Gibson Brands Forums

hello all..gibson custom shop?

kolhauszer

hi all

your advice was awesome the first time on..now im here asking for help once again for advice on you pros...need it bigtime

this les paul custom shop with all the candy?..please tell me if she is w0rthy of that price..i am dont now with guitars..on my facebook youd see 34 that ive had in the last 5 years alone and i am done..all i want now is to dedicate myself to one woman

is she worthy?

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-guitar/ville-de-montreal/gibson-les-paul-standard-f-custom-shop/1315095103

hi all

your advice was awesome the first time on..now im here asking for help once again for advice on you pros...need it bigtime

this les paul custom shop with all the candy?..please tell me if she is w0rthy of that price..i am done now with guitars..on my facebook youd see 34 that ive had in the last 5 years alone and i am done..all i want now is to dedicate myself to one woman

is she worthy?

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-guitar/ville-de-montreal/gibson-les-paul-standard-f-custom-shop/1315095103

hi all

this les paul custom shop with all the candy?..please tell me if she is w0rthy of that price..i am done now with guitars..on my facebook youd see 34 that ive had in the last 5 years alone and i am done..all i want now is to dedicate myself to one woman

is she worthy?

No way in hell would I pay $4,200 for a guitar (unless I knew I could flip it for more) and that paint job belongs on a PRS, not a LP IMO. I think it's fugly. So if you're asking opinions, mine is a hard no.

i love that answer bro..funny you should mention prs,,im considering trading her for 2 vintage custom prs..a 24 and a 22,,but aside from the flipping aspect however?..im assuming thaT 4200 would still be unworthy,,he was asking 5200..and ive seen a few going for that price but that is far from actual knowledge on knwoing if she is worthy of that price,,which is why im here,,would this be a great guitar to trade for or purchase if this was going to be kept forever

would this be a great guitar to trade for or purchase if this was going to be kept forever

Remember that an investment can go up or down. I personally would only invest in something tangible (be it a classic car, motorbike, guitar, whatever) if I would still be happy with that purchase if it's value declined in the long term. In other words you need to enjoy owning it to justify its purchase

Guest Farnsbarns

No one can answer this without picking it up and playing it.

Some info...

AAAA is not the highest grading Gibson have ever offered.

That said, grading is meaningless arbitrary numbers of As with no real definition.

I also hate the colour.

I don't think any LP has had abalone inlays, possibly a few rarities (thinking supreme).

Ignore rarity/investment etc. It's a used guitar. Pay what you're willing to pay HAVING PLAYED IT.

IMO nowhere near worth the asking price.

If I was thinking about spending that amount of money I would, without question, get a used R4 / R6 / R7 / R8 / R9 / R0.

It's not even a close call.

An RI will probably hold value much better as well if that's a consideration.

Pip.

No one has encouraged you to go with it, but the value you place on it is the only thing that matters.

I'm also not fond of the colour and high flame, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Even so, if it really handled and sounded wonderful, I would likely forgive its looks and still bring it home knowing me.

Guest Farnsbarns

Oh Yeah? Well, TWO can play at THAT game...

I've edited mine as well; so there!

msp_biggrin.gif

Pip.

Well, I've deleted my post refering to your post, neatly highlighting the confusion caused by allowing deletion. :D

In the US, the going rate for a LP Custom...

The guitar in the OP is not a LP Custom, Chris.

It's a LP Standard which was made by the Custom Shop division.

The confusion is all the fault of that toe-rag Farnsbarns (*).

Blame Him. He deserves it...

msp_smile.gif

Pip.

(*) See post #14 (assuming he doesn't delete that one, too).

No, it's my mistake. I didn't look at ad too in depth and the headstock of that LP tells me that it is not a Custom. Nonetheless, I have at least contributed a small amount of information what you might expect when you start to spend over $4k USD... NO way I pay that much for a Standard made in recent years. Not because of quality and such, but because the cost doesn't warrant the value of the guitar - and it's used.

Yeah but you paid 5,500 for a Custom. I mean "cost doesn't warrant the value of the guitar"? I paid $2,200 for my Custom and it looked basically brand new when I got it.

Besides, with almost any new Gibson LP it's going to drop a huge amount after you buy it if you buy it new. If you're looking for something that "warrants the value of the guitar" 4K+ Gibson LP sure aren't it because the minute you take possession it depreciates a large amount.

You paid 5.5K for a Custom, good luck getting 3K back for it.

No, it's my mistake. I didn't look at ad too in depth and the headstock of that LP tells me that it is not a Custom. Nonetheless, I have at least contributed a small amount of information what you might expect when you start to spend over $4k USD... NO way I pay that much for a Standard made in recent years. Not because of quality and such, but because the cost doesn't warrant the value of the guitar - and it's used.

Yeah but you paid 5,500 for a Custom. I mean "cost doesn't warrant the value of the guitar"? I paid $2,200 for my Custom and it looked basically brand new when I got it.

Besides, with almost any new Gibson LP it's going to drop a huge amount after you buy it if you buy it new. If you're looking for something that "warrants the value of the guitar" 4K+ Gibson LP sure aren't it because the minute you take possession it depreciates a large amount.

You paid 5.5K for a Custom, good luck getting 3K back for it.

hello guys i wanted to take the time and thank you all individually by buying you all gibson guitars of your choosings as a thank you for taking your personal time to help me..sadly the japanese hotty took my lottery winnings last night after we made out ...it was a hell of a week though and well worthy of the 35 million that i scored,,damn it i still wish she was there with me at the time though,,oh well its 35 million well spent...lol..this being lied about...i do want to thank you all for the words and advice..

hi smokey..well to be honest it was going to be for a 2 prs custom 22 and 24 trade that i do not choose to have anymore,,but the value of the 2 prs comes to 4200.but no ill pass on the trade

hey merciful..yes i see that for certain.im glad i popped in here to ask advice im seeing that a guitar like this is far from worthy of the value even if it would be kept as a final guitar

nighthawk farns pippster..thank for your help as well..i was bombed like hiroshima when i read that she is NOT a true custom?..i have seen the booklet but im assuming now that there are differences between a custom and one made by custom shop?..peace out

...I was bombed like hiroshima when i read that she is NOT a true custom?...

Im assuming now that there are differences between a custom and one made by custom shop?...

Don't confuse 'Les Paul Custom' with 'Custom Shop Les Paul'...

Without going too much into history - nor semantics - the Les Paul Standard and Les Paul Custom were two models of guitar introduced in '52 and '54 respectively. They are quite similar instruments differing in a few relatively minor details. The LP Custom was always the higher-price instrument because it had extra 'bling' in comparison to the other.

The Custom Shop is where some models of LP are crafted - as opposed to the regular 'USA-Line' who handle the vast bulk of LP production. There should be a slightly higher attention to detail paid by the luthiers / craftsmen & craftswomen in the CS and these instruments should be built with slightly more 'finesse' or, if you like, individuality. All the re-issues and Collectors Choice instruments are made by the CS - as, slightly confusingly, are the current Les Paul Custom guitars themselves.

Almost all Standards are made on the USA-line. The Standard in your OP was built by the CS - probably because it was part of a small-run series. It might well be a slightly better-built Standard than the regular USA-line Standard in the small details. Whether or not it plays and sounds better than a regular USA Standard is open to conjecture. As a CS instrument it probably does have a claim to be of intrinsically 'more value' than a USA-line guitar but this is only important to SOME folks.

Probably clear as mud, now, though?...

Pip.

Yup, new guitars depreciate immensely after purchase - no mystery there. I looked at used '68 RI LP Customs in Triburst, and they were going around $3k give or take used. What I was getting at with what you quoted me saying is that no way would I pay what I paid for my LP Custom if it were being purchased used... Value not there. I debated buying used for a few months before deciding to take advantage of the Gear Card special going on this year. With new guitar, you have warranty FWIW, 45-day return period at GC, 5% reward points, and 0% for 48-months on top of discounts on gear practically for life every time I barter with them over prices on pickups, gear, etc. because I mention how much I buy form them over the years. Whatever on this. Bottom line is if you wanted my guitar, you have to take your chances on the used market and pay all up front, or go to GC. Nowhere was this guitar available that I could find brand new for a better price that I could run across. And to boot, availability was primarily only at GC... I know Musician's Friend sold the same LP Custom I bought some time ago, and it was for same MSRP as GC I believe as you are not getting deal from this place either. Glad your LP Custom used works for you. Mine is doing fine thank you.

You’re the one who brought up not “value not warranting price”.

Guest Farnsbarns

Many would argue that this is a step up from a "custom".

Here's how it works. The Les Paul Custom is a model, made (see note below) in the same factory as all Gibson USA Les Pauls.

The custom shop, formally Gibson art and historic division, was set up (1993? Pip?) in theory, to make custom orders and special runs with the best wood available. They also make reissues and collectors choice (reissue which copy an actual, specific guitar) Which are considered by many to be the best Gibson Les Pauls today. They have 50s correct appointments which some like, the period correct parts have generally been improved upon in terms of practicality and design but as rct is won't to say, guitarists are funny.

Note: in the last few years Gibson started building the Les Paul Custom model in the custom shop but for many decades they were a Gibson USA model.

Gibson have a long history of using obtuse nomenclature which contradicts itself and uses the same words to describe completely different things in different lines. For example, only Gibson would have a "traditional" Les Paul Traditional and a high performance Les Paul Traditional. They've completely muddied the water on what traditional means in the line up.

You're the one who brought up not "value not warranting price".

Whatever, I am not into arguing this. I clearly explained my point and elaborated on the quote you are calling me out on. If you want to be confrontational as this is the tone you seem to be setting, then I will back down and let you get your last word if it means so much to you. You obviously see it in a different light, so no use in wasting my breath. At least the OP knows what a new Custom Shop LP Custom costs, what you get for a price point in USD.

Whatever, I am not into arguing this. I clearly explained my point and elaborated on the quote you are calling me out on. If you want to be confrontational as this is the tone you seem to be setting, then I will back down and let you get your last word if it means so much to you. You obviously see it in a different light, so no use in wasting my breath. At least the OP knows what a new Custom Shop LP Custom costs, what you get for a price point in USD.

You brought up the “value warranting the cost” and said you paid 5.5k for a Custom.

Whether the “value warrants cost” is highly subjective. Unless I got a smoking deal I would never buy a new LP because there are decades of cheap used (relative to the cost of buying new) ones to choose from and a new one is just going to become “used” the second you open the box or take possession of it.

There are people out there that scoff at the idea of buying a Gibson LP period because you can buy a LP style guitar for a few hundred bucks that probably plays and sounds equal to a Gibson.

Just saying whether something is “worth it”, especially a Gibson guitar, is totally subjective. You wouldn’t pay $4,200 for a “Standard”, I wouldn’t either. But I also wouldn’t 5.5k for a Custom or hundreds of thousands for a 1960 Burst (unless I could turn around and flip it for more).

You say a new LP Custom has a warranty and zero interest.....yeah, but you’re paying $2,000-3,000 more than the cost of a used one. If you have decent credit you can get cards with zero interest transfer offers.

I’m just pointing out that the guy might think that “standard” does warrant the cost just like you think your Custom warranted paying 5.5k for.

You brought up the “value warranting the cost” and said you paid 5.5k for a Custom.

Whether the “value warrants cost” is highly subjective. Unless I got a smoking deal I would never buy a new LP because there are decades of cheap used (relative to the cost of buying new) ones to choose from and a new one is just going to become “used” the second you open the box or take possession of it.

There are people out there that scoff at the idea of buying a Gibson LP period because you can buy a LP style guitar for a few hundred bucks that probably plays and sounds equal to a Gibson.

Just saying whether something is “worth it”, especially a Gibson guitar, is totally subjective. You wouldn’t pay $4,200 for a “Standard”, I wouldn’t either. But I also wouldn’t 5.5k for a Custom or hundreds of thousands for a 1960 Burst (unless I could turn around and flip it for more).

You say a new LP Custom has a warranty and zero interest.....yeah, but you’re paying $2,000-3,000 more than the cost of a used one. If you have decent credit you can get cards with zero interest transfer offers.

I’m just pointing out that the guy might think that “standard” does warrant the cost just like you think your Custom warranted paying 5.5k for.

Point taken. I respect your outlook on the situation and believe that you have many valid points as well.

Only thing is that I can't get any 0% credit line for 48-months. Especially if I am buying used, who is going to accept a credit card from me? I could possibly use PayPal to charge up that 0% credit card if I buy via eBay or Reverb - my only options to find the guitar I wanted - but 48-months! I am unaware of a credit card that allows me to take advantage of "same as cash" for that long for some arbitrary purposes. I pay ~$114 a month for my guitar for 48 times (months). I felt that this financing promotion was something to take advantage of.

Point taken. I respect your outlook on the situation and believe that you have many valid points as well.

Only thing is that I can't get any 0% credit line for 48-months. Especially if I am buying used, who is going to accept a credit card from me? I could possibly use PayPal to charge up that 0% credit card if I buy via eBay or Reverb - my only options to find the guitar I wanted - but 48-months! I am unaware of a credit card that allows me to take advantage of "same as cash" for that long for some arbitrary purposes. I pay ~$114 a month for my guitar for 48 times (months). I felt that this financing promotion was something to take advantage of.

What I do is buy something with one card then transfer it to another. I paid off a car loan that way once and if I ever make a big purchase on credit that’s what I do.. I didn’t pay anything in interest. Sometimes they have transfer fees but not always and they usually aren’t much.

If you have good credit it’s pretty easy to avoid paying much interest on CC, unless you just totally abuse them.

And I’m not knocking you or your guitar, if you never plan on selling it’s value doesn’t matter much. I bought my dad a LP Classic new in 1994 and I’m sure I overpaid (I actually don’t remember what it cost) but I got it after he died and I’m never going to sell it so what I paid or what it’s currently worth is irrelevant.

Archived