Gibson Brands Forums

Nearly got a Bird

martcol

Today I went to a guitar shop tonlooka at Gibson Acoustic 2018 Limited Edition Hummingbird Vintage, Heritage Cherry Thin Finish VOS. I have been dreaming about the hummingbird for years and more actively for about 8 months. I played the guitar and thought it looked pretty but poorly finished and sounded OK. So sitting next to it was a Gibson Acoustic 2018 SJ-200 Standard, Vintage Sunburst so I picked it up and had a go. I was knocked out!

It felt lovely to hold and sounded so nice. I thought it gave a clear, crisp, sound across the range and was very forgiving to play. We fell in love and I took her home. I am thrilled.

Congrats [thumbup] on the new J200 mate, too bad you got to try a dog Hummingbird. Dead sounding strings due to over humidity can sound bad and put off a sale.

Most if not all Dealers/Music store do not have the proper humidification specially to acoustics that are prone to cracking right in the middle top due to over and under temperature treatment.

Make sure you have a sound hole humidification system or humidifier in the room if you have all season weather like we have up here north of Seattle.

It's been a hit and miss with Gibson lately. [thumbdn]

Cheers!

Yeah it's the last thing really you want to do when looking out for a new toy.

But some do risk it, as long as there is a guarantee return money back it's fine, just takes time and a little hassle trying to pack it all up back again to send back after. Oh well! [thumbup] Life is good that way as opposed to others who cannot see/play as there is no chance or offerings like that in certain countries.

Peace! [thumbup]

Intriguing to make that kind of last minute turn - get lifted when doin' it, , , and staying there.

The Board should enjoy a few pictures (including case).

200's are majestic - can't imagine a world without them.

Welcome - congratulations ๏ have fun here

It took me some years to be able to score an SJ200, I've had one for 2 years this coming march. It is --Awesome--!

what pickup is in yours? is it the Anthem? I had to swap the one in mine out the anthem made too much noise for my ears (pre-amp module rattled, quite a lot.. it drove me whacko)

J-200s' are quite hit and miss, Hummingbirds Vintage are consistently stellar. But I reckon between these two options, a great sounding J-200 will always beat out a Hummingbird. Not by much but i find they have more versatility and range.

The Gibson that has been in the house as long as anyone can recall is a 1960 J-200. You could not pry that guitar loose from my wife's hands.

I'm sure I can't be the only member who would like to see a little video performance.

Predict it is absolutely impossible.

Still. .

Never even played a j200 or 180 or anything that shape

Scared to in case I like it , there’s no way I could afford one

Although the shape is pretty similar, there's a pronounced difference between the 200 and 185 size guitars. If you got caught up in that area, you just might want one of each. On the other hand, I've owned several J-200's and never found 'the one', but the J-185 has a permanent home in my accumulation.

Archived