Gibson Brands Forums

Looking at a Used J-35 Thoughts and Price check

GuitarPlayer919

I have a really sweet sounding and playing J-45 TV (limited edition from 2008) that I adore.

I gig 1-2 times a month with it and now feeling maybe it's "too nice" ...

Well... what if something happened to it?

It could not easily be replaced.

So Over weekend I found a '13 J-35 for $1000 .. Not too shabby.

Sounds great but different.. Def brighter or more mid range sounding (not in a bad way).

Neck is great .. Very close to my J-45...

The guitar seems like a good one!

QUESTION:

Is $1000 a good or great price?

I may decide to sell it and get another J45. So don't want to lose much.

IT has fair share of few dings and some scratches..

I'd say it is in "Good" condition.. Not excellent.

But right now cannot afford much more than the $1000... Would love to keep it in Gibson Family. Just love the feel of the J's and Short Scale and neck carve.

Lastly, anyone comment on the Baggs Element PU.... I have not played it through an amp yet. But "heard" not so great things about it. So now looking at maybe a K&K Mini? Easy swap.

Comments and thoughts?

Thanks !

Here she is..

AIQCeJUl.jpg

A couple of years back I would have said $1K is a really good price. Based on what I have been watching J-35s go for these days I would place it on the good side of normal. I doubt you can do much better on price though.

Cannot help you with the pickup. I am the guy whose "Holy Grail" pickup remains the old DiMarzio DP 139. Folks seem to like the K & K though. Of those I have gotten my hands on my favorite is the Sunrise mag pickup. Pretty pricey though.

Your description of sound seemed spot on to me. I always kind of thought of the current crop of J-35s as the poster children for New School Gibson Tone.

One of my local shops has a 2013 J35 hanging on the wall on consignment. Asking price is $1250. Pretty close to mint condition. I'm sure the owner would negotiate on price. So, figuring the one you saw is a private sale, that's pretty much in the ballpark. If it's in a shop, it's a great deal.

These days, $1000 for a decent Gibson - around this neck of the woods, at least, is about the best you can do. The J-35, in any incarnation, isn't a J-45. To me, they have their own merits and still sound like Gibsons. One of each? Excellent notion!

Yup from J-15, J-29, J-35, J-45, 180's, 200's and so forth... [thumbup]

By the way the 2013 models that were initially introduced came with string gauges 11-52

The 2016/2018 are fitted with 12's

BTW? the 2013 back then can be had new/street price for about $1300, so I think you got a good deal there as good condition give or take. [thumbup] As long as it plays and sounds good I am sold. Dents and dings add character and ownership.

Cheers!

Yup from J-15, J-29, J-35, J-45, 180's, 200's and so forth... [thumbup]

By the way the 2013 models that were initially introduced came with string gauges 11-52

The 2016/2018 are fitted with 12's

BTW? the 2013 back then can be had new/street price for about $1300, so I think you got a good deal their as good condition give or take. [thumbup] As long as it plays and sounds good I am sold. Dents and dings add character and ownership.

Cheers!

Thanks all....

I was pretty sure that I wanted it.

But just needed a little last minute boost of support!

Who better to turn to than a Gibson Forum?

Went and got it today during my lunch..

So will be a bit longer until I get to check her out fully.

Needs a good cleaning and strings...

It's actually nicer condition than I remembered.

But sounded really great...

even with the old dull strings..

But I will be putting a set of 12-53 Elixir Nano that he gave me. Or I may opt for some John Pearse 12s .. That I have on hand. My J-45 dig them too!

Did you ask what gauges was on there before you bought it? Nonetheless when and if you do swap them from 11's if its is then to 12's, you might do a little tweak on the neck for action. Most likely you wont if 12's are on there. I reckon you know all this bits already so play on!!

Congrats! you will love your J-35. [thumbup]

Did you ask what gauges was on there before you bought it? Nonetheless when and if you do swap them from 11's if its is then to 12's, you might do a little tweak on the neck for action. Most likely you wont if 12's are on there. I reckon you know all this bits already so play on!!

Congrats! you will love your J-35. [thumbup]

Thanks for the advice.. Ya I didn't ask on the strings. I normally use 12s. So will check all the setup and also check the pickup. To make sure it is properly installed.

Well... I bought the J-35 and spent the evening cleaning, changed the strings and slight tweak to the truss rod.

But pretty sure I will be changing the Pickup to something else.

But I haven't played it too much through an amp to make determination.

SO far... It is quite different from my J-45... I still like the J-45 better. My J45 just has that low end growl that is not present in the 35. The 35 is brighter and has more mid range...

But gonna give the John Pearse PB 600 strings some play time. Usually 1 day and they mellow out.

Here's my pair of sisters... Young Blond J-35 and my older '08 J-45 TV.

MbetDpC.jpg

Perfect pair of bookends - visually and sound-wise. Nothing like spending your lunch hour buying those early Christmas gifts (for ourselves!). I'm sure it will play as smooth as butter with new strings and you'll be spending lost hours enjoying this great find. Don't forget to take out some time to do some Christmas Shopping for the rest of the family!!!

Congrats!!

Yes brother! That's the spirit. We've just upped the game here to another level. Long gone are just the pictures only. Have to add a clip, doesn't matter if it's covered or your own ditty. We want to hear that fresh sounding 6 string of ours.

Allman Brothers........my favorite...Ramblin' Man : Sweet Melissa etc.....Whipping Post. [thumbup]

Cheers!

Took my "new to me" J-35 out for an early evening brewery gig..

Small set up and it really sounded great... I used my TC Helicon Play Acoustic pedal.

The best part to me is this guitar feels and plays effortlessly!

However, it's not a J-45... This model def has more mid range and highs.. Doesn't have the "warmth".

But perhaps the venue added to this.. Concrete floor and high ceiling.

u4mDc14l.jpg

After the gig and thinking about the guitar this morning..

I'm having my 2nd thoughts on this J-35 from a sound point of view..

My honest feeling is that I will prob return or exchange it.

(I do have 30 days to get full refund )

Whether amplified or not... It's just not doing it for me.

All the strings are the same in terms of Volume,

it's kinda bright sounding too.. Not warm at all.

Little string separation or depth (like my J-45).

I decided to buy it because it's a relative low cost Gig guitar.

It serves the purpose.. But not very inspiring..

On the "plus side" and reason I may keep.. I have VERY sensitive wrist (fretting hand)...

This and my J-45 have very similar or near identical necks.

So I am not experiencing any pain * I sold 3 guitars this year (Larrivee OM, Alvarez dread and Martin D18).

So maybe I can change strings? (using JPearse 600L now).

Maybe lighter gauge?

Any advice string brand wise to "warm" it up?

THX !

After the gig and thinking about the guitar this morning..

I'm having my 2nd thoughts on this J-35 from a sound point of view..

My honest feeling is that I will prob return or exchange it.

(I do have 30 days to get full refund )

Whether amplified or not... It's just not doing it for me.

All the strings are the same in terms of Volume,

it's kinda bright sounding too.. Not warm at all.

Little string separation or depth (like my J-45).

I decided to buy it because it's a relative low cost Gig guitar.

It serves the purpose.. But not very inspiring..

On the "plus side" and reason I may keep.. I have VERY sensitive wrist (fretting hand)...

This and my J-45 have very similar or near identical necks.

So I am not experiencing any pain * I sold 3 guitars this year (Larrivee OM, Alvarez dread and Martin D18).

So maybe I can change strings? (using JPearse 600L now).

Maybe lighter gauge?

Any advice string brand wise to "warm" it up?

THX !

If you're not in a 200 % honeymoon mood with orgasmic feelings as soon as you grab it... i'd do what you suggested first : return it.

You will never be happy with it. Another baby is waiting for you somewhere and you dont know about it yet !

Yeah man.. Sorry to hear such disappointment [confused] , maybe give it time and another shot with an alternative string gauge and/or maybe an ebony pins etc. Does it need humidification? is it dry or dead sounding etc.?

My J-35 just rings with warmth. [thumbup]

Here is a clip : No EQ settings just as is with a set of RotoSound JK 12's

http://chirb.it/kLm5vb

Just got to tweak her nicely as you never know. Does the place you got her from offer a complimentary set-up etc.?

Good Luck!

Yeah man.. Sorry to hear such disappointment [confused] , maybe give it time and another shot with an alternative string gauge and/or maybe an ebony pins etc. Does it need humidification? is it dry or dead sounding etc.?

My J-35 just rings with warmth. [thumbup]

Here is a clip : No EQ settings just as is with a set of RotoSound JK 12's

http://chirb.it/kLm5vb

Just got to tweak her nicely as you never know. Does the place you got her from offer a complimentary set-up etc.?

Good Luck!

Thanks.

Ya... That sounds very nice.

Here's a quick recording of mine.

https://soundcloud.com/midnight_rider_music/zoom0016mp3

Well my own poor experience is that if it does not work from start, it will never do.

You will try other strings or setup but still will never get completely satisfied. You have to feel that vibe !

Btw i really like the sound of it in your record !... sweet and clean.

Nice mids and low and still well balanced sound.

Thanks.

Ya... That sounds very nice.

Here's a quick recording of mine.

https://soundcloud.com/midnight_rider_music/zoom0016mp3

Hmmm kind of hard to argue where you think you are not gelling with this guitar at all.

It does rather sound bright and thin but depending on the gauge of strings you have etc.

It's got a nice ring to it. Remember that you have the other J-45 that your ear/feel/sound etc. accustomed to it. Maybe you are wanting it to sound somewhat similar to the 45?

The J-35 is it complete it's own character in sound now. It will never sound the same as the others. [biggrin]

It took me a while to come to terms with the J-35 sound dry and woody with great mid's that's not to harsh or overpowering and I know I wasn't about to return it and I still have it.

Sorry to say that if its not your cup of tea then you got to do what you got to do.

I think the sound is fine if not great! Do you think it had opened up to it most potential? You can only know I presumed.

What any man's great acoustic sound, may not be anyone's ideal sound I can only reckon [rolleyes]

Both of our takes do sound different and could be said the opposite of what we both think is the sound.

Peace!

Thanks for the replies.

Well! In the "big scheme of things" ...

It is a wonderful guitar and value for me.

I just spent time with it again and it plays like "butter" (for lack of better word)..

Meaning it is effortless... Many a guitar I fight with to play.

These Gibson's are good for me play wise.

Yes It's a tad bright or maybe "modern sounding".

Perhaps the John Pearse 600 PBs 12-53 are not right choice.

This guitar could just need some play time..

I have a set of Elixir 12-53 Nanweb (PB)..

Or maybe the 11s are a choice *since I believe the lights were orig equipped on this model in '13.

Hmmm kind of hard to argue where you think you are not gelling with this guitar at all.

It does rather sound bright and thin but depending on the gauge of strings you have etc.

It's got a nice ring to it. Remember that you have the other J-45 that your ear/feel/sound etc. accustomed to it. Maybe you are wanting it to sound somewhat similar to the 45?

The J-35 is it complete it's own character in sound now. It will never sound the same as the others. [biggrin]

It took me a while to come to terms with the J-35 sound dry and woody with great mid's that's not to harsh or overpowering and I know I wasn't about to return it and I still have it.

Sorry to say that if its not your cup of tea then you got to do what you got to do.

I think the sound is fine if not great! Do you think it had opened up to it most potential? You can only know I presumed.

What any man's great acoustic sound, may not be anyone's ideal sound I can only reckon [rolleyes]

Both of our takes do sound different and could be said the opposite of what we both think is the sound.

Peace!

Thanks for the replies.

Well! In the "big scheme of things" ...

It is a wonderful guitar and value for me.

I just spent time with it again and it plays like "butter" (for lack of better word)..

Meaning it is effortless... Many a guitar I fight with to play.

These Gibson's are good for me play wise.

Yes It's a tad bright or maybe "modern sounding".

Perhaps the John Pearse 600 PBs 12-53 are not right choice.

This guitar could just need some play time..

I have a set of Elixir 12-53 Nanweb (PB)..

Or maybe the 11s are a choice *since I believe the lights were orig equipped on this model in '13.

Hey a great turn of event here brother!! The string choice you had noted gave it away, jump her up to 12's and forget the 11's.The set you have on their is too light in sound/tone/chimey and would probably be alright if you fingerpick, nonetheless it has the broken in feel and the openness you want to hear. The 35's needs to be in the case unless you play her a lot often. I noticed that they are easily climatised and need to dry out a bit and not overly one or the other. hen all else is new as in set up and strings etc. and you take her out to play? They tend to sound different and sort of dead, but once they warm up and acclimate to the temperature normally? they can give in return that nice open airy woody tone that I think the 35's can only give over the other models that we are so used to listening/reading/playing.

Archived