Gibson Brands Forums

Helping dating 2 old lg guitars

Someone knew I was a guitar geek and gave me 2 old LG'so that hung on grand mother's wall for decades. Turns out they are Gibson LG's. Lucky me.

The LG-0 had a plastic bridge that was pulling up badly.

The LG-1 has glue failure on the internal bracing. Awesome projects for a finish carpenter like me.

The LG-1 has #s on the interior neck block

2648, then 2 numbers may be blocked out, same ink, then 13 written in red pen

The LG-0 is on headstock 423058.

I have been searching and am more confused. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Someone knew I was a guitar geek and gave me 2 old LG'so that hung on grand mother's wall for decades. Turns out they are Gibson LG's. Lucky me.

The LG-0 had a plastic bridge that was pulling up badly.

The LG-1 has glue failure on the internal bracing. Awesome projects for a finish carpenter like me.

The LG-1 has #s on the interior neck block

2648, then 2 numbers may be blocked out, same ink, then 13 written in red pen

The LG-0 is on headstock 423058.

I have been searching and am more confused. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

There may be newer (updated) info out there (Joe Spann's book, for example), but you can have a look here: http://www.guitarhq.com/gibson.html#serial

It looks like the LG-1 could be 1944, with the red pencil marking.

The LG-O looks like it could be 1966.

Thank you for reply Jim. I failed to mention the headstock is block print (learned about that last night). That puts it around '48 or later if I am correct. Great place to research further. Thanks for the link.

I replaced the LG-0 bridge. I fear it needs a neck reset. The LG-1 is an old girl that needs some tlc. Can't wait to get her to playability.

Tom

You're correct about the "modern" Gibson headstock logo beginning around '48, Tom. I just realized that you said "red pen", not "red pencil" for that "13". The red pencil was used during the war (WWII) years. Looking at the FON list again, it would appear that your LG-1 may date to 1949 (2000's numerical range).

Best of luck with those old Gibsons. Glad they found your caring hands.

Archived