Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Les Paul Snandard 2018 HP fast-access heel

Michael Sage

Hello! Could You help me? I have a question about the heel of the Les Paul Standard 2018 HP. That guitar has the fast-access heel. Is it reduced regular heel? Or is it new construction (deep tenon or another)? What is the reliability of the fast-access heel? Is the regular heel more durable than the fast-access heel? Many thanks in advance :-)

post-88910-053101200 1512473633_thumb.png

The massive heel of the Les Paul is proof that nobody calculated any stresses back in 1952. Its as over engineered as any Victorian bridge.

They almost certainly still dont do any stress calc, but just look at the 80's style shredder guitars. Narrow necks and almost no heels on 24 fret guitars! My Jackson Soloist has had a perfectly stable neck with over 20 years of hard use. Yet it looks fragile compared to any Les Paul.

I'm confident that HP fast-access heels are absolutely fit for purpose.

The massive heel of the Les Paul is proof that nobody calculated any stresses back in 1952. Its as over engineered as any Victorian bridge.

They almost certainly still dont do any stress calc, but just look at the 80's style shredder guitars. Narrow necks and almost no heels on 24 fret guitars! My Jackson Soloist has had a perfectly stable neck with over 20 years of hard use. Yet it looks fragile compared to any Les Paul.

I'm confident that HP fast-access heels are absolutely fit for purpose.

I know it. I used to have a Jackson Soloist, but Jackson is made of alder or poplar and it has maple neck. Maple neck is more durable than mahogany neck. The Les Paul has fragile mahogany neck and it can break on the head (We all know it) and on the heel. Look at the photo. I am afraid of the fast-access heel, it may be more fragile, than regular heel. Or am I a paranoid?

post-88910-078609300 1512505769_thumb.jpg

I know it. I used to have a Jackson Soloist, but Jackson is made of alder or poplar and it has maple neck. Maple neck is more durable than mahogany neck. The Les Paul has fragile mahogany neck and it can break on the head (We all know it) and on the heel. Look at the photo. I am afraid of the fast-access heel, it may be more fragile, than regular heel. Or am I a paranoid?

Certainly we must be careful with mahogany necks, but they are no less susceptible to breakage regardless of how they are joined or the length of the tenon joint attaching them.

I would suppose that a short tenon joint is used on all USA Les Pauls. This has been used for a long time now. The MIJ enthusiasts make much of the fact that MIJ LP copies are often of long tenon construction but no one seems to be able to point to any evidence that this was any more successful in practical terms.

Hmm. I have the Les Paul Traditional T 2017 and I'm gonna buy the Les Paul Standard 2018 HP in a 7-8 months. Moreover, I have Fender American Standard Telecaster 2011 60th Anniversary and Fender American Elite Stratocaster 2016. They are more strong than all Gibsons. Armour construction. Any Gibson is fragile like a porcelain bowl of the Ming Dynasty. We are must be careful with them.😊

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived