Gibson Brands Forums: Nearly That Time Again.... - Gibson Brands Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Nearly That Time Again.... Warning: Lowden Content

#1 User is offline   BluesKing777 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 6979
  • Joined: 20-February 11

Posted 05 December 2017 - 06:13 PM

Yes, it is nearly that time of year again... [biggrin]


So I recorded a version of a track you may know/may not - on my huge Lowden O22 (thanks to Doug Young!):




https://soundcloud.com/bk7-3/silent777




BluesKing777.
0

#2 User is offline   bassetman 

  • Just play the thing
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 329
  • Joined: 04-January 16
  • LocationFar Eastern Washington State.

Posted 05 December 2017 - 06:30 PM

Sounds very nice. Thanks.
J-45 Koa Elite, 2014
J-35 2016
LG-2 American Eagle 2017
J-15 2017
AJ Flame Maple Deluxe 2016
Breedlove solo 12 cedar top.
0

#3 User is offline   BluesKing777 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 6979
  • Joined: 20-February 11

Posted 06 December 2017 - 06:01 PM

View Postbassetman, on 05 December 2017 - 06:30 PM, said:

Sounds very nice. Thanks.






Thanks Bassetman!



BluesKing777.
0

#4 User is offline   the other side 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 284
  • Joined: 13-March 16

Posted 07 December 2017 - 03:43 PM

I absolutely enjoyed that BK. I love hearing things with the player's originality (version) and keeping the identity of the song recognizable. Silent Night.
Thx
0

#5 User is offline   AnneS 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 1440
  • Joined: 20-August 10
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 07 December 2017 - 04:38 PM

That's sweet, indeed, BK--thanks for sharing it!
Gibson 2000 J-100XT
Gibson 1964 LG-1
Gibson 2014 J-45 Elite Custom
Ibanez PN1 Parlor

"He woulda taken the other road, but he didn't think the lake was that deep." JPrine

http://soundcloud.com/anne-rachel
0

#6 User is offline   Jalex 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 469
  • Joined: 21-April 13
  • LocationColumbus, Georgia

Posted 07 December 2017 - 06:54 PM

That was great, has me gassing for a Lowden again.....
2012 Gibson J-50
1963 Gibson Hummingbird
2011 GIbson J-185 New Vintage
2014 Taylor 512ce 12-fret
2017 Taylor 150e 12 String
Martin DX1
0

#7 User is offline   BluesKing777 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 6979
  • Joined: 20-February 11

Posted 07 December 2017 - 09:44 PM

Thanks for that!

I was trying to loosen up a tune in DADGAD that I read off the TAB but added Celt fills here and there......
My recording is only a fraction of the truly remarkable tone that comes out of a Lowden O22. Thunderous, could be the word I look for.
But on the other hand, it is a guitar designed mainly for fingerstyle....and the first time I have done that so....large....
It is not the size guitar I usually go for, as some of you know...but I should NOT have played it at the rotten shop......history after that [flapper]



BluesKing777.

This post has been edited by BluesKing777: 07 December 2017 - 09:49 PM

0

#8 User is offline   kidblast 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 8656
  • Joined: 29-March 12
  • LocationCentral Mass (U.S.A.)

Posted 08 December 2017 - 11:35 AM

ah thats from his DADGAD Christmas album right?. I have the mp3s and charts, and do a few too.. fun stuff.
/Ray
0

#9 User is offline   BluesKing777 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 6979
  • Joined: 20-February 11

Posted 08 December 2017 - 06:17 PM

View Postkidblast, on 08 December 2017 - 11:35 AM, said:

ah thats from his DADGAD Christmas album right?. I have the mp3s and charts, and do a few too.. fun stuff.



Yes, that’s the one!

Many, many thorough layers to the book - I have had Doug’s “Understanding DADGAD for Fingerstyle Guitarists” for quite a while, which is a ‘learn the nuts and bolts’ type of book. I got that one because I had learned all kinds of DADGAD tunes from various sources, but could not play a tune that anyone would recognise. So the Christmassy ones are a start at that, but it also conveniently has the standard tuning chords/music above the TAB, so we can peel off Jingle Bells! [tongue] [tongue] [flapper] Handy if I get the sack and have to play out the front of the shops! [mellow]

I have yet to find a book with faves in DADGAD - it is always something grand, Celtic, Irish or Appalachian this and that! While it is good to work out tunes, it is also good to see someone like Doug’s ideas on the whole tune.



BluesKing777.

This post has been edited by BluesKing777: 08 December 2017 - 06:19 PM

0

#10 User is offline   flatbaroque 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 2373
  • Joined: 24-September 10

Posted 09 December 2017 - 12:22 AM

Sounded great..I wanted more! I think Jerry asked for silent night covers a few years ago..BK you've finally delivered!!
Lowden seems like a good match for Xmas songs for some reason.maybe it's DADGADability.
0

#11 User is offline   BluesKing777 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 6979
  • Joined: 20-February 11

Posted 09 December 2017 - 03:45 PM

View Postflatbaroque, on 09 December 2017 - 12:22 AM, said:

Sounded great..I wanted more! I think Jerry asked for silent night covers a few years ago..BK you've finally delivered!!
Lowden seems like a good match for Xmas songs for some reason.maybe it's DADGADability.



Thanks FB....

I doubt anything except himself playing it would please old Jerry, and my version above in DADGAD, actually tuned down 2 to CGCFGC which is not so easy squeezy to say, would probably annoy him more than your version!


BluesKing777.

This post has been edited by BluesKing777: 09 December 2017 - 03:54 PM

0

#12 User is offline   kelly campbell 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 5945
  • Joined: 12-May 13
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 10 December 2017 - 10:41 AM

Sounds great as usual. Thanks BBK
0

#13 User is offline   kidblast 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 8656
  • Joined: 29-March 12
  • LocationCentral Mass (U.S.A.)

Posted 10 December 2017 - 05:16 PM

View PostBluesKing777, on 08 December 2017 - 06:17 PM, said:

Yes, that’s the one!

Many, many thorough layers to the book - I have had Doug’s “Understanding DADGAD for Fingerstyle Guitarists” for quite a while, which is a ‘learn the nuts and bolts’ type of book. I got that one because I had learned all kinds of DADGAD tunes from various sources, but could not play a tune that anyone would recognise. So the Christmassy ones are a start at that, but it also conveniently has the standard tuning chords/music above the TAB, so we can peel off Jingle Bells! [tongue] [tongue] [flapper] Handy if I get the sack and have to play out the front of the shops! [mellow]

I have yet to find a book with faves in DADGAD - it is always something grand, Celtic, Irish or Appalachian this and that! While it is good to work out tunes, it is also good to see someone like Doug’s ideas on the whole tune.



BluesKing777.


Agree BK,,, there's some very good pieces in that book. The First Noel is a fine piece.. check it out if you haven't.. some nice twists in there. I may offer that one up for the Christmas vigil at our parish Christmas ever. Craig our music director is looking for prelude music,, that would fit it I think..


btw.. Alex De Grassi is one guy that I have paid close attention too over the last few decades.

He has a few dadgad pieces that I find rather exquisite. a piece called Mirage is one of them.. Alex is a master of alternate tuning finger style playing and composition. Look him up, some of his work is quite inspirational and NOT easy..

This post has been edited by kidblast: 10 December 2017 - 05:19 PM

/Ray
0

#14 User is offline   BluesKing777 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 6979
  • Joined: 20-February 11

Posted 10 December 2017 - 06:42 PM

View Postkelly campbell, on 10 December 2017 - 10:41 AM, said:

Sounds great as usual. Thanks BBK



Thanks again, KC!

Glad you liked it!



BluesKing777.
0

#15 User is offline   BluesKing777 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 6979
  • Joined: 20-February 11

Posted 10 December 2017 - 06:52 PM

View Postkidblast, on 10 December 2017 - 05:16 PM, said:

Agree BK,,, there's some very good pieces in that book. The First Noel is a fine piece.. check it out if you haven't.. some nice twists in there. I may offer that one up for the Christmas vigil at our parish Christmas ever. Craig our music director is looking for prelude music,, that would fit it I think..


btw.. Alex De Grassi is one guy that I have paid close attention too over the last few decades.

He has a few dadgad pieces that I find rather exquisite. a piece called Mirage is one of them.. Alex is a master of alternate tuning finger style playing and composition. Look him up, some of his work is quite inspirational and NOT easy..



Thanks Ray!

I know something of De Grassi - another peculiar thing about loving acoustic guitars is how you ‘come across things’ while looking for something else......

I often have the iPad playing youtubes next to my work computer lately (no soundcard on the cheapskate work computer, but we won’t be denied) - After getting my small Lowden, I looked at anything to do with them on video and came across quite a few artists that I have never heard of. The Lowden inner circle includes Alex with his custom maple!

And once they are playing on youtube, and I get working and busy, it will start going through every thing they have... there are a couple there where he looks at least 30 years younger! Great stuff though! (Though I am not liking chorus pedals on amplified Lowdens much - prefer straight acoustic, but live they have to do what they got to do).


BluesKing777.
0

#16 User is offline   kidblast 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 8656
  • Joined: 29-March 12
  • LocationCentral Mass (U.S.A.)

Posted 11 December 2017 - 06:08 AM

Alex has been around for some time now, I think one of his earliest albums may date back to the early 90s. He's not as active these days it seems, I think he does week long work shops in the mid US still. Hanging out with a guy like for a week would be incredible.
/Ray
0

Share this topic:


Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users