have to agree. I go in for the basses. It's bad enough a Gibson Bass is looked upon as a company's inferior instrument. But then bury it away in where ever it winds up.

Archived