Gibson Brands Forums

GC Gibsons

uncle fester

Hi folks,

I'm looking for opinions on Hummingbirds from GC from folks who have opinions on Gibsons.

I've got an old Guild D25 dreadnaught i've been playing for 18 yrs, finally need something w/ a cutout. I have an opportunity to drop about $3k and want to end up with something i love. i've played a bunch of different guitars (J45s, Martin D28s, D16, etc... ) and really like the hummingbirds from GC (mahogany body)... as a bonus i had never thought i'd be even able to consider one of these - and super psyched to be able to get one. unfortuntely, googling everything i can about them, have heard opinions (on this forum and elsewhere) - where the GC hummingbirds aren't real.

Dropping this type of coin i want to make sure i end up with something i love and am proud of, (not something that is beautiful - but there's a little something that taints it in my mind).

Any comments on Hummingbirds from GC, maybe a different model to try that would be considered more authentic and recommendations on where else maybe to look? ...or maybe i should just get over myself and be psyched with what i get... There's stuff on eBay - but i really want to be able to play first.

The only thing I’ve heard along the lines of not-true Hummingbirds were regarding the Hummingbird Pro that was made for Guitar Center. Here is a thread on the subject: http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/68098-gibson-hummingbird-vs-hummingbird-pro/

The HB Standard is the bird with the iconic look and sound. It would be a shame to compromise any part of that for a cutaway, imho. Interesting that you’ve made it 18 years playing and feel that you need a cutaway now; I spend a good deal of time playing a 12 fret guitar, and yes, it does require a little more arch of the left hand to play some shapes way up the neck, but it’s really not that big of a thing- I actually like the 12 frets for fingerstyle type stuff.

Thanks for the reply and link to the thread... seems to be what i was thinking, the h bird pro from GC, to me is a great guitar at a great value... (thinking $3k is a great value) - but it's not a real bird. i do believe it's still a v. nice guitar though - but does have a big box stigma.

I wont argue the cutaway - it's the reason i'm getting a new guitar. but now my thought is if i want something more authentic - ish, i might want to look at the j45, but the only place i can try those are GC as well. guess i've got to do a little more side by side testing and see where the sound takes me, vs ability to own an icon?

if you had $3k to burn on a dreadnaught cut-away - what would you look for?

Thanks for the reply and link to the thread... seems to be what i was thinking, the h bird pro from GC, to me is a great guitar at a great value... (thinking $3k is a great value) - but it's not a real bird. i do believe it's still a v. nice guitar though - but does have a big box stigma.

I wont argue the cutaway - it's the reason i'm getting a new guitar. but now my thought is if i want something more authentic - ish, i might want to look at the j45, but the only place i can try those are GC as well. guess i've got to do a little more side by side testing and see where the sound takes me, vs ability to own an icon?

I had an HB Pro and it was a very well made guitar and gave that Gibson sound but it was not a Hummingbird. Two things I didn’t like about it was the long scale and the narrow nut. The resale is not very good on these models. You should be able to pickup one in new condition for less than 1300.

If a guitar is made by Gibson and designated by them a Hummingbird how can it not be real? It may not be a certain model in the traditional sense - such as a J-45 natural - but it is their company and they can call the guitar whatever they want.

This subject has come up here from time to time. I think the link 62Burst provided above will answer your question.

Not familiar with the big box stigma- what is it?

3K12h67.png?6

I, of course, own a CF-100E. It is only one of two flattop cutaways I have ever wanted (the other is a Kay K-27). If you are talking about a 1950s guitar, it might be tough to find one in really nice condition and with no issues in the $3K range. I know that Gibson re-issued these a year or two back. While I believe they are no longer in the lineup, one of the reissues used would run you about 1/2 of what a 1950s guitar would set you back.

Not familiar with the big box stigma- what is it?

Hi - Big box is just the type of store it's purchased from. Always like to support the local shops... but finding selections of things like this doesn't seem easy

Oh, that big box stigma. ‘Thought you meant something else

zm9ZGun.png?2

There are 1 or 2 1950's CF-100's on Reverb in the $3k range; a reissue, as well, for much less. Also- good recall by Zombywoof of the early 90's Gibson Starburst cutaway model; check out YouTube for a look https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=gibson+starburst

I'm very much a fan of the square body - so prejudiced against the starburst... but i'm wondering if i'm limiting my options. Also - never played a C100 - but I'll see what i can do to find one to try out. Definitely has the cool factor - If it has play-ability and sounds the bomb - i'll sell one of the kids to make up the difference and go whole hog (humor - kids not actually for sale).

man looking at guitars is fun - and thanks for all the input.

I, of course, own a CF-100E. It is only one of two flattop cutaways I have ever wanted (the other is a Kay K-27). If you are talking about a 1950s guitar, it might be tough to find one in really nice condition and with no issues in the $3K range. I know that Gibson re-issued these a year or two back. While I believe they are no longer in the lineup, one of the reissues used would run you about 1/2 of what a 1950s guitar would set you back.

how do you like the playability of the cf -100e? Is it more like butter - or do you feel like you're wrestling with it.

My final thoughts - and i'll leave everyone be, but thanks to all for the input. With all the feedback, I've decided 1 guitar is not enough, and truly - if this is to celebrate myself, i should get 4.

*Hummingbird Pro Cutaway (because i thought it was really nice)

*Hummingbird (no cutaway, original design - because that is what it should be... see if it will replace my guild d25)

*C100 for cool factor and to see if it replaces the H Bird Pro Cutaway in the Line Up

*Superbird (because i have not done it justice in the search, and to see if it earns a place in the line up)

----

*and then if i was being selfish - a J45 to see if it earns a place in the line up.

I'll do this and report back in 2 yr increments to see how the line up evolves.... and then i woke up ; )

Hi folks,

I'm looking for opinions on Hummingbirds from GC from folks who have opinions on Gibsons.

I've got an old Guild D25 dreadnaught i've been playing for 18 yrs, finally need something w/ a cutout. I have an opportunity to drop about $3k and want to end up with something i love. i've played a bunch of different guitars (J45s, Martin D28s, D16, etc... ) and really like the hummingbirds from GC (mahogany body)... as a bonus i had never thought i'd be even able to consider one of these - and super psyched to be able to get one. unfortuntely, googling everything i can about them, have heard opinions (on this forum and elsewhere) - where the GC hummingbirds aren't real.

Dropping this type of coin i want to make sure i end up with something i love and am proud of, (not something that is beautiful - but there's a little something that taints it in my mind).

Any comments on Hummingbirds from GC, maybe a different model to try that would be considered more authentic and recommendations on where else maybe to look? ...or maybe i should just get over myself and be psyched with what i get... There's stuff on eBay - but i really want to be able to play first.

Ok if you are dead set on a cutaway you really should look at the songwriter series guitars. They are all Gibson and they sound great. However I would suggest giving the j-45 a second look. It really is the most iconic guitar in the gibby lineup. You will get a bit more oompf out of any gibson you get without a cutaway. The advanced jumbos are also amazing sounding instruments. Just do yourself a favour. DON,T RUSH! Take your time and try 100 guitars both Gibson and Martins. like the new d-18 are killer sounding instruments. The world is yours have fun!

Ok if you are dead set on a cutaway you really should look at the songwriter series guitars. They are all Gibson and they sound great. However I would suggest giving the j-45 a second look. It really is the most iconic guitar in the gibby lineup. You will get a bit more oompf out of any gibson you get without a cutaway. The advanced jumbos are also amazing sounding instruments. Just do yourself a favour. DON,T RUSH! Take your time and try 100 guitars both Gibson and Martins. like the new d-18 are killer sounding instruments. The world is yours have fun!

A few folks have recommended the songwriter. I have not tried any (seen any in any stores) but everything I read, at least for the newer models have that auto tuning machine... probably awesome, but too complicated in my mind. If something would fail on the guitar in 50 yrs... i would expect it would be that. Maybe i should try to find a vintage one, do those come in cut-away versions?

O.k. mayby from a gibson snobbery point of you (talking bout myself again) the Hummingbird pro seems to be all wrong.

But from what you said in the OP, it seems like its the right guitar for you. You walked into GC, tried out several guitars, and without any prejudice you seem to like this one best.

Do you really need another argument for buying/not buying it? I don't think so.

Actually, I think the Hbird pro is pretty similar to the songwriter, why searching one, because its name seems to make much sense? its all about tone, feel and playability! If the Hbird pro suits your requirements, go for it!

Thanks and agreed. If i was just a player - the h-Bird pro makes sense to me, worked best to me comparing several, but without any knowledge of the history. Unfortunately I'm also a collector... very small collector - but whatever i get i want the Gibson snobbery crew behind me as well (not because i need their buy in, but because i know i'll feel the same way, and no matter how much i love the guitar - will still have that same thought in the back of my mind).

So from a pure Gibson standpoint (my opinion only, with only about a week's worth of web crawling education), the HB pro doesn't make sense to me - it's a great marketing / production deal making a really good guitar for a great price to be available to more people - but i feel at the expense of the small shop. GC is able to bring it to the masses, but i can't find a local shop who speaks good of Gibson (another issue)

My compromise - i'm going to hunt down a few J45 cutaways (which i'm concerned has the same stigma as the h-bird pro), and songwriters... and see where i land.

If i'm ever able to get a regular dread w/o the cutaway again - will definitely look for the h - bird.

Archived