• +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

hello all..gibson custom shop?

#1 User is offline   kolhauszer 

• Group: All Access

Posted 04 December 2017 - 09:58 PM

hi all
your advice was awesome the first time on..now im here asking for help once again for advice on you pros...need it bigtime

this les paul custom shop with all the candy?..please tell me if she is w0rthy of that price..i am dont now with guitars..on my facebook youd see 34 that ive had in the last 5 years alone and i am done..all i want now is to dedicate myself to one woman

is she worthy?

https://www.kijiji.c...shop/1315095103

#2 User is offline   kolhauszer 

Posted 04 December 2017 - 09:58 PM

hi all
your advice was awesome the first time on..now im here asking for help once again for advice on you pros...need it bigtime

this les paul custom shop with all the candy?..please tell me if she is w0rthy of that price..i am done now with guitars..on my facebook youd see 34 that ive had in the last 5 years alone and i am done..all i want now is to dedicate myself to one woman

is she worthy?

#3 User is offline   Allenjason95 

• Advanced Member

Posted 04 December 2017 - 10:42 PM

View Postkolhauszer, on 04 December 2017 - 09:58 PM, said:

hi all

this les paul custom shop with all the candy?..please tell me if she is w0rthy of that price..i am done now with guitars..on my facebook youd see 34 that ive had in the last 5 years alone and i am done..all i want now is to dedicate myself to one woman

is she worthy?

No way in hell would I pay $4,200 for a guitar (unless I knew I could flip it for more) and that paint job belongs on a PRS, not a LP IMO. I think it's fugly. So if you're asking opinions, mine is a hard no.

#4 User is offline   kolhauszer 

Posted 04 December 2017 - 10:47 PM

i love that answer bro..funny you should mention prs,,im considering trading her for 2 vintage custom prs..a 24 and a 22,,but aside from the flipping aspect however?..im assuming thaT 4200 would still be unworthy,,he was asking 5200..and ive seen a few going for that price but that is far from actual knowledge on knwoing if she is worthy of that price,,which is why im here,,would this be a great guitar to trade for or purchase if this was going to be kept forever

#5 User is offline   krock 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationBedfordshire, UK

Posted 05 December 2017 - 03:50 AM

View Postkolhauszer, on 04 December 2017 - 10:47 PM, said:

would this be a great guitar to trade for or purchase if this was going to be kept forever

Remember that an investment can go up or down. I personally would only invest in something tangible (be it a classic car, motorbike, guitar, whatever) if I would still be happy with that purchase if it's value declined in the long term. In other words you need to enjoy owning it to justify its purchase
Michael Kelly Patriot Limited Spalted | Custom Les Paul DC
Vox Ac4hw | Blackheart Handsome Devil Head & Cab

#6 User is offline   Pin 

• Thread Killer
  • LocationSouthend, Essex

Posted 05 December 2017 - 04:07 AM

For that money I'd want an ebony fingerboard and abalone inlays. I don't like the colour either but then I'm a hardfast sunburst fan.
GUITARS: 1978 Gibson Les Paul 25 / 50; Gibson ES345 1959 Reissue; 1974 Yamaha AE12 jazz box; Yamaha SG2000: Fender "Roland Ready" Strat; Epiphone Les Paul '56; Epiphone SG400; HK Steinberger copy; Cimar Classical.
AMPS & EFFECTS: Various effects, synths and Mesa Maverick 1 x 12.

#7 User is offline   Farnsbarns 

• Antelope
  • LocationGodstone, Surrey, England

Posted 05 December 2017 - 04:16 AM

No one can answer this without picking it up and playing it.

Some info...

AAAA is not the highest grading Gibson have ever offered.

That said, grading is meaningless arbitrary numbers of As with no real definition.

I also hate the colour.

I don't think any LP has had abalone inlays, possibly a few rarities (thinking supreme).

Ignore rarity/investment etc. It's a used guitar. Pay what you're willing to pay HAVING PLAYED IT.
I'm not drunk, you're blurry.

Farns

#8 User is offline   pippy 

• LocationLondon, U.K.

Posted 05 December 2017 - 04:52 AM

IMO nowhere near worth the asking price.
If I was thinking about spending that amount of money I would, without question, get a used R4 / R6 / R7 / R8 / R9 / R0.
It's not even a close call.
An RI will probably hold value much better as well if that's a consideration.

Pip.

#9 User is offline   FZ Fan 

• Nanook Rubs It
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 05 December 2017 - 05:21 AM

If you are willing to pay $4200 then it is worth it for you. My LP cost $1400.
1995 - Fender American Standard Jazz Bass with Rio Grande Pickups and a Warmoth Jazz Bass Neck
1997 - Fender American Standard Tele with Rio Grande Pickups
2000 - Gibson SG Special
2003 - Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat with Rio Grande Pickups and a Warmoth Strat Neck
2009 - Gibson BB King "Lucille" Signature Model
2009 - Kala KA-T Tenor Ukulele
2011 - Martin D-28

2014 - Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II with Lindy Fralin Pure PAF's
2014 - Martin D-18

Fender Deville 60 Watt Combo Guitar Amp

Fender Blues Jr. 15 Watt Como Guitar Amp with a Weber Speaker
Mesa Transatlantc TA-15 Head 5W/15W/25W Switchable
Egnater Tweaker 40 Watt Combo Guitar Amp (On Loan To My Son)

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Extension Cab with a Weber Speaker
Acoustic B100 Amp 100 Watt Bass Combo Amp
Orange CrushPiX CRL20 20 Watt Guitar Amp

#10 User is offline   SmokeyGhost 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationCanberra Region, Australia

Posted 05 December 2017 - 05:24 AM

oh boy, nice guitar but $4,200?

Would I buy for that price? Yes, if I didn't care about money, had plenty to throw around and I couldn't resist. Otherwise, no.

Really depends on where your heart is for it. Only you know that.

#11 User is offline   merciful-evans 

• I doubt I'm entitled to a title
  • LocationPortsmouth UK

Posted 05 December 2017 - 06:43 AM

No one has encouraged you to go with it, but the value you place on it is the only thing that matters.

I'm also not fond of the colour and high flame, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Even so, if it really handled and sounded wonderful, I would likely forgive its looks and still bring it home knowing me.
Hagstrom Deuce / Fylde Acoustic / Variax Standard / Gibson ES-339 / Gibson LP Less+ / PRS SE Custom24 / Hofner HCT-J17 / Camps Spanish / Jackson Soloist / Rickenbacker 650 /Squier Esprit
Miele S5 Power 2200w Vacuum Cleaner
Makita BO3710 Finishing Sander
Verdict 6" vernier scale calipers
Whittard of Chelsea Florence blue teapot
Spear & Jackson 1712PF/INS12 trenching fork

Posted Image put the kettle on
I sometimes think; therefore I am intermittent
my band BLOWN OUT

#12 User is offline   Karloff 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 05 December 2017 - 07:01 AM

I'd be more interested to see a pic of your woman . just sayin' ...
" Early morning sunshine, tells me all I need to know "

Posted Image

#13 User is offline   pippy 

• LocationLondon, U.K.

Posted 05 December 2017 - 08:19 AM

View PostFarnsbarns, on 05 December 2017 - 05:04 AM, said:

Quite right Pip. I've edited my post...

Oh Yeah? Well, TWO can play at THAT game...
I've edited mine as well; so there!

Posted Image

Pip.

#14 User is offline   Farnsbarns 

• Antelope
  • LocationGodstone, Surrey, England

Posted 05 December 2017 - 08:46 AM

View Postpippy, on 05 December 2017 - 08:19 AM, said:

Oh Yeah? Well, TWO can play at THAT game...
I've edited mine as well; so there!

Posted Image

Pip.

Well, I've deleted my post refering to your post, neatly highlighting the confusion caused by allowing deletion. :D
I'm not drunk, you're blurry.

Farns

#15 User is offline   NighthawkChris 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationMetro Detroit, MI

Posted 05 December 2017 - 08:53 AM

In the US, the going rate for a LP Custom brand new is around $4k. Anything extra on that thing will add a few hundred/thousand depending on how much you want to spend for what you want. They are like pieces of art. Some are awesome to you, not so much to others. It's subjective. If you buy used, you pay half that or a little more than half. The guitar is going to drop significantly in value on the market, but having a guitar you like to play that inspires you is worth it in the end. So I would negotiate a used guitar like that. I'd say the owner should be looking around $3k because they can't warrant it and for that matter, the warranty is invalid being second generation owner. That person is most likely trying to get back their money as close to what they paid for it brand new, and it doesn't work like that on the used market. They will have to wait for a few decades to pass to possibly see a ROI if you must. By then, we are probably worm food... Bottom line, buy it if you must, but make sure it makes you feel good to make the purchase. Play it first and see if returns are possible.

Here's an example. I bought a LP Custom brand new from GC around $5.5k. I looked around the used market, and there were all sorts of uncertainties and risk I didn't want to take for spending $3k for the same guitar. So peace of mind, I decided to get new where the lacquer was flawless all around - how new I wanted something, haha! I'm happy with the guitar. Plays like butter! I debated to return it, but I loved it too much to get myself to return it. So, I'm stuck with it, but no regrets here. I have a killer LP Custom that I can put in my hands whenever I want.
- Vintage Sunburst 1993 Nighthawk SP3
- Ebony 1994 Nighthawk SP3
- Fireburst 1995 Nighthawk CST3
- Fireburst 1996 Nighthawk CST3
- Sapphire Blue 1996 Les Paul Studio Gem
- Translucent Amber 1996 Epiphone Nighthawk (MIK ST3 Replica)
- Fireburst 1997 Nighthawk ST3 w/ Floyd Rose
- Snow White 2006 Jackson Dinky DK2M (MIJ)
- Tri Burst 2015 Les Paul Custom

- Peavey 5150

#16 User is offline   pippy 

• LocationLondon, U.K.

Posted 05 December 2017 - 10:13 AM

View PostNighthawkChris, on 05 December 2017 - 08:53 AM, said:

In the US, the going rate for a LP Custom...

The guitar in the OP is not a LP Custom, Chris.
It's a LP Standard which was made by the Custom Shop division.

The confusion is all the fault of that toe-rag Farnsbarns (*).
Blame Him. He deserves it...

Posted Image

Pip.

(*) See post #14 (assuming he doesn't delete that one, too).

#17 User is offline   NighthawkChris 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationMetro Detroit, MI

Posted 05 December 2017 - 10:18 AM

View Postpippy, on 05 December 2017 - 10:13 AM, said:

The guitar in the OP is not a LP Custom, Chris.
It's a LP Standard which was made by the Custom Shop division.

The confusion is all the fault of Farnsbarns.
Blame Him. He deserves it...

Pip.

No, it's my mistake. I didn't look at ad too in depth and the headstock of that LP tells me that it is not a Custom. Nonetheless, I have at least contributed a small amount of information what you might expect when you start to spend over $4k USD... NO way I pay that much for a Standard made in recent years. Not because of quality and such, but because the cost doesn't warrant the value of the guitar - and it's used.
- Vintage Sunburst 1993 Nighthawk SP3
- Ebony 1994 Nighthawk SP3
- Fireburst 1995 Nighthawk CST3
- Fireburst 1996 Nighthawk CST3
- Sapphire Blue 1996 Les Paul Studio Gem
- Translucent Amber 1996 Epiphone Nighthawk (MIK ST3 Replica)
- Fireburst 1997 Nighthawk ST3 w/ Floyd Rose
- Snow White 2006 Jackson Dinky DK2M (MIJ)
- Tri Burst 2015 Les Paul Custom

- Peavey 5150

#18 User is offline   Allenjason95 

• Advanced Member

Posted 05 December 2017 - 10:33 AM

View PostNighthawkChris, on 05 December 2017 - 10:18 AM, said:

No, it's my mistake. I didn't look at ad too in depth and the headstock of that LP tells me that it is not a Custom. Nonetheless, I have at least contributed a small amount of information what you might expect when you start to spend over $4k USD... NO way I pay that much for a Standard made in recent years. Not because of quality and such, but because the cost doesn't warrant the value of the guitar - and it's used.

Yeah but you paid 5,500 for a Custom. I mean "cost doesn't warrant the value of the guitar"? I paid $2,200 for my Custom and it looked basically brand new when I got it.

Besides, with almost any new Gibson LP it's going to drop a huge amount after you buy it if you buy it new. If you're looking for something that "warrants the value of the guitar" 4K+ Gibson LP sure aren't it because the minute you take possession it depreciates a large amount.

You paid 5.5K for a Custom, good luck getting 3K back for it.

#19 User is offline   Allenjason95 

• Advanced Member

Posted 05 December 2017 - 10:33 AM

View PostNighthawkChris, on 05 December 2017 - 10:18 AM, said:

Yeah but you paid 5,500 for a Custom. I mean "cost doesn't warrant the value of the guitar"? I paid $2,200 for my Custom and it looked basically brand new when I got it.

Besides, with almost any new Gibson LP it's going to drop a huge amount after you buy it if you buy it new. If you're looking for something that "warrants the value of the guitar" 4K+ Gibson LP sure aren't it because the minute you take possession it depreciates a large amount.

You paid 5.5K for a Custom, good luck getting 3K back for it.

#20 User is offline   kolhauszer 

Posted 05 December 2017 - 11:31 AM

hello guys i wanted to take the time and thank you all individually by buying you all gibson guitars of your choosings as a thank you for taking your personal time to help me..sadly the japanese hotty took my lottery winnings last night after we made out ...it was a hell of a week though and well worthy of the 35 million that i scored,,damn it i still wish she was there with me at the time though,,oh well its 35 million well spent...lol..this being lied about...i do want to thank you all for the words and advice..

hi smokey..well to be honest it was going to be for a 2 prs custom 22 and 24 trade that i do not choose to have anymore,,but the value of the 2 prs comes to 4200.but no ill pass on the trade

hey merciful..yes i see that for certain.im glad i popped in here to ask advice im seeing that a guitar like this is far from worthy of the value even if it would be kept as a final guitar

nighthawk farns pippster..thank for your help as well..i was bombed like hiroshima when i read that she is NOT a true custom?..i have seen the booklet but im assuming now that there are differences between a custom and one made by custom shop?..peace out

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users